Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Art for sorcerors.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:20 am 

Just a quick newb question. Is it worth it taking art all the way with a sorc? or are those points better spent in mana, dex, con etc? I read some older posts saying that art wasn't all that important. I've been away from the game for quite a while so I was unsure if things have changed since those older posts were written. Thanks guys.

Post subject: Re: Art for sorcerors.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:52 am 
Mortal

Anyone who answers this is just going to be taking a guess, because I don't think there are any players who have a complete picture of how the save or enchantment system works. I believe you get diminishing returns as you put more in past a certain point. Depending on your character concept, race, and other factors, very high art may not be worth it for you.

Basically, I have no idea!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:21 am 
Mortal

It's worth taking art all the way as a sorc, if only for enchanting. The more art you have the more effective you will be at enchanting. Not sure exactly what the benefits are towards enchanting but Dulrik has stated art aids somehow in enchanting. Sorcs can max art and still train mana 9 times if they don't mind enchanting for one of their main stats. Not only is art a benefit to enchanting but it will greatly aid you if you decide to ever use your spells against someone who may have enchantments on their gear.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:59 am 
Mortal

The more art you have, the less likely you are to fade, or destroy, an item when it has reached its natural limit when enchanting.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:59 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Amorette
I would take art all the way, especially with the new enchant system.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:42 pm 
Mortal

cotiak11 wrote:
Just a quick newb question. Is it worth it taking art all the way with a sorc? or are those points better spent in mana, dex, con etc? I read some older posts saying that art wasn't all that important. I've been away from the game for quite a while so I was unsure if things have changed since those older posts were written. Thanks guys.

This is a complicated question, since it is also affected by other recent changes to sorcerer like giant strength and haste not causing fatigue when it is self-cast and only innate enhancements on gear stacking with giant strength and haste.

Train 9 art, since you will use wands, scrolls and staves quite a bit in PK and the art cap is 3 for staves, 6 for scrolls and 9 for wands. Training 14 art will help you enchant and make it more likely your spell casts are not resisted.

However, you will rarely cast in PK. You will primarily order pets, recite scrolls, brandish staves and zap wands. You could train 14 art and rely on enchanting to fill in the gap on stats, but since only innate enchants stack with giant strength/haste you will need to rely on loot with innate +strength and +dexterity if you want to take full advantage of giant strength/haste not fatiguing your character.

TLDR: Train 9 art if you don't know where or don't want to be bothered getting loot with the best innate +stat enchants. Otherwise, train 14 art.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:59 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
If I was a sorc in group PK I would spend my time casting dispel, casting petrification, or reciting double petrification. Because of this and the enchant changes, I'd max art.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:08 pm 
Mortal

Edoras wrote:
If I was a sorc in group PK I would spend my time casting dispel, casting petrification, or reciting double petrification. Because of this and the enchant changes, I'd max art.

Or zapping yourself with wands. Zing!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:38 pm 

Damn, I wish more was known about it. I believe I will max art just because I do plan on participating in pk. I was just unsure because my base CON is rather low, unhealthy, and so is my dex. I wasn't sure if it would benefit me more pk related to max art, or to max con and get dex close enough where I can max it with mods. I maxed INT and WIS before reading a post saying that it would be better to just max them with mods. I wish I wasn't such a newb. Thanks for all the replies guys.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:12 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
It's up to you. The game will be -easier- if you spend more trains in mana and stats than you do in art, as you'll be less EQ dependant and your mana regen will mean you can have a lot more utility. Your character will reach his utmost potential in PK if you train more art, although then you'll have to rely more on enchanted and storebought/gathered mods, and your mana regen won't be quite as good as if you maxed mana (Training mana increases regen while wearing mana regen mods doesn't).

Personally though I'd recommend at least 9 art, and if you want the best potential possible, 14.