VOTE NOW!
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Hi and some noob questions
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:26 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Retired Troll
patrisaurus wrote:
Pretty sure Meztiso just landed himself on a watch list.

hahaha

Oh and welcome to the game. If you have any questions about mechanics, you should PM Edoras. If he mentions tigers, though, you should get a second opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:30 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
<3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:27 am 
Mortal

What determines how quickly you get to 'know' a place as in 'you recently discovered this place' changing all the way to 'you know this place like the back of your hand'? Is it the number of in game hours that you spend in the place or is it the number of battles that you do there or what?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:33 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Karsh
SeraKyla wrote:
What determines how quickly you get to 'know' a place as in 'you recently discovered this place' changing all the way to 'you know this place like the back of your hand'? Is it the number of in game hours that you spend in the place or is it the number of battles that you do there or what?

It's the amount of experience you gain there, and seems to be tempered by the level range of the area vs your own level. I.E., there seems to be a "sweet spot" for most areas where if you enter them at the bottom end of the range, you can squeeze the most exp out of it before it's red, whereas if you go too late or early, it reds out sooner.

It's worth noting that area familiarity for all PC party members will equal the lowest familiarity of any one of the PC party members so long as the members are within five levels of each other.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:44 am 
Mortal

I suspect bonus experience from a high charisma may not count towards this total, and a charisma penalty will not necessarily delay transitions. That's just supposition, however.

Most curves in the game have an exponential feel to them. Gaps between intervals don't remain consistent. For example, carrying capacity grows at a non-linear rate per training/enchantment of strength.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:54 am 
Mortal

Thanks to both of you. I knew it couldn't be in-game hours as my character has spent countless hours in non-combat areas and it remained green while being only a few hours of combat in another area and it went red already. Your explanation makes a whole lot more sense.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:06 pm 
Immortal

SK Character: NA - Inactive
SeraKyla wrote:
First of all, I'm new and having fun here so thanks for letting me join SK.

I've read through a LOT of the forum before I had the nerve to actually join and post so if I missed the answers to any of these questions somewhere, I'm sorry but I did try.

First question and if this is IC information, just kind of direct me WHERE IC I could find it. Does a magic spell increase with power as the user goes higher in rank? For example, would a journeyman sorcerer's magic missile have more damage power than a novice sorcerer's magic missile? Or would it just be the same no matter the rank/level? The same would go for physical damage melee weapons as well, would they cause more damage as the player ranks or no?

Second, I see a lot of talk i these forums about the IMMs actually watching over people in the game. Does that actually happen? If so, what rank does a person get to before they become important enough for the gods to actually care what they do? I have a thorough backstory on my character that I play out and it, like most rp games, develops over time. Do I actually need to tell an IMM what my story is so I don't get in trouble or something?

Anyway, having fun and meeting new people so yeah... I like it here. thanks for the game and the answers to my questions.

A belated welcome to you, I hope you've been enjoying the game.

My 2 cents on the imms watching....

Like Sadal, it's usually pretty random. But there is some method behind it too. Sometimes I'll just go down the who list and peek in on everybody just to see what's going on. Often I will start off looking at the lower level characters online. I often go looking for RP to reward, and am much more generous with low level characters I find roleplaying instead of plevelling. I believe the claim "nobody RPs with you until you're GM" is only as true as the players choose to make it, and I like to reward those who prove it false. I like to look in on names Im NOT familiar with on the who list, always looking for fresh new faces contributing to the game. I like to look in on characters who have already shown themselves in the past to be driving interesting RP storylines. I like to watch PvP scenarios that unravel, especially raids of differing cities and headquarters by warring factions. I sometimes watch groups of players going to some of the more challenging zones in the game. If I look in and somebody is just hack n slash leveling, I usually just move on (boring) unless I suspect some kind of abuse or cheating.

Usually if I choose to interact with a player, it will be through some kind of environmental impact (weather, feelings, sounds, other things out of the ordinary), or through other creatures in the area. VERY rarely is my interaction directly through the goddess Dabi, and that is almost exclusively with her followers, and even those are very brief, likely to end in some random blessing or bloodshed, the goddess Herself too far above these specks of mortality to give them much more than a passing thought. Looking at her, sending her a direct tell, leaving or entering her presence without her permission are all likely to end in death.

On rare occasion if Im really intrigued, I'll throw a bone (or a wrench) into an RP scenario I encounter. The extent to which I continue with it is often dependent on the kind of RP response from the players involved. I don't like to follow pre-scripted RP but like to leave things ambiguous, open to (mis)interpretation, and abhor "setting things up" OOCly, always preferring to keep them entirely IC, in game, as much as possible.

- Dabi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:50 pm 
Mortal

Thank you very kindly for your answer and greetings Dabi. I appreciate it... and yes, I'm having a blast here. Thanks.