Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help files (again)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:27 pm 
Mortal

For newbs that have no idea about enchanting/consecrating is it possible to have help files for these two runes?

Code:
> help magic protection
No help on that word.

[HP:100%] [ME:100%] [PE:100%]
> help armor protection
No help on that word.

After all there is a help file for magic resistance.

Please?

Post subject: Re: Help files (again)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:04 pm 
Mortal

"Runes" is a word that was invented by players to get around obfuscation of the enchantment system.

While I agree that better documentation on magical protect and resistance would be good, I would qualify that with the hope that the term "runes" never enters into an official lexicon.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:37 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Rolf
What's the problem with using the term, "runes" in character?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:06 pm 
Mortal

The same problem I have with the words "Snarf snarf" in-character: they're contrived. Last time I saw, all enchantment was represented with was a brief glow, perhaps a hum, and maybe a permanent glow. None of that obliges every single enchanter to have every single enchantment expressed in terms of "runes."

Of course, this could be like importing a ... wait, Newbie Help? No, I'll just leave it at that: the problem with canonizing "runes" in-character is that we have no evidence that there are any. If there were, it stands to reason we could all easily discern the difference between a +2 and a +3 bonus, and that even the unlearned could figure out how to see and read them. Magic isn't, as far as the game has suggested to us, a written language in that sense.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:30 pm 
Mortal

I had a priest that would dip his finger in water and draw a rune on the item with the drop of water before enchanting it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:31 pm 
Mortal

grep wrote:
the problem with canonizing "runes" in-character is that we have no evidence that there are any. If there were, it stands to reason we could all easily discern the difference between a +2 and a +3 bonus, and that even the unlearned could figure out how to see and read them. Magic isn't, as far as the game has suggested to us, a written language in that sense.

I must say that I completely agree with Grep on this point. From what I've seen, only the magical folk who can use a particularly useful spell/prayer or a similar scroll or wand are able to discern any enhancements on a piece. So it can't be something that's written but instead a supernatural energy of some type. So calling them 'runes' would be completely out of place.

Nevertheless, the word is easy to use in order to refer to a number of times to apply the necessary prayer/spell to the item and in a text-based game, having an easy word that all can understand and follow makes sense as well. I'm not against the word because of that usage but I do wish there were a more appropriate term to use that was equally all-encompassing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:37 pm 
Mortal

I use "enchantments," because that's what they are.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:43 pm 
TMS Cheerleader

SK Character: Addison
While we are on subject...what is the best in character way to ask for will fort and reflex enchantments....its not something you would normally ask for. Compared to all the others

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:56 pm 
Mortal

For the most part, I try to describe what it is, instead of trying to sum it into one word. For fort I might say, "Can you add some of your magics/blessings so that I can even shrug off the strongest of poisons?" on reflex, "Can you add some of your magics/blessings to that I can dodge a warlock's lightning bolts easier?"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:15 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Airkli
I like saying runes, in and out of character. So I will continue.