VOTE NOW!
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Warlock tips?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:36 am 
Mortal Philanthropist

SK Character: Imolth
patrisaurus wrote:
You may as well buy a flying pet for ease of travel & for an extra smallish meat shield. Buying a non flying pet isn't really worth it. I believe that by expert you have stoneskin. Your fastest leveling from here out, then, is:

c summon elemental
c stoneskin
c fly self
c earthquake;c earthquake; repeat until NPCs die.

Earthquake is amazing for leveling. Just be careful that you don't pull more than you can handle until you really learn to manage it and don't be discouraged if you die a few times figuring it out.

Have fun.

That is terrible advice. Earthquacke does no damage and it's good for nothing other than luring all conjoined rooms' NPCs into you. Combine that with the Infinite thrown daggers from the NPCs that appear and you have a very dead warlock. Earthquacke does sound awesome but it really isn't. It provides with no tactical advantage and causes more problems than it solves.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:42 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
I leveled my warlock with earthquake in a couple places, and zoomed through a few levels on account of it. It's just very dangerous and particular.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:52 am 
Mortal

How about using fireball with RE up once you draw NPC with earthquake? Does that damage them fast enough to kill them before you die?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:55 am 
Mortal

It might, but I was leveling a centaur warlock and it hurt too bad :(. Given that you end up taking so much damage from both daggers and fireball, IMO fireballing your own room is not a great idea. If anything, I would have fireballed to lure NPCs in, then switched to equake after they were in my room.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:36 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Ivstnesr, Drakey
I use fireball/earthquake in coin farming. As far as leveling it is far to dangerous IMO. Unless you have a healer, but then you can not fireball. Lower levels stone skin does not last long enough, chances are you armor is not good enough to take 12321341023948 throwing axes, and on top of all of that, sometimes a random NPC you did not expect will show up, reaching with a fast weapon. There are a few places it is a valid leveling technique, however lightning bolt, shocking grasp, cone of cold and magma are very fast. You can GM a warlock in no time, they are a damage based caster after all.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:34 pm 

I tried the earthquake tip in the blasted chancel..The first one was on the dwarf acolytes..It didn't last very long. That vomiting spell tore my elemental up. After that I tried it on the lean half-elves and was fine til the area respawned and i got about 3 more NPCs that i bargained for. Then my elemental just disappeared in the middle of a fight...

I never saw any flicker message probably because i was asleep so much...Earthquake seems really useless. It takes a full magic pool just to kill 1 NPC with it

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:55 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Theodoric
Morovik wrote:
That is terrible advice. Earthquacke does no damage and it's good for nothing other than luring all conjoined rooms' NPCs into you. Combine that with the Infinite thrown daggers from the NPCs that appear and you have a very dead warlock. Earthquacke does sound awesome but it really isn't. It provides with no tactical advantage and causes more problems than it solves.

If you say so. It worked for me, to the tune of GM in 40 hours without any help as a gnome with max con. As I warned, it can be particular and you must be careful with your pulls and stoneskin.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:17 am 
Mortal

MerekTheMighty wrote:
I tried the earthquake tip in the blasted chancel..The first one was on the dwarf acolytes..It didn't last very long. That vomiting spell tore my elemental up. After that I tried it on the lean half-elves and was fine til the area respawned and i got about 3 more NPCs that i bargained for. Then my elemental just disappeared in the middle of a fight...

I never saw any flicker message probably because i was asleep so much...Earthquake seems really useless. It takes a full magic pool just to kill 1 NPC with it

Then why not kill 30 NPCs at once with it? Seriously the damage affects everything it can hit, and that is what makes it a valuable leveling tool. Yes, it does not do much damage, but with a little preparation it is easily the best spell for leveling a warlock gets until mentor. The last experience I had with a warlock was helping an elf warlock level on my paladin, and she easily got 2 levels a mana pool by spamming earthquake while I took damage. It might have been more.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:25 pm 
Mortal

ninja_ardith wrote:
The last experience I had with a warlock was helping an elf warlock level on my paladin, and she easily got 2 levels a mana pool by spamming earthquake while I took damage. It might have been more.

But not everyone has the privilege of OOC hookups.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:08 am 
Mortal

Leveling with earthquake is very difficult and only applies in specific situations. If you're willing to take the risk, or know/learn how to mitigate the risk in those situations, it's -awesome.- If not, lightning bolt is still your friend and always will be.