Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Best race for explorer sorcerer?
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:15 pm 
Mortal

ObjectivistActivist wrote:
Their int is not good enough and their resistances/immunities don't balance their lack of saves/enchantable slots. Physical dmg resistance through toughness is not a consideration for A sorc. Any race sorc getting hit is going to die, toughness or not. And again their int is not good enough.

Not without sitting and releasing all other spells. And they can't sleep with a charm until near the end of their lives.

Nope, definitely not refuting your nonsense claims of griffon sorc superiority with facts related to the game mechanics necessary for successful play. Totally relying on personal attacks to undermine your questionable credibility as a reliable source of intel for a newb looking for advice on sorc races. Jeeze, you got me so bad. I think I'll buy stock in an Aloe Vera provider now.

Those arguments are based on faulty premises and have been thoroughly rebuked. Got anything else? The only legitimate argument against griffon PvE superiority is that they cannot be grey alignment and miss out on certain grouping opportunities. Otherwise they are at worst as good as any other race + additional trains, and in practice even better because they outperform any other race sorcerer in a no-magic room, there are a few other nuances with polymorph, and there are griffon-only opportunities from being naturally mountable. They can also manage the highest natural carry weight for a sorcerer, which also has some PvE value.

I think the haters just have not thought this through and are basing a lot of their objections on standard griffon stigmatization that does not apply in this context, and/or are considering suboptimal builds. They are also not considering the fun of smashing NPCs with a solo griffon sorcerer or the conveniences provided by endurance, toughness, and griffon traits. This approach would have great utility and be the most fun for essentially being two characters in one, allowing for exploration on both an IC and OOC level.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:25 pm 
Mortal

cheesekk wrote:
Could you please clarify on why a griffon polymorphed into a sprite is useful? What is the relative concentration cost of polymorphing via a scroll? On my last character I made it up to Expert I think but I never used Scribe or figured it out.

Sprites have higher INT and can wear more EQ. They are a good choice for a polymorph secondary because they are tiny and thus keeping a sprite suit requires minimal weight. If you use scrolls there is no concentration or mana cost to maintain the spell. If you would rather cast and maintain the spell to have more control over its use, then deep-elf is a better secondary because their very high INT more than offsets the concentration requirements, but your kit would have to be small and thus weigh more. Some would argue it's worth the extra weight. Also, you can resize the kit as needed, but that would be annoying to have to do all the time, and sprites and deep-elves would require slightly different kits (though still doable in one kit).

As an explorer this is something you can study and figure out. It should be interesting to learn about.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:03 pm 
Mortal

Best to worst: Deep-elf, sprite, human, gnome, elf, griffon, half-elf.

Train mana, charisma and intelligence to max, leaving constitution and wisdom 4/5 from max (use stat mods). Train art six times, so scroll recites are at peak effectiveness. Sorcerer skill set is strong enough to overcome any race you select - pick one and spend your time having fun in the game instead of reading forum warriors argue about griffons.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:09 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
Finney's points are much more concise and accurate than all the rest of us, except that it might not be as useful to max charisma anymore now that the only thing it will affect is your order lag and your natural xp gain.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:49 pm 
Mortal

Hold on -- scrolls have no mana cost to maintain? Does that mean that any race sorcerer could, for example, polymorph themselves into another race and keep that race indefinitely (baring dispel) without any loss of concentration? If so, why not play any race you want and, if so impressed by griffon abilities, live as a griffon?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:57 pm 
Mortal

cheesekk wrote:
Hold on -- scrolls have no mana cost to maintain? Does that mean that any race sorcerer could, for example, polymorph themselves into another race and keep that race indefinitely (baring dispel) without any loss of concentration? If so, why not play any race you want and, if so impressed by griffon abilities, live as a griffon?

Scrolls have a duration, after which you revert and must use up another scroll if you want to continue on the same.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:31 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
And when you polymorph you automatically release all spells, which means that if you plan on holding a charm, for example, that you're going to have a bad time if you intend to continuously polymorph (Which is a losing prospect from a material cost point of view on scrolls anyway).

Now, if you were to get your hands on one of the few polymorph wands in the game and apply it liberally while recharging it in between, that could be a pretty achievable goal, albeit still very annoying to have to release all spells whenever it wore off and you wanted to reapply it.

Oh, and null-magic rooms would screw you over, but those already do that to sorcerers. I also have a feeling that quest NPCs probably don't react very well to polymorphed PCs.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:51 pm 
Mortal

Ah, OK. That makes far more sense to me, otherwise it seemed that scrolls were overpowered.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:35 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: RAWR!
Quote:
The only legitimate argument against griffon PvE superiority is that they cannot be grey alignment and miss out on certain grouping opportunities.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:35 am 
Mortal

I love how a single laughing smiley shut the whole thread up. I'll have to try that sometime. :)

I'm trying to understand the difference between MP and MR for sorcerers. If I have it right...

1) MP reduces damage by some amount and MR gives some chance to avoid the spell altogether?
2) Shield is MP and Spell Ward is MR?
3) Some spells bypass MR, like Magma Spray? Which ones?
4) Do the spells that bypass MR also bypass MP?
5) Are there some spells that only get a MR check but not MP?
6) What is the general rule for determining which to enchant, MP or MR? I'm guessing from a few posts I read that Sorc MR is common, but then that leaves you vulnerable to certain things?

Thanks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next