Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hi and some noob questions
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:03 pm 
Mortal

First of all, I'm new and having fun here so thanks for letting me join SK.

I've read through a LOT of the forum before I had the nerve to actually join and post so if I missed the answers to any of these questions somewhere, I'm sorry but I did try.

First question and if this is IC information, just kind of direct me WHERE IC I could find it. Does a magic spell increase with power as the user goes higher in rank? For example, would a journeyman sorcerer's magic missile have more damage power than a novice sorcerer's magic missile? Or would it just be the same no matter the rank/level? The same would go for physical damage melee weapons as well, would they cause more damage as the player ranks or no?

Second, I see a lot of talk i these forums about the IMMs actually watching over people in the game. Does that actually happen? If so, what rank does a person get to before they become important enough for the gods to actually care what they do? I have a thorough backstory on my character that I play out and it, like most rp games, develops over time. Do I actually need to tell an IMM what my story is so I don't get in trouble or something?

Anyway, having fun and meeting new people so yeah... I like it here. thanks for the game and the answers to my questions.

Post subject: Re: Hi and some noob questions
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:14 pm 
Mortal

To my knowledge yes as you get higher in rank the power of the spell hits harder, I could be wrong though.

Yes the imms are active mostly and there really is no rank you have to be to be watched by an imm. Mostly when the imm watches someone they are watching for a reason, so always be on your toes if you ever get interaction from an imm. :P

And last No your story does not need to be told to an imm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:15 pm 
Mortal

Welcome to Shattered Kingdoms!

Yes damage spells increase as you gain advancements.

Yes sometimes the Imms will watch players like myself because I'm just that awesome. 8)
On a serious note though, I'm not sure what dictates whether or not you will be watched, or if they
just do it randomly.

lol No, you don't need to tell an imm your background story and no, you wont get in trouble.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:18 pm 
Mortal

Caveat: I could be wrong on everything I say.

SeraKyla wrote:
First question and if this is IC information, just kind of direct me WHERE IC I could find it. Does a magic spell increase with power as the user goes higher in rank? For example, would a journeyman sorcerer's magic missile have more damage power than a novice sorcerer's magic missile? Or would it just be the same no matter the rank/level? The same would go for physical damage melee weapons as well, would they cause more damage as the player ranks or no?

There are two or three factors at work here. My advice is to reference things like the D20 srd (http://www.d20srd.org/) While the exact details of the number are not known to players officially, you can probably transfer some of the notions of caster level, difficulty classes of saving throws, and other concepts.

SeraKyla wrote:
Second, I see a lot of talk i these forums about the IMMs actually watching over people in the game. Does that actually happen? If so, what rank does a person get to before they become important enough for the gods to actually care what they do? I have a thorough backstory on my character that I play out and it, like most rp games, develops over time. Do I actually need to tell an IMM what my story is so I don't get in trouble or something?

Immortals can go "wizinvis" and follow you unseen throughout all your actions. Furthermore, they can "snoop" on your connection to the game. Some immortals will randomly present roleplay opportunities to your character. Some may just quietly watch for any chances for improvement. Some, like you mention, will be investigating claims.

The best tip I can offer is that "god language" is colored white in the game. If you get an OOC tell from "someone" the text is white, it's likely that you've being approached by a staff member. I'm not sure if it actually says that anywhere.

By and large -- and this is where I am most likely to be wrong -- general rules for things like alignment, race, and class mean that no matter what your story is you will generally fall within certain ranges of behavior. If an immortal feels like he or she would need to know the circumstances and details of something to understand it, you can rest assured they will probably ask if they feel the need to.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:22 pm 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
Hi, and welcome.

I'm not entirely sure if it's spelled out anywhere clearly in the game, but the answer to your first question is that many spells absolutely scale in power as a caster grows in strength. The same can be said of most skills, as well.

Addressing the second question, we absolutely do watch over players. Personally, I like to peek in on everyone from time to time; this helps me to understand the current living story of the game and helps me to develop plots that coincide with mortal characters. I don't typically spend much time watching people leveling because it's boring, but if there are conversations or PvP battles afoot, I try to get at least a feel for what's happening.

