Post subject: Re: Joining a Cabal/Tribunal
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:17 am 
Mortal

Buuuuuurn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:18 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Karsh
Help! I need an adult! Someone is flaming me in newbie help!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:18 am 
Mortal

Quit trashin up my thread, jerks! :rant:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:41 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Airkli
Tojishiro wrote:
Generally, in the "olde days of yore" (around 2000 - 2002) and before the ambiguous Cabal Raid System was implemented, there were only cabals. No tribunals.

Also, membership in most cabals was a very very well guarded secret and people used to play longer lived characters so this sort of information didn't quite leak so often as it does now. It felt truly a privilege to join one of these "prestigious" organizations and it was a major milestone for every character. Also, walking up to any of the members of a Cabal and saying "hello, I want to join" - however politely - was considered to be "bad form" from the majority. In a way, the theme ran like "In Pyrathia, you do not choose a Cabal. A Cabal chooses you".

Because the above led to quite a few incidents of people being asked to wait for impossible amounts of RL time before a decision on their worth was made, the "Two Weeks Induction Policy" was created. Under this policy, Faction leaders are expected to have replied to every supplicant to their faction within two weeks from when they made their desire to join known.

It has always been one of the most strictly enforced rules because Factions, along with Religions, are major deciding factors for a character.

Now, there are still some people of the "Old School" that might consider it bad form to walk up to them and ask them outright, but regardless of what every person thinks, a player's best bet to have an answer is to somehow make it very clear they wish to join. Very clear. If you can pull it off without being blunt, kudos for your roleplay skills. If not, resort to bluntness.

Not any real reasons to post this as to offer some more history and weight on the above posts.

Really good post. I miss these days.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:02 pm 
Mortal

I'm still learning about SK politics and such. How am I going to be able to identify members of a cabal to be able to talk to them? It doesn't seem like titles really mention anything specifically. Just go to inns and ask strangers, "Hey, are you in a cabal? Whazzit like?"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:13 pm 
TMS Cheerleader

SK Character: Addison
Pay attention to titles. Romanesque style titling is empire based. Hammer has well..hammer based titles and references to their castle Morea. Fists-fists. The harlies crucible a druids seem to take a more secretive approach.

Tl;Dr ask in game

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:37 pm 
Mortal

Okay... but my question was on how to know who to ask. If there are cabals that are secretive, say Druids as you mentioned, it's unlikely I'm going to get far by walking around asking strangers, "Hey, are you a druid?"

I think "ask in game" might work for those who already know the game atmosphere and what to look for, perhaps.

EDIT: I'm also used to playing a MUD where every character likely wants you dead, so I'm not sure if SK would have the same implications if I started showing interesting in a cabal that is the enemy of some other cabal. So using the above example, I would expect that if I starting asking a druid-enemy about the druids, they would kill me before I got too far.

Last edited by cheesekk on Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:41 pm 
TMS Cheerleader

SK Character: Addison
What I meant was ask others in the game. Hey do you know anyone that might be a druid. Pray to the gods