Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: RE for lighties
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:21 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
There's a certain griffon-only item which grants Resist Elements to all PCs in the room when activated, and I'm pretty sure there's even two copies of it. I don't know of any darkie equivalent item that grants RE at a wide scale, and a lot of the other RE items in the game have been nerfed or removed.

I'm fine with having special griffon-only gear as an incentive for playing a griffon, but as it currently stands, this really hampers grey and darkie warlocks, especially darkies.

Can this item get a nerf, maybe to only grant RE to other griffons as opposed to all other PCs? Given that so many of the other RE items in the game have been removed, I think this is only fair.

Post subject: Re: RE for lighties
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:22 am 
Mortal

a lot of the gear wertrrew made was really overpowered and has been nerfed, like the cloak and the necklace from selhys. not sure how the item u mentioned has managed to go this long without getting toned down. even if the resist elements script got nerfed to only grant resist elements to the griffon wielding it, it would still be absurdly powerful.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:37 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Theodoric
Especially when everything else from that area got corrected. I think the oversight was leaving the group-affect in when the item in question was made griffon-only. Just gives team lightie 100% uptime resist elements (and GM armor, which is more hax!) when a griffon player's around.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:11 pm 
Immortal

For the record, this item was nerfed, and there are definitely some non-facts that have been shared in this thread so far. Anyhow, I considered that the item provided an unfair advantage to lighties, but non-griffon, non-lighties can employ shenanigans to use it and, at the time of the Great Rebalance of 2015, it in fact was in the hands of a non-griffon, non-lightie, being put to occasional use. All that said, even with the potential for shenanigans, it does skew heavily lightie, and, like some other equipment addressed at the time, it went from "way too powerful" to "probably still too powerful," so I put in a tweak just now that should preserve the usefulness of the item and the original builder's intent, but without being too unbalancing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:56 pm 
Mortal

Having a group affecting resist elements item is a huge boost for traveling through the wastelands and dreamscape.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:22 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Caric
Murcia wrote:
Having a group affecting resist elements item is a huge boost for traveling through the wastelands and dreamscape.

When you compare that to just having an evil cabal spells it isnt that huge a boost for PvE.

Thuban I think you have failed to preserve the intent of the builder which was to give a griffon a way to make up for the fact they have a very limited number of item slots. What it has been replaced with is something that has a massive weak point which is the fact magma ignores ME. Perhaps a bless spell could help make up for it by giving them saves. But then people would complain about blessing a whole group. The real issue was not that it buffed a griffon (because dispel could solve that problem in PvP). The real issue was the fact it buffed the whole group. Making it target the griffon only would have been a simple tweak that would have altered it in a way to test if it was still too powerful. The result of your significant alteration is likely lack of griffons to test it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:10 am 
Mortal

Cordance wrote:
Murcia wrote:

When you compare that to just having an evil cabal spells it isnt that huge a boost for PvE.

fail argument is fail

the fist is far superior to both the crucible and midnight council when it comes to anything PvE related. not sure why u brought cabal abilities into the conversation tho cuz it has nothing to do with the item that got changed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:14 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Caric
Let me set out my logic play by play Finney.
As far as traveling in the wastelands/dreamscape. The "huge" boon granted is reduced damage from some foes. That is good means less down time so faster travel. However there is a cabal spell that lets you avoid a lot of fights completely. Which means faster travel. Because in most PvE content it is time that is the problem not the challenge of the fight itself. Then you also need to mention that using the item in a dangerous area can potentially kill your own party.

As far as the item itself.
Griffons = sub optimal.
RE for a griffon it brings it up to somewhere a melee griffon is playable as you can skimp on one kind of save and push for higher saves else where to reach semi comparable numbers with full armored players.
Which would you rather be playing a griffon with RE or any other race with RE. I know that 90% of people would pick any other race.
So the item is too powerful as it can give any other race RE defeating the idea of bring griffons up.
If you then compare a griffon with RE to a non griffon with out RE it is probably reaching a more even playing field. It probably starts to come down to what you are up against. In a general case most people are going to choose another race against a warlock RE griffon is probably up on your choice.

Thats my logic the issue is not the RE itself for a griffon the issue is that it buffs the group.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:22 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
I don't think that the evil cabal spell you're referring to is that useful in the dreamscape because I'm pretty sure the majority of the NPCs there totally ignore it. Even if they didn't, since you have to cover so much ground in the dreamscape and the overwhelming majority of NPCs are spawning NPCs, I'd be hard pressed to believe that it's worth using (Adhesive medical strip) in order to mitigate the time required to travel in it.

There does happen to be another darkie cabal skill that -is- really nice in the dreamscape, however.

As for my thoughts on the item nerfs, I'm not sure what it does now, but I'm glad if it doesn't provide group-wide RE anymore: Unless other aspects were nerfed, the item is still useful and far from overpowered now, whereas before it was blatantly overpowered. If it had already been changed to not lightie-zap before the nerfs, it's not as unbalanced aura-wise as I initially thought on creation of this thread, but it would have still been deserving of a nerf, especially with the majority of other RE items being removed or nerfed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:52 pm 
Mortal

Cordance wrote:
As far as the item itself.
Griffons = sub optimal.

kid there r lots of races that are r sub optimal, so by ur logic there should be overpowered, scripted gear for them too. griffons r bad, but centaurs are equally as bad and minotaurs r actually worse. werttrew put a lot of overpowered gear in his areas that eventually got nerfed - the change to this particular item was long over due.

Cordance wrote:
However there is a cabal spell that lets you avoid a lot of fights completely. Which means faster travel. Because in most PvE content it is time that is the problem not the challenge of the fight itself.

or u could compare that to the fist, which will mow down those same encounters with ease instead of skipping them. the midnight council ability ur talking about is not even that useful cuz a lot of stuff in the dreamscape and outer planes can see right through it. and it's horribly bad in any mixed group cuz then u rekt the non midnight council characters, if u use it during combat.

nearly forgot to mention that a lot of the stuff u encounter in both the dreamscape and outer planes doesn't actually spawn until u enter the room, which means that u can't see it with the look command to know that u should use the aforementioned cabal ability ahead of time. if ur just blindly using it every time you move, ur not going to move faster than u would without using it cuz of cast time and mana issues - it will just make ur trip take longer.

but none of that is really relevant - apples and oranges - cuz ur attempting to compare what was previously a grossly overpowered piece of gear with cabal abilities. but to make it even more absurd, ur not even accounting for the fact that griffons can join factions and get access to cabal abilities, too. abilities that r just as good, if not better, than the midnight council ability u keep mentioning.