Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Character Creation
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:45 am 
Mortal

I thought of this before and was reminded last night when I met a new player. I was wondering if there could be a better signal in Creation Hall to let you know that now was the time to setup your adjective and description before you blindly walk out into the country of your choice? I was on my third or fourth character before I finally figured it out.

Maybe something like--

You have been blessed by the Gods. Take a LOOK at your new body.

That should be enough to get the point across without causing any problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:19 am 
Mortal

It would be "glance", but not a bad idea. Generally though, veterans remind n00bs to choose adjectives, and immortals are pretty good about jumping in when they don't have adjectives or descs.

sleeper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:22 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Sorel
It might be a good idea as soon as you novice to display, once, "You must set your adjective now if you have not already. Help adjective for more information." and a similar message about description at initiate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:41 am 
Mortal

I belive it's refrenced in all those newbie help files on the motd. As well as all over the website, though it is discouraging to see someone who cons as stronger than my low mentor have no description. At least they had an adj tho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:52 am 
Mortal

The thing is, if you know what to do, and everybody around you is telling you what to do at the same time, it can be kind of nerve-racking for a Newbie, especially with some of the editors we have to work with. Having a nice, quiet place to work on it without everyone looking at you strangely is much better IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:41 pm 
When I wrote my first ever description on a mud, I thought it'd take the phrases I gave it and make a description for me. So I walked around for the first few weeks with

Code:
blue eyes
big muscles
big weapon
fearsome looking
quit

Or something. I'd suggest a simple edit of the adjective help, replacing the vague 'as soon as possible' with 'before initiate'. I do not, however, think that it's a good idea to give a newbie 'a quiet place' to do their adjective. Far too often I've been yanked away to some imm's cubby hole where they could have their wicked way with me - that is, force me to get a description or adjective. It really cramps the creative process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:22 pm 
Mortal Contributor

SK Character: Elriorith/Enfaustina/Nimolthar
Since my first character who had an adj and a desc from lvl 3 (yeah i played muds before SK), i always put desc and adj right after creation.

A better explanation of the adj and the desc would be nice, a forcefull display of the helpfiles upon reaching the level perhaps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:26 pm 
Mortal

Best way is to create your desc and adj before you even create your character. It gives you enough time to think about him or her and exactly who she is. What makes him or her different from everyone else and what makes him or her unique.

Nothing worse then just creating and getting into some rp where your character makes unreasonable claims. That might end up not being what your character is like, but you have thought it out prior and was overwhelmed by meeting perhaps a grand master paladin or deep-elven necromancer.

And your desc and adjs tend to turn out better when you are forced to take a break from plvling and quickly drop one in because an imm is on your case. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:30 pm 
Mortal

'A quiet place' doesn't equate to being 'yanked away to some imm's cubby hole'. I was suggesting letting the Newbie know when they were in the Creation Hall that they now had the ability to apply their adjective and/or description in a totally IC manner. (Please read entire Post.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:04 am 
Having reread your second post, Baldwama, I still find no suggestion that this 'quiet place' should be in the newbie hall. As I am not in the practice of rereading entire threads every time I look at the latest post, I missed the reference to your earlier suggestion.

I'm of the opinion that the entire hall of creation should be totally reworked to make it more newbie-friendly (those questions are really, really awful when you take into account the gravity your stats have). I'd also redo newbie schools. That maze Alshain made of Taslamar's newbie school is a joke.