Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:11 pm 
Mortal

One of those rooms, I guarantee you a straight noob won't be able to get into. I don't think a noob would understand the mechanics enough, and would just walk away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:26 pm 
Mortal

My newbie experience wasnt nearly that bad. I only started playing about a year and a half ago. within my first five minutes, I had two players sfrom the midnight council, although I had no idea who they were at the time, that gave me gear. and some gold to train, I even had some rp interaction. not to mention informing me somewhat on the realms, and some good newb advice. This was all before the mentor system was installed as well. with mentors what not, it cant be that bad for a newb starting out. it was only after i had gained a status or two, when i really started exploring, that i had my [REDACTED] handed to me all over the place, but by then i had a grasp of the way things worked around here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:34 pm 
Mortal

Dont forget you wern't a "true newb". You had previous mud experience before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:14 pm 
Mortal

eobyn wrote:
My newbie experience wasnt nearly that bad. I only started playing about a year and a half ago. within my first five minutes, I had two players sfrom the midnight council, although I had no idea who they were at the time, that gave me gear. and some gold to train, I even had some rp interaction.

Which one were you. ;)

With Fepel the moment I heard someone from Kytar I would at times drop everything to go talk to them. I cannot even begin to count the amount of obsidian I handed over to recruits let alone the equipment...

Mentor rawks your face off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:57 pm 
Mortal

He was before your time Fepel. No need to take any credit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:10 am 
Mortal Contributor

SK Character: Elriorith/Enfaustina/Nimolthar
I have been trying to help new characters (not neccessarily newbies) with all of my chars.

My MC Hellion would frequently drop in Kytar, giving away equipment i gathered from the battlefields of Seawatch, along with waterskins and obsidian coins.

My Pallie would frequently drop by Mayara (back when talsa train school was east of the temple) and drop loads of low lvl items, armor and weapons, as well as give away coin and healing.

My Uxmal Barb would often go to the Arena with loads of blacksilver low equipment and alot of gold, and dispense them to those trainees there...

If we all did our little bit, we would make the lives of the new players and the newbies alot easier, training wise and all.

My 2.4 cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:40 am 
Mortal

It took me forever before I found out about the bins. When I first started I just kept finding new equipment littering the streets and shops everywhere. I took what I could use and sold the rest. It is much better to keep the streets clean and drop anything you can't use anymore in any of the centrally located town bins. Newbies can either use the equipment themselves and/or sell the worn out pieces for some quick cash to cover other expenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:20 pm 
Mortal

Keep in mind, not every city has a bin. I know Krychire doesn't. Or if there is one, it is not in the same location as the rest of them.

As far as helping newbies, I make "rounds" of the newbie school every couple of hours when I'm on, incase I missed a creation tell. I also try to put some eq there, or enchant what I find laying about a little. And since Krychire's school is the most lacking of all, I tend to leave water and food for the poor kids there. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that when we get our new city (soon, hopefully) the school with be at least a 50% better if not completely on par with all the rest of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:01 pm 
Mortal

I'm sorry. I didn't know. :cry:

When I first saw food laying about, I thought I'd be arrested for stealing. I didn't touch a thing until another PC started grabbing up everything in sight. When nothing happened to them, I figured I was safe. :)

Then I had an immortal looking at me strangely. :oops:

But that is a whole 'nother story. 8)

How young I was back then. *sigh*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:24 am 
Mortal

Xain wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if one can learn up to at least expert all the skills and spells from trainers in their own kingdom. It's a question I haven't been able to answer yet.

To answer this, I'll let you all know that I recently created a priest that I'm having a lot more fun with than with Baraka. Started in Nerina, which I kinda wish I'd know was SO damned good-aligned ahead of time...anyhow, I searched the town thoroughly and couldn't even find the majority of the novice level spells. Still haven't found 'create water' but I'm guessing I just have to look in the right city. :roll:

As far as my experience as a newbie goes, I'd say the game varies wildly depending on your race, alignment, and class in general. I didn't know when I created a dark aura priest that Nerina was a bad place to start, but I'm coping, and I've met a good deal of people who have decided not to kill me on sight...how many classes GET detect alignment???

Anyway, I've only died once in my entire time on SK so far (thanks Yumiro :wink: ) , and I have two initiate plus level characters. Granted, at this level I'm guessing that what I'm fighting more often than not is set so that it can't kill me unless I'm EXTREMELY unlucky. And fyi - I could take those friendly spiders at low novice with my priest, so they really aren't that bad, if a bit nerve wracking on first encounter.