Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Terms of Use
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:36 pm 

While I understand why muds and other software has terms of use, this is not the first time I've run into this particular phrase:

k. intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law;

Respectfully, isnt this both staggeringly broad, and self-incriminating?

Example A - I am not aware of international law.

Example B - I have yet to see a game or forum without at least a passing reference to a sexual practice that is illegal somewhere (especially in the deep south of the Us, or various places in the middle east), or drug references. Most laws require a citizen to report wrongdoing or be legally liable. Ergo...

I know nothing is likely to be changed, but I thought to at least try to have a discussion about this.

-some guy who tried your game

Post subject: Re: Terms of Use
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:28 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
If your character in this game asks another character where they are in the game, and then goes to them and murders them in the game, that's okay.

If you use this game to ask someone for their real-life address so that you can come to their house and murder them in real-life, that is illegal.

So let me say this with complete honesty: If you're using SK to murder people, stop it. Stop. That's wrong.

Or perhaps Penny Arcade can sum it up better for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:34 pm 
Implementor

You may see certain legal language a lot because giant internet companies have money to hire lawyers to build defensible Terms of Service and then smaller companies with no lawyers copy their Terms of Service wherever applicable.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:21 pm 
Mortal

Interesting topic. I've never read the ToS personally, but I've never had a reason to because I just play the game the way it's intended to be played. If you're concerned at all with local, state, international etc etc laws you can educate yourself on them since they're all public knowledge.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:23 pm 

A final comment, out of sheer stubborness.

My point was made by doing a few fast searches on these forums. I quickly found:

"Is this RP going to be class exclusive like the last one? Can we request a certain theme for future RP's to you?

To fepel and the pawn...

Wow for your educations making you monies! Yay! My ex-roomate made 5 g's a week 'facilitating partying'. You know what else? Thats all stuff that can't be touched by the IRS. Infact he could get money from the government given he has a disability.

It make me smile that a 19 year old high school drop out makes hundreds of thousands of dollers more than you two lawyers do combined.

If you try to say it won't pay off in the end then your wrong. Lawyers won't be paid off in the end unless their smart, that goes the same for everyone. I know a 42 year old dealer that was banking during the hayday of the 80's coke phenomona.

He now gets dividend checks exceeding both your yearly wages, quarterly.

The American Dream has been supressed, by industry and corporation for the most part. Anyway, screw your laws in the anal cavity. Entraprenuership owns your shoddy book learning in the face hard. The world needs lawyers just about as bad as it needs politicians.

George Washington was a pot farmer. He turned down the offer for soverignty and a crown. Can you say that about anyone else today?

On an unrelated note: Go read 'Snow Crash' by Neal Stephenson

<^> 8) <^>
"

I am deleting my forum account. The armchair internet lawyers among you can debate whether the ToS requires you to report this guy to the police, to avoid being criminally liable.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:39 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Aurenna, Ceinwyn, Ceridwen
...interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:51 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Rolf
Wow. I think someone found a new kind of crazy.

But, on a related topic, has anyone ever read the terms of service of anything? I'm pretty sure I never have.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:54 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Aurenna, Ceinwyn, Ceridwen
I have never read Terms for anything. Ever.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:34 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Amorette
what is going on in this thread

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:37 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Amorette
stuntbob wrote:
I am deleting my forum account. The armchair internet lawyers among you can debate whether the ToS requires you to report this guy to the police, to avoid being criminally liable.

I did the forum search. The guy who posted that comment, One Valiant Truth, is now dead and is no longer eligible to be prosecuted for any crimes. But I'm sure we all want our IMMs to go through the forums and scrutinize every single post from the past ten years, instead of actively helping the game or anything.

:roll:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next