Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Help needed for building a solid Hellion
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:44 pm 
Mortal

Deep-elf is a terrible choice for hellion.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:01 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Ivan, Mythros
This is a little off topic, but I figured it would be better to put this here than another thread.. unless I get little to no responses of course. I noticed that the class description of a Hellion on the website and the help code description are somewhat contradicting as far as the RP aspect of the character goes. Why is the Hellion the best escape artist in the game, not only that, but has the best skills to allow for ambushing and yet... the code pretty much makes these skills useless unless you disregard the RP aspect of it. A Hellion should have no need to hide or sneak about. Why would a Hellion wish to be invisible when all should tremble before his strength? What need does a Hellion have for recalling during combat when he would rather die than bring dishonor upon his name? I'm sure if I really tried hard enough, I could justify the need for these skills, as long as I didn't use them to their full potential. Hide/sneak/invis are needed in times when the hellion wishes not to be seen or have his presence felt so easilly? However, I could not justify using these skills to get the drop on an opponent(s) because it would show weakness and bring dishonor. Can anyone explain the best ways to get around what I've encountered? It seems like the RP aspect of the class truly kills some of these important skills for pk if I want to follow the code 100%, which I would like to. The main reason I wanted to try the Hellion is because it is probably the most versatile class in the game as far as pvp goes... from what I can see. Thanks in advance for any tips or justifications.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:16 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Karsh
Hellion honor is not paladin honor. Their challenge need not be issued immediately before combat. Instead they're more likely to let someone know they are an enemy and then let said enemy stew in their own fear of the hellion's eventual assault. If the opponent isn't strong enough to be prepared 24/7 after that challenge is issued, it's their own fault that massive halberd cleave caught them from the shadows.

As far as WOR is concerned, a hellion is again not a paladin. If the opponent isn't strong enough to get through the pet/dominate/ guard NPC and bash the hellion before they can cast or quaff out, they don't deserve the kill. Besides which they are technically clerics and clerics in sk are given word.

Hellion honor is different than paladin honor in a lot of ways. Their skills and spells reflect that and are intended to be used to portray that difference.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:30 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Ivan, Mythros
According to the help file on code... which only seems to refer to the Hellion, it paints a different picture. However... if what you say is how everyone in the game sees it, I am very happy you posted. It clears things up a bit. I appreciate it man.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:42 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
A hellion should certainly never attack someone whom he hasn't issued a challenge against. However, that certainly doesn't mean that the hellion can't use stealth to accomplish his need for killing peeps and conquesting things.

I always pictured the fact that hellions get hide and sneak as part of their domineering RP. In other words, a hellion is scary enough if he's coming straight at you with a cleave. It's even scarier to think that he could be right behi

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:09 am 
Mortal

And thus Edoras was cleaved in twain.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:49 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Karsh
maxman wrote:
According to the help file on code... which only seems to refer to the Hellion, it paints a different picture. However... if what you say is how everyone in the game sees it, I am very happy you posted. It clears things up a bit. I appreciate it man.

It actually doesn't paint a different picture. Let's break it down via direct quotes from the code helpfile.

Quote:
Strength:
Above all else the Hellion respects STRENGTH. Only power commands respect.
Anyone who can be defeated is worthy of contempt and exploitation. Anyone
who can not is worthy of respect and obedience until he can be defeated.
Strength can be found in many places: wealth, politics, allies, the sword,
and the spell. Thus shall the Hellion seek superiority in all, and by
strength, command respect.

Bottom line, strength is everything. Strength determines honor. If you have no strength, you have no honor, and are not due any equal treatment from those who are your superiors. In fact, if you have no strength, you aren't even due honorable treatment by the hellion.

I'm not going to quote the whole honor section, because there's only a couple of lines that matter in this context.

Quote:
The Hellion shall value honor second only to strength.

To attack without issuing a challenge shows weakness,

As mentioned before, the Hellion's challenge doesn't need to be issued instantly before the attack, just so long as they let their enemy know they'll be coming for them eventually. The first part of the quote basically defines the boundaries of the hellion honor code, and it all revolves around the difference between strength between individuals.

The ambition part basically just ensures that you have a reason to constantly make efforts to be the strongest. Again, it all comes back to strength. Anyone not having it needs to be forced to submit and is undeserving of standing by considerations of honor.

All of this is further supported by the Aberrant alignment, which demands honor above anything else, but doesn't define the concept of "honor" beyond that. Which means, given that it's the only alignment available to hellions, you are dealing with an honor code based on and defined only by strength when dealing with a hellion.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:17 pm 
Mortal

Hellions deal with honor the way really twisted lawyers deal with the law. If you remember that at the end of the day you're playing a wicked, nasty character doing wicked and nasty things, and is interested primarily in using honor to justify his or her wicked, nasty actions, it kind of falls into place. Hellions abide by honor, yes, but it's the kind of honor that makes you go "you BASTARD" rather than admire that person.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:22 pm 
Mortal

Le Petit Prince wrote:
Hellions abide by honor, yes, but it's the kind of honor that makes you go "you BASTARD" rather than admire that person.

I concur with that. Hellions make the most interesting villains imo.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:08 pm 
Mortal

haha my dwarf hellions were not so bad?? but it really always goes to faction and what you want to do. my dwarfs always maxd hp and had half art 3-4? str con maxd mod the rest

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next