Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Newbies in the mentor system
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:30 pm 
Mortal

I've been trying to read through all the mentor system threads lately, but if I missed an answer on this somewhere, Im very sorry.

Is there a way for a newbie to.. hmm I don't know, show appreciation for a mentor that really goes out of his or her way to help you? From my own experience and what I've picked up from other new players is that the level of help is hugely different depending on who you are luckly enough to get. Some go through the motions, train you and run away as soon as they reasonably can get away with it. Others take the time and spend -hours-, literally, on making sure that the new un is settled in, has contacts, know where to go, who to speak, how to roleplay, who can teach them about their faith etc. etc.

I don't know if the system already picks up on the timespan used somehow, but if it doesnt, is it possible somehow to give a thumbs up that could be remembered for later use?

PS - I wasnt sure whether to post this here or in the mentor rewarding thread, but decided on here because it relates more to the newbie side of it all. if that was wrong, I apologize.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:38 pm 
Mortal

'I'll remember you, and if ever I am in a position to somehow pay you for such kindness, you have but to ask.'

'I'll make sure anyone else I run into that looks like they could use help to see you.' (ie pass the word of this mentor's good deeds along IC).
Also over time, perhaps mentors who repeatedly go out of their way will become known by word of mouth. The better your reputation as a mentor, down the line, the more mentoring you may be asked to do, the more of a reward the mentor will get. ;)

Riley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:43 pm 
Mortal

Hmm yeah thats a good way of doing it IC for sure, but the new newbies won't know the 'word of mouth' or 'mentor gossip' of the mud, only the mentor command. I don't know if a lot of not-so-new newbies use it as well, but I imagine its the utterly clueless ones like me that require the most time and patience.

(Did that make any sense at all? :o Heh)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:52 pm 
Mortal

Leri wrote:
Hmm yeah thats a good way of doing it IC for sure, but the new newbies won't know the 'word of mouth' or 'mentor gossip' of the mud, only the mentor command. I don't know if a lot of not-so-new newbies use it as well, but I imagine its the utterly clueless ones like me that require the most time and patience.

(Did that make any sense at all? :o Heh)

Bear in mind atm this mentoring system is new to all of us. Some of us veteren players may have newbies floating around to test the waters a bit.

Mentor gossip/word of mouth - pass word along in your starting school. Or keep an eye on the who list for others 'New to Pyrathia,' or for other characters you may consider to be as new to their character as yours is (consider command, or perhaps lack of an adjective or description). Or if someone asks you for help and as a newbie you don't know, 'Ask <mentor>.. they helped me a lot!'

If you are truely awed by the attention you have received, in the quality and helpfulness of a mentor and you feel it exceptional to the point of noteworthines, pass a log/PM/email to an immortal, but do realize they likely don't have time to read countless logs of what they are hoping just develops naturally. ;)

Riley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:02 am 
Mortal

You could also mention the character on the forums to pass along an out-of-character thanks for the help they provided you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:20 am 
Mortal

As mentioned above, references to other potential students are a great idea. I suspect good mentors enjoy the process, and students could certainly use more IC contacts, even if they already have enough mentors.

Mentors do gain some benefits from teaching skills - not a lot, but some. Coming to your mentor to learn some Initiate or Apprentice skills, when feasible, helps make sure your mentor gets the in-game rewards for helping out.

But the easiest way to return the favor is to continue your IC friendship with your mentor. Of course, the relationship changes as you become more of a peer. But exchanging roleplay is fun for both parties, and a good group of IC friends makes any character more OOCly enjoyable.