Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Building in Unclaimed Territory
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:08 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Airkli
Say a religion or individual has a building idea. A new area, shrine, whatever. Typically if there is an ideal location and the answer is to "speak with the KD". What about unclaimed territory? Like the chancel swamps or various other areas? Is building off limits for those spots? Is it easier to try and push an idea there, rather than within a kingdom?

Post subject: Re: Building in Unclaimed Territory
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:23 am 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
A shrine should be coordinated through the patron god, if applicable.

It's not easier to get something done in a specific place, and things should be planned in accordance to where they make sense and not where you expect to get the quickest turnaround. That's not fair to the game or to the gods involved. All mortal-inspired items/rooms/etc. are subject to the availability of builders in addition to your level of input.

And typically, just for the record, players do not create entire new areas.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:26 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Airkli
Not saying I have intentions. Just wanted to know how Unclaimed Territory was managed by the builders/immstaff.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:32 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Adalwulf, Whinston, Eberhardt
I was actually kind of curious about how that worked, too? What if a player wanted something like an island in "international waters"? What if a player has a really, really good idea for a new area? My understanding is that new areas must be approved by Dulrik before they can be built, but something like an entire area; would a PC actually be subject to the usual vnum "purchases"?
And, yes, I know that ultimately actual RP reasons should dictate everything done in game, though I can think of many reasons why someone might want to build in remote locations...

Don

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:39 pm 
Immortal

Looks like to the south and west was Mira's, which makes it mine as I took her areas over. To the north and east would be Sadal.

I wasn't suggesting that there weren't reasons to want something outside of the main continent or even the kingdoms. I was simply clarifying that anything that could be "pushed" had an equal shot in any location.

ICly, a character (or group of characters) can usually expect to make smaller additions to the landscape of Pyrathia. S/he is not going to accomplish a whole new 100+ vnum area without immense, prolonged, superlative roleplay. Think less likely than changing alignment and much harder than dropping oathbreaker. OOCly, you might have some ideas, and they might be brilliant. You can pitch them to the staff, and they may be incorporated in part or in total; however, in either case, you are incredibly unlikely to dictate down to the last detail.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:55 am 
Mortal

Hrm. Smoochy remembers the Oasis that was built about seven months ago. Guessing that was a new area? We had a nice big party there for it's orientation. Not much RP was exchanged during the celebration, though.

Are we talking about new areas, or just shrines for deities? There are plenty of areas around that even our veteran players know little about...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:32 am 
Immortal

An "area" in IMM talk is, as I mentioned, a space occupying between 50-100 rooms/vnums.

A single room or multi-room mini-area (house, shrine, seaport, etc) is different entirely, and is absolutely within the scope of easy possibility with an exchange of obsidian coins. Ya'll should see my bank account.