Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Interacting with things in room descriptions
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:02 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Prindle
First off, I'm wondering if there are any rooms that have things like hidden buttons, etc.

Secondly, and more importantly, if so what is the syntax to interact with these type of things?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Interacting with things in room descriptions
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:05 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Karsh
Most times the coloration of the room itself will point to extended descriptions. In those cases, a "Look <object>" will bring up a description of the "hidden" object.

Sometimes it's less obvious, and in most cases those are quest objects/clues or whatever, and so their interaction will be dictated by the quest or a NPC of some kind, and sharing that information on this forum would tempt a forum ban.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:13 pm 
Mortal

There is no strict 'command' then to use these things? (that's what I'm looking for)

You could give an example of syntax without indicating where it's used (if there is such a command)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:16 pm 
Mortal

Okay, so, you're reading a room description and you see the word "niches" is colored differently than most of the text around it. You could try to type "look niche" and if there's an extended description built into the room, then you'll get a closer examination of the "niches."

And no, there's no command that's going to just straight display all of the ED keywords in a room.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:36 pm 
Mortal

Examine is a better command. It's 'look' and 'look in' combined into one!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:40 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
The "look" command will always allow you to view special objects in the room, although full interaction with these objects will vary depending on the object: Typically the object itself should give you a hint.

For example, you may see a statue in a room that, when you look at it, indicates that "it looks like this statue is loose and could be budged" and in that room you may able to be able to "push statue" or "budge statue" even though the push and budge commands are invalid commands in almost every other room of SK. More advanced scripts can be tied to common actions or to says as well.

And yes, as Lykofos said, it's a very good idea to use the "examine" command as much as possible. It's also nice that in SK you can shorten the keyword of something and you'll still see the first object that alphabetically fits that keyword: So you can "exa nich" and you'll still examine the niches in the room. However, it's also worthy of noting that sometimes you are unable to view an item in the room because it's keywords match something you are wearing or carrying: I know that I can't stand wearing the "glyph"ed armor from the starting area in Taslamar because it prevents me from examining any items in the room that have the keywords of "glyph" or "rune," or my personal favorite of how if my character is wearing a signet ring he is suddenly incapable of looking at signs.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:07 am 
Mortal

Thanks everyone for the response, I think there's a room where I've been trying to puzzle out the word to use, that's why I was wondering if there was a universal syntax.

Anyway I shant continue this dialogue further as it's getting into dicey grounds in terms of rules. But as an overview thank you for the help!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:13 am 
Mortal

Edoras wrote:
And yes, as Lykofos said, it's a very good idea to use the "examine" command as much as possible.

Examine is a superior command to look, so you might as well just replace look completely:

#ALIAS l {#if (%1=%null) {look} {#if (%1="in") {examine %2} {#if (%1="ne") {look northeast} {#if (%1="e") {look east} {#if (%1="se") {look southeast} {#if (%1="s") {look south} {#if (%1="sw") {look southwest} {#if (%1="w") {look west} {#if (%1="nw") {look northwest} {#if (%1="n") {look north} {#if (%1="d") {look down} {#if (%1="u") {look up} {examine %1}}}}}}}}}}}}}

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:14 am 
Mortal

FinneyOwnzU wrote:
Edoras wrote:
And yes, as Lykofos said, it's a very good idea to use the "examine" command as much as possible.

Examine is a superior command to look, so you might as well just replace look completely:

#ALIAS l {#if (%1=%null) {look} {#if (%1="in") {examine %2} {#if (%1="ne") {look northeast} {#if (%1="e") {look east} {#if (%1="se") {look southeast} {#if (%1="s") {look south} {#if (%1="sw") {look southwest} {#if (%1="w") {look west} {#if (%1="nw") {look northwest} {#if (%1="n") {look north} {#if (%1="d") {look down} {#if (%1="u") {look up} {examine %1}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Does that function for MUSHclient as well, or is that straight Zmud?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:15 am 
Mortal

ObjectivistActivist wrote:
FinneyOwnzU wrote:
Edoras wrote:

Does that function for MUSHclient as well, or is that straight Zmud?

It is for zMUD. I will tinker around in MUSHclient today and see if I can get a version for that, too.