Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Code Update Q&A - 01/23/2011
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:54 am 
Mortal

Wait, does this mean sorcs can charm good charm NPC's and hoard them and scouts can hoard good charm tames? If so that's a huge problem. Not only that, can multiple NPC's be created this way? I mean what if a sorc can have 2 Lathrons? That'd be really bad.

The warlock change is nice, though I still say elementals should require concentration rather than be on a timer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:04 am 
Implementor

Hmm... no, they can't hoard creatures. But it does bring up a point that I hadn't considered. If you charm a unique creature and quit with it, then it will eventually re-pop. When you log back in, there will now be two of them in the game. There may need to be an additional code change to deal with this, although I'm not sure what we want to do about it yet. Perhaps unique creatures should not be allowed to save. Feel free to give your opinions.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:14 am 
Mortal

I don't know. Unique creatures need to save simply because of scouts. I mean things like the Swamp boa, golden mane lion and other tames that are singular spawns and such would be hurt. The scout would have to go track down the tame again every log in and would be inconvenienced, especially when the pets have some pretty big travel times. (Ie on the other end of the realms where you log off.)

Is there any way to set a nosave flag for NPCs and such perhaps much like items? That way when you log off you can't save Lathron or such. This'll allow scouts to keep their tames but not allow sorcs to intentionally spawn multiple lathons or so. Sorry if it's not helpful, just brainstorming and sharing concerns.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:27 am 
Implementor

There is a difference between a guy like Lathron who is a unique character and a golden maned lion. Even if the lion only spawns in a single location, he is not necessarily one-of-a-kind in the entire world. I don't think most scout pets would be impacted by a change to prevent unique NPCs from saving.

ALSO: If you are using pets and see anything strange or the game becomes unstable, please let me know ASAP. Making multiple pets save probably doesn't sound like a big deal but it was a fairly major change and it could cause the game to crash if I didn't cover all the bases exactly right.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:32 am 

It appears that pets gained through charm person do not properly respawn when logging back in. The spell is released on logout and is not listed on release once logged back in, which might explain why the pet isn't there, either.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:58 am 
Mortal

Alright after the mUD came back up I tried to buy a pet with my scout. I couldn't purchase one and upon releasing it I tried to tame my boa back. I couldn't and it instead crawled west and poofed into nothingness.

Edit: After releasing the pet and the escaping boa, I went looking to find another pet, a very low level one. I had an impossible time taming and and in fact it couldn't be tamed. Afterwards I logged out and immediately logged back. Tamed the pet without any problems.

Apparently buying a storebought pet and releasing it prohibits you from taming anymore pets until you log out for some reason.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:40 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
I'd prefer that unique charms/controls couldn't be hoarded, but other than that sounds like an interesting change, even though it buffs scouts even more.

Charms also don't save over logout. I logged out with Bill Kourney and a store-bought pet, and when I logged back in I had no pet, just like before the update.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:44 am 
Mortal

I don't know, a lot of the charmable NPCs that sorcerers use are unique little snowflakes. If unique charms can't save onto the file then what's the point? Not that I'm arguing for sorcerers to get buffs, they're one of the last classes that actually needs this sort of thing, so I would be pro not saving unique charms.

The animate dead nerf was a pretty good change though. Necromancers desperately needed a wimp in some form, and then any buff to warlocks is definitely welcome. But seriously, a good addition to warlocks is to make any Dark-Avenger character die instantly to magma spray, no save, no magic resistance.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:55 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
Deep-elf necros are pretty much done with regarding the necromancer change. That's not bad, just interesting to note.

Come to think of it, necromancers are probably done as a whole.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:02 am 
Mortal

If necros can only carry 8 animates, I think it's time for them to get shrink and enlarge, or bring back the mephit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next