Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Two quick questions
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:55 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Karsh
Disagree. HP trains don't do a lot, unless you stack a lot of them. Even then, it's arguably better to get both the innate fort + hp of con trains vs the flat-rate hp bump of an hp train.

EDIT: Not to mention, depending on class the HP train is essentially a waste of a limited resource at end-game. A bard, a scout, a priest, a sorc, and a few other classes would gain a much larger long-term benefit from the con train than the hp train.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:10 pm 
Mortal

Oh? My mistake: I had assumed the hp train would give more hp than a con-bonus would for low hit die classes such as those. But I think you have a point: low fortitude is a bad weakness to leave on the same hypothetical character.

While in newbie help though, we should probably highlight the many ways in which attribute trains are in fact somewhat renewable, I think. That'd be a good thing to showcase to the younglings, while I do think it shouldn't be taken as a counterpoint to your observation.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:22 pm 
Mortal

ObjectivistActivist wrote:
Disagree. HP trains don't do a lot, unless you stack a lot of them. Even then, it's arguably better to get both the innate fort + hp of con trains vs the flat-rate hp bump of an hp train.

EDIT: Not to mention, depending on class the HP train is essentially a waste of a limited resource at end-game. A bard, a scout, a priest, a sorc, and a few other classes would gain a much larger long-term benefit from the con train than the hp train.

Negative.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:53 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Karsh
jreid_1985 wrote:
ObjectivistActivist wrote:

Negative.

Man, I'm so glad you know what you're talking about so you can give such great advice to new players. Oh, wait.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:10 pm 
Mortal

To be fair, none of us really know how many hitpoints you gain from any source, nor how many you have. Taking anyone's advice too seriously is something any newbie should be careful about.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:00 pm 
Mortal

Mmm im not sure how much fort you think you are getting from max con. Your sprite could never resist petrification on the 1st cast.

Its better to max hp and mod con and fort. Hp trains > Con trains for amount of extra health added to life pool.

You are here to give newbies good advice. Not spread misinformation with your bad attitude.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:46 pm 
Mortal

Dulrik wrote:
News gets updated with every major code update. There haven't been any major updates lately - just bug fixes and tweaks to various systems.

Regarding constitution: other MUDs penalize you for not training con at low levels. SK has its own system that gives you the same amount regardless of when you train it. Also, I think I've been misquoted about what my statement was regarding con. I believe what I said was that if all you want is HP, then a HP train is a better deal. However, training con gives you other benefits besides HP.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14163

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:40 am 
Implementor

Vera wrote:
Now a question. :drunk: I thought at the starting level I wouldn't lose experience if I died. Once I went to -10hp but saw myself as stunned. Then I died in one blow and was automatically resurrected by the piety of the Gods. When I looked at Spells and Skills after the first -10, my Innate spells and skills had gone down to Superb. After being resurrected, I saw them again as Mastered. Later, I didn't die again and saw them as Superb.

Do you understand what all this is about?

I didn't see anyone attempt to answer this. It's hard to be certain, but it sounds like your character is wearing armor for which they are not trained. If you wear heavy armor as a mage, your skills will be penalized. It's either this, or you were under a mind altering affect such as berserk (which also negatively affects your skill levels). During the time you were dead, you would have not been affected by either of these things.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:21 am 
Mortal

Thank you for replying, Dulrik :) but I have not understood the reply. I will try to explain better some of the things that happened that I find too strange or still don't understand.

First, a new player will not know anything about kinds of armor, so if that affects so much in the starting training areas, new players will be very much affected. I already knew about armor, but at first I was wearing anything I found there, until I could select what looked better for me.

So, yes, it was a Mage in the Grotto. Where we see an Opening, a girl there looked "touch challenge" and the Mage killed her though it was not easy. After recovering health and mana (maybe I lost the protective spells from the healer), she attacked the other girl in the next room, who was also "tough challenge" and in one blow the girl killed the Mage from complete health to 0. As I said, many are easy, especially after a bit, but this one was really surprising.

The other strange thing (and which I don't understand) is when I don't see myself as dead but as Stunned, with -10hp or so. The first time (in the Grotto) I even managed to lose my innate Spells and Skills, and they became Superb (this changed after I died several times and was resurrected automatically and it is fixed now at Mastered).

Another that stuns the Mage at -hp is an archer (Sherwood forest or around). This got into a vicious cycle where the archer sends an arrow, the Mage can't move, and this continues on and on for a very long time. The archer finally stopped but it was astonishing for a while... :roll: :D

What is that -hp thing?

I am keeping this character at Amateur to be automatically resurrected, which makes things easier for me, trying to learn to walk from city to city at least. :D

I am enjoying many things in the game: the pets, the mechanics, spells...the people are very nice, but I think it is too harsh, at least for new players.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:15 am 
Implementor

NPCs that stun in the newbie areas should probably be considered a bug. If they are continuously keeping you stunned, it's definitely a bug. As for negative hit points, here is the rule on hit points: If you have positive number, you are conscious. Going to 0 hp knocks you unconscious. Going to -10 hp makes you dead.

This is something that could use some modification. Only the low damage newbie monsters actually do low enough amounts of damage to send you into unconsciousness without also dying. It's a mechanic that you rarely actually see happening in the latter parts of the game. You should probably need to drop to -10% hp instead of -10 hp instead, which would make it more relevant as damage and your hit point pool increase.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next