Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Responding to Tells
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:53 am 
Mortal

SK Character: RAWR!
Sure. It'd be nice to give your voice a quality, but I don't agree that it should be able to be replied to.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:55 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Karsh
I don't think so either, but it DOES make sense that you'd recognize the voice of "someone" you are frequently speaking with when you CAN see them. So if you've got dirt in your eyes or whatever and one of your friends shoots you a tell, you'd probably recognize the "lilting" quality of her voice so that you could direct a tell to her when you could see.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:40 am 
Mortal

When someone tells you, you feel their presence in your mind. When you reply to them, you use that feeling of their presence from earlier to send a message back to that being. (<--- possible interpretation of reply) You could just remember that link to each individual presence to reply to them at a later time. You could even scale the number of people you remember by your INT.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:17 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: RAWR!
Do not like for a number of reasons, not the least of which being a certain cabal spell.

I'm not going to spend much more effort explaining why this suggestion is less than desirable, though. Suffice to say, if there's nothing to anchor a voice to (a visible PC), a voice shouldn't be an anchor in itself.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:43 pm 

I don't know about any cabal thing, just the way the conversation went and what happened after made me think it was player orchestrated rather than admin initiated (which I may very well be wrong about, noob here). Anyway thanks for the quick responses, guys, I'll toss up an ooc prayer next time (if there is a next time.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:09 pm 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
Just an interesting tidbit about the prayer option.

If an Immortal is controlling a NPC from inside of it, he or she cannot hear prayers. On the opposite side of the coin, if an Immortal is forcing an NPC to send tells, he or she can't hear the replies to the NPC. So, while prayer often works in these situations, it might not always unless there are multiple immortals logged in that know what's going on. For instance, if Alshain is inside Percer, I won't be able to see him (Alshain) on the who list. If I don't know that Percer is supposed to be talking to CharacterQ, I won't know what to do with the prayer. This is a burden of communication on the staff, for sure, but there aren't always multiple IMMs online. I certainly don't make a habit of waiting around for someone else to catch wayward prayers when I'm trying to advance a plot, and I don't expect players to have to wait for more than one of us to be around to, either.

That said, if I am in a situation where I have spoken to a player's mind from inside of an NPC and don't receive a response, I usually wait a few moments and then resend the last tell or some prompt for a reply. I understand that sometimes you get interrupted, and I try to accommodate that. Last night, there was a huge RP going on, and it may have been quite difficult to keep track of every single interaction. I'm not sure how many staff members were on hand last night, but I was not.

Anyway, I hope that makes our limitations as staff a little bit more clear.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:47 pm 
Mortal

While I don't like the ability to respond to an unknown tell that wasn't your most current one. I do like the idea of an adjective to replace the someone in says and tells. Not that I think it is of any priority unless it is fairly easy to code.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:08 pm 
Mortal

Did not know that Meissa. Thanks for the clarification. Boy does that ever sound clunky.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:43 am 

Good to know! Thanks for the prompt response. So then, ooc prayers are only semi-helpful, then? Just asking because I had a string of d/c's leading up to not being able to reply, too. I think I probably made the other person impatient :(

As far as these sorts of things are concerned, some sort of system for being able to speak back to a NPC would be great. If it's unrealistic code-wise then I guess it can't be helped.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:36 am 
Mortal

i have to disagree on the adjective in 'someone' tells. Its all part of the annonimity of invis, camo, dark/nighttime rooms. I would not want to see this implimented. I see alot of OOC abuse that could happen. I also think that depowers the people with abilities to see hidden, spirits, and whatnot.