Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New to MUDs
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:15 pm 

I don't want to get into a lengthy explanation so I'll keep it brief
MUDs look amazing
I think Shattered Kingdoms is a very interesting world from what I have read about it
I want to play Shattered Kingdoms
I want to roleplay and roleplay well
I am terribly embarrassed by my lack of skill in the roleplaying
I would like a mentor on roleplaying and muds
I have read FAQs, but I need more guidance
I'm a idiot
I'm pretty hopeless
Please help

-Love A Newbie

Post subject: Re: New to MUDs
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:23 pm 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
There are some excellent mentors out there to help you. I suggest, first and foremost, using the mentor command in game from the newbie area or the inn of your starting city. It will send out an alert to players who have volunteered to be of assistance to young characters in game, but it is also very helpful for finding those who are willing to spend time teaching basics to new players. Most seasoned vets are really awesome about taking their time to ensure that new ones have their bearings.

Also, feel free to use the prayer command. If there are any administrators (gods in character) around, we are always happy to help, too.

Welcome to Shattered Kingdoms! I'm sure it can't possibly be as bad as you're making it out! You'll be on your way in no time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:05 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Ivalyn
Greetings to you!

Nice to see your enthusiasm about the concept of mudding and Shattered Kingdoms in particular. I have played this game off and on for years and I can understand how overwhelming it can seem at first.

I still often say "I'm and idiot" and "I'm pretty hopeless", but know there are people out there that are more than happy to help you. I can vouch for Meissa's statement about the seasoned vets being willing to extend help, advice, and guidance. Don't be afraid to ask.

Happy playing!

-G

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:08 pm 
Mortal

Hi, tachyon. Don't feel embarrassed about being new, and don't get caught up in thinking that you're "bad" at this. Nobody started this game as a pro. Everybody muddled their way through newbihood at some point or another. Some of us are still working through it, even after ten years. ;)

I play a gray aligned character named Invidia. She's perfectly willing to treat with anyone, so feel free to ask her for help if you need anything.

My biggest recommendation to you, though, is to read the help files. There are tons and tons of helpfiles, so just try cycling through words related to the topic you're confused about, and you're bound to find something. Mentors will help as well, as Meissa explained.

Another recommendation is to develop those quick and accurate typing skills. This game is pretty fast paced, as I'm sure you've noticed, and being a slick juggernaut on the keyboard really helps. It takes a long time, but sticking with this game is what made me an exceptional typist, and it can do the same for you too. Motivation is all it takes. :)

OH, and do not, do not, do NOT be afraid to ask questions in Newbie Help. If there's something you're confused about and you cannot find the info in the game no matter how hard you try, come here. Someone will help you, I promise.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:37 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Caric
A few tips to get good at RPing.
First tip. Start playing.
Second tip. Do not think of your character as yourself. You will feel less frustrated when you make mistakes because you can make those mistakes character building rather than frustrating. Also helps if player vs player is involved because you dont take things too personally.
Third tip. When in doubt helpfiles.
Fourth tip. Dont be scared to reach out and talk to someone. Mentor command is good well your really low level but a simple tell a player on the who list can also be a good start point to anything. This is very important if you ever end up dead dont be shy about asking people if they are or know a priest etc.
Fifth and final tip have fun.
Final note good RP is something that is normally fun to do and creates fun for other people. Fun does not always mean hugs and puppies it can be something challenging.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:04 am 

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.
Ive been reading help files repetitively and hope practice my roleplaying with someone soon.
I'll make sure I try the mentor thing out.

Much appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:37 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Gailehn, Stephanov
Welcome aboard the good ship, Pyrathia!

For your safety:
Please keep your arms and legs inside your armor at all times!
Pointy ears and weapons may attract the wrong kind of attention.
The land is not at peace. Get to know a priest or two to put your pieces together.
Keep your chin up but your head down. Stretching your neck is a good way to lose it. (Don't RP like a big shot, unless you want to be shot down, and/or are ready for it. Understand some people just kill to kill and may do the RP later. Stay IC when this happens and some RP should come out of the situation).
There is a lot of support in the game everywhere from mentors to help you out.

Welcome to Shattered Kingdoms, and hope you enjoy your stay. See you in the game!
player of Gailehn

Post subject: Reeeaaallly now?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:02 pm 
Mortal

This is amazing... Fascinating even! To think we'd find a newbie so fresh, and sticky, and warm, and interested!

CHEERS!~♫

Smoochy doesