All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Code Update 8/15/2016 Q&A
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:46 pm 
Implementor

Read the announcement here!

Post subject: Re: Code Update 8/15/2016 Q&A
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:42 am 
Mortal

On the additional pet, it would seem it has to be weaker than the first pet. Is that supposed to be the case?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:25 am 
Mortal

Second tame seems to be limited to store bought level and under, even if you change from your GM pet to an expert level one, second pet is stuck at level cap. This is not a useful feature other than coin gathering/holding items.

The rest of the tame package is nice.

The Enhanced Damage change is now making ranged attacks bounce off NPCs where this was not an issue before.

There is a loss of an attack every few rounds where before there were a full range of attacks.

Can we instead get a skill like marksmanship that acts like a ranged finesse giving us an accuracy and armor penetration bonus? This would be infinatly more usefull than a second storebought pet.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:49 am 
Mortal

1. What perceived issue was the tribunal armor addressing?

2. I recently suggesting nerfing melee damage CONCURRENT with nerfing NPC damage by the same proportional amount. You did only the first. I just saw it take 16 combat rounds to get an unbuffed fire elemental to 23%! PVE will now be completely miserable for everyone, instead of just for casters - driving players away!

3. Rally cry no longer buffs self --- how is making classes more dependent on each other a good thing with single digit who lists in prime time?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:58 am 
Implementor

Quote:
Second tame seems to be limited to store bought level and under, even if you change from your GM pet to an expert level one, second pet is stuck at level cap. This is not a useful feature other than coin gathering/holding items.

Although I do want the second creature to be weaker, I am definitely willing to tweak the numbers for the second tame. I was erring on the side of caution. Please send me a list of creatures that you think would be appropriate as a second and I will research further.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:07 pm 
Mortal

Dulrik wrote:
Quote:

Although I do want the second creature to be weaker, I am definitely willing to tweak the numbers for the second tame. I was erring on the side of caution. Please send me a list of creatures that you think would be appropriate as a second and I will research further.

Let me try it.

Ok. So Do Char level -15 levels as the tame threshhold. Make cha base 20 which would give you a +/- 0 on the second pet. Anything above or below 20 changes the level of the second pet. A 21 cha would allow a char level -14 level pet. A 19 cha would give you a char -16 level pet. So on and so forth. Races with higher char get to have a higher pet but I am sure have their own strengths.

Possibility that unmodded cha is the only factor for this bonus.

Last edited by TheX on Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:13 pm 
Mortal

I was skeptical about these changes after reading the update, but after testing them in the game - I think they are actually quite good. The tribunal armor, if nothing else, should be a good recruiting tool and provides a reason for low level characters to join a tribunal - a free set of armor to level with.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:45 pm 
Implementor

TheX wrote:
Let me try it.

Ok. So Do Char level -15 levels as the tame threshhold. Make cha base 20 which would give you a +/- 0 on the second pet. Anything above or below 20 changes the level of the second pet. A 21 cha would allow a char level -14 level pet. A 19 cha would give you a char -16 level pet. So on and so forth. Races with higher char get to have a higher pet but I am sure have their own strengths.

Possibility that unmodded cha is the only factor for this bonus.

Thanks! But in addition to the numbers, can you tell me specifically what creatures you would like to see available? Ideally (to me) the second creature would serve a different role. For example, the first is the tank while the second provides more DPS.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:35 pm 
Implementor

Shiwan wrote:
1. What perceived issue was the tribunal armor addressing?

My impression based on feedback and the numbers is that tribunals have been considered more drawback than upside for awhile. So there are really three changes (so far) to help with this:
  1. Constantly grinding for coin to keep the account filled was not fun and so we now let the tribunal control costs by choosing how much they want to employ bounty hunters.
  2. It was hard to defend with a group because non-tribunal members would get outlawed. Now they can at least be paroled by anyone in the tribunal. I was even thinking about pardon, but decided to be cautious. A parole will help until pardon can be arranged.
  3. Tribunal members are innately driven to defend even in non-advantageous circumstances, which tends to lead to loss of life and frequent re-equip. The new tribunal outfit is only decent but it will definitely give you a head start and help protect you while you gather other gear.
There was also a proposal to grant tribunal members a resurrection, but I didn't want to go that far. And before you ask, I also didn't want to go back to giving tribunals the things that used to make them popular (spell casting from NPCs).

Shiwan wrote:
3. Rally cry no longer buffs self --- how is making classes more dependent on each other a good thing with single digit who lists in prime time?

Rally cry was only supposed to be a group buff from the very beginning. Mercs don't need this buff to function. In fact, even though they don't have many unique abilities, they are indisputably the king of combat classes, so are first in line for a bit of rebalancing. I didn't even touch the top end, since two mercs can still rally each other.

By the way, even if I didn't answer all the questions from a post, don't worry. I will circle back when I have more time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:43 pm 
Mortal

I didn't call out the trib parole or other good things - suppose I should have. Overall a buff package for tribunals Is very welcome. Just not sure that trib armor moved the needle.