Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Best race for explorer sorcerer?
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:41 pm 
Mortal

Edoras wrote:
Styles always has made it a habit to act like he's privy to something that other people don't know to make himself look superior, except that it usually turns out to be something of little to no consequence.

There is really no excuse for you to resort to ad hominen here; Baldric made an incorrect statement and I simply corrected it.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:10 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Retired Troll
I think Edoras was just correctly identifying a pattern with you. This isn't the first time you've said I'm wrong about something without backing up your claim. Maybe you do know something I don't. You've just never provided any reason to take you seriously.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:35 pm 
Mortal

Baldric wrote:
I think Edoras was just correctly identifying a pattern with you. This isn't the first time you've said I'm wrong about something without backing up your claim. Maybe you do know something I don't. You've just never provided any reason to take you seriously.

Or, instead of making an ad hominem attack, Edoras could have just said, "Give us at least one example, because I believe Baldric to be correct and you are wrong." Or something like that, is it that hard to do, especially in the Newbie forum?

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:59 pm 
Mortal

You guys are still posting on this?

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:04 pm 
Mortal

Baldric wrote:

What you said was wrong though. If you want to know which other spells bypass MR go find out. I'm just letting the advice-seeker who started this thread know that it is a common misconception that magma spray is the only spell that bypasses MR. It's not. It's not even the only hostile one that does. If the pattern Edoras has identified is that I post to let people know when they're wrong without specifying why when it would be inappropriate to do so, that's fine with me and it's still no excuse to make personal attacks. Those are 100% unwarranted in this form, end of story.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:30 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Retired Troll
I think you are being overly sensitive. It wasn't meant as a personal attack so much as a bit of useful information for a new player. You have a tendency of presenting yourself to newbies as a veteran and an expert. Edoras suggesting that people take your advice with a grain of salt is just another example of him being courteous to newbies.

And again, maybe you do know something I don't. It wouldn't shock me if some religious spells or cabal spells or maybe some spell that's never used in pvp ignores MR. But when you weigh in on game mechanics, you are usually vague (as you are being now), so it is impossible to tell if you know what you are talking about. When you are not vague, you are often wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:08 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
Styles, you told a newbie that griffon was a good choice of race for sorc, and were vague about why. That's the sort of advice that newbies really don't need.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:47 am 
Mortal

I move that this thread be moved to GD, because it is [REDACTED] hilarious.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:21 pm 
Mortal

Baldric wrote:
I think you are being overly sensitive. It wasn't meant as a personal attack so much as a bit of useful information for a new player. You have a tendency of presenting yourself to newbies as a veteran and an expert. Edoras suggesting that people take your advice with a grain of salt is just another example of him being courteous to newbies.

See, you're talking about me again instead of about the facts, and now you're even lying about me. I have never presented myself as an expert on anything. What I present are ideas based on both facts and my opinion, and I use logical arguments to support them. I believe ideas should be evaluated on their own merits, independent of who proposed them or why, hence I don't care to position myself as an expert or make illogical appeals to authority. Such argument tactics are anathema to productive discussion.

Quote:
And again, maybe you do know something I don't. It wouldn't shock me if some religious spells or cabal spells or maybe some spell that's never used in pvp ignores MR. But when you weigh in on game mechanics, you are usually vague (as you are being now), so it is impossible to tell if you know what you are talking about. When you are not vague, you are often wrong.

Sometimes being vague is required. Certain skills and spells are not really supposed to be discussed openly on the forums; don't blame me for this policy or for adhering to it. That said, it's really not on me to explain to you or anyone why you are wrong. You made an incorrect statement that magma spray is the only thing that ignores MR and now you are backpedaling instead of just owning up to it. That's fine and all, but I just wanted this newbie to know that there are spells besides magma spray that ignore MR. Whether they are used in PK or not is immaterial to a discussion about an explorer character.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:43 am 
Mortal

Styles wrote:
You made an incorrect statement that magma spray is the only thing that ignores MR and now you are backpedaling instead of just owning up to it.

The most you could expect from anyone when you make a claim with as little detail as you have is a "maybe you're right and I'm wrong." You do realize this type of scenario is the same thing that causes most religious debates. The best difference is that Baldric can go create multiple characters that join each cabal to try out each skill on an MR barb and know for sure if you're right or wrong.

Please Baldric. Do us this one favor, ol' buddy, ol' chum, ol' pal. <3

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next