That said, I don't want you to feel that there's someone constantly peeking over your shoulder -- because we're probably not at any given instant. It's very hard to monitor more than one player at a time, and other IMM responsibilities such as building and scripting make it tricky to watch even one. While we seek to enforce standards of roleplay and conduct, it is best to assume that we haven't seen specific instances in real time and to report problems (preferably with log support) as they arise.

And yes, we snoop quietly at random, with specific intent to roleplay, or to investigate, but none of these reasons necessarily trumps the others in frequency.

Prayers are a good way to try to contact an IMM for immediate attention if it's necessary for any reason. If any members of the staff are available, we are all more than happy to address both IC and OOC questions and concerns. Don't hesitate to contact us for any reason. Matters that you feel are less urgent can be addressed via forum private messages and emails, using the addresses listed in the "wizlist" command in game.

Again, welcome to SK. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:23 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Karsh
Welcome to the game, and from our IC interactions, I think you'll make a fine addition. I'll try to answer your questions as much as able without violating TOS.

SeraKyla wrote:

Some spells are affected by level, and some aren't. Your best bet for learning which are which is to ask an IC mentor or other char playing the same class.

SeraKyla wrote:

Even lvl 1 chars are watched from time to time. There is no lvl limit to when an imm can call you to task, or pull you aside for a discussion, based on alignment issues and rp etc. You are expected to RP your alignment in all ways, even while leveling, at all times. Unlike some other muds, there is no OOC time on SK as a rule, unless pulled aside by a staff member and spoken to OOCly.

Most imms, with very few exceptions, will question before reacting. If you have XYZ as justification, it may be enough, or you may be warned that it is not justifiable within the context of your alignment. Most times, especially for newer players like yourself, you will receive a warning before any kind of mechanically enforced punishment. If you DO receive a punishment and feel it unjust, you can always escalate the situation to Dulrik through PMs or emails. He's kind of like the supreme court vs local courts.

Hope that helps clarify.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:30 pm 
Mortal

I don't know about the mechanical questions much, but as for the imms checking in on people I know it happens. it has happened to me a few times. it is fun when they interact with you as well (Usually not as the gods they represent in the game). I do not believe the imms take level into account as much as the players do when it comes to "importance". I for one have had imms mess with my characters in the past at very low levels. It simply depends on your RP. If you RP well enough to where other characters are talking about you it helps catch the imms eye. that is what needs to be done to have imm interaction, catch there eye. if you catch there eye as they do what they do behind the scenes, chances are they will come and take a peek at what you are doing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:34 pm 
Mortal

Thanks for all the answers and so quickly. I'm an old school table top rp player so being IC always just comes natural for me. And i think it's really cool the imms watch the mortals and even come in game sometimes. The other day i saw alshain on the who list and was like omg!!! Hopefully they'll enjoy watching my story as much as i do playing it out. I read all the pages of the history of the world before i started so i could make a fitting story :). Again, thanks for answering and having me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:35 pm 
Immortal

Meissa said it pretty well, but I'll toss in my shiny pennies as well.

My method for snooping/interacting with people: RANDOM!

My hours are all over the place when I am actually active and it depends on how much other stuff I have to do as to whether or not I am going to be watching and interacting with people. Sometimes when I log in I do a quick snoop of everyone on and see if there is something that piques my interest. Sometimes if you are doing something that can be boring I might try to add a little flare to it without appearing as my actual god self just to make the game more fun for players. I enjoy adding a little unexpected element when there are groups gathered at an Inn or on an adventure. I like to toss out random echoes and see who reacts to them. I enjoy rping the movement of things in rooms or changes in the weather.

The prayer command is both an IC and an OOC sort of deal. You are free to pray up IC to your choosen god if you have one, or any god really. But keep in mind reactions as a result of such are mixed. Sadal has slain characters for things they've said in prayers but she has also sat down and played dice with them. So it is a mixed bag with her.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:04 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Ivan, Mythros
Everyone seemed to answer the questions for you and welcome to the game.

I have a slightly off topic question.. but it's sort of tied to Sadaal's comment. Who in the heck rps with that male sex slave? I forgot it's name... I just remember my giant being insulted by his flirting and slaughtered him without realize it was some imm messing around!