Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Newbie asks, "Can this be done?"
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:28 am 

Greetings all

I have not officially started my SK journey yet, and I need to know if something can be done.

I have developed a character. I have a fairly detailed family history. I know what he looks like, and how he thinks. All in all, I am fairly confident that I can drop this gentleman into your world and he will be able to quickly integrate into society. The problem lies in my vision for his future. I see him pretending to be a cleric, but actually operating as a thief. Is there a way, in the game mechanics, to give him the outward appearance of a cleric, but the skills of his less wholesome vocation?

Any comments or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Newbie asks, "Can this be done?"
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:33 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Karsh
The priest and thief classes come with distinct skills and abilities that are hard-coded. You could play a rogue class that is invested in a religion and acts with a certain clerical demeanor, but there's no guarantee that that will be accepted by a) the rest of the church, or b) the rest of the game world. You'll also not be able to cast the spells of a priest classed character.

So, the short answer is yes and no. Yes you can pretend to be a cleric, but no there's no way to pull off the "disguise" within the limitations of the code.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:58 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
Pretty much what OA said. The difference in skillset between the classes of rogue and priest are rather large: However, you could most certainly have a "priestly" appearance as far as armor goes while still being a rogue. The biggest problem will be that no one is going to buy your disguise because you won't be able to cast a single spell.

Also, you kind of gave it away :P.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:50 pm 

Thanks for the replies. I was expecting to encounter the lack of spells issue, and can roleplay around that problem. Just because you are a cleric doesn't mean you can't be a total a-hole. As for giving it away, that is a risk if: a) you are watching for me, and b) the combination is really thief as a cleric.

Of course, the other question I should have asked is, "The guy isn't working out. Can I dump him and try again?"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:50 pm 
Mortal

You can always Delete and start a new character, just don't use the same name/race/class/story

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:57 pm 
Mortal

You can use the same story if you haven't really told it to anyone. Hell even if you have chances are it won't be very obvious.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:03 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Airkli
Quote:
emote starts to concentrate.

emote utters the words 'judicandus dies'

What are you all talking about? This concept is incredibly possible, it just requires a bit more experience with the game I feel. These emotes can give any other PC the impression that someone is a cleric.

There are also specialty shops for certain classes, buying the garb from such 'Cleric' shops instead of the more specific 'thieves' or 'adventurer's' shops can give the illusion that one has chosen to be a cleric.

I like it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:51 pm 
Mortal

Maybe I took this question differently, but you can be a Cleric in the actual definition of the word, while being a thief class. There are plenty examples of pious people who weren't your typical priest that more or less did the same things a priest did as far as religion goes. You just won't be able to pretend as effectively to -actually- be a Priest class.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:03 am 

I have erred toward caution, and abandoned this plan for now. I will play out a different character and get a better feel for the game before trying to run this deception. It is nice to know that it is possible, and I may return to this idea some day.

Thanks to all for your replies!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:15 am 
Mortal

You should just roll a priest that steals stuff. The rogue class is trash in this game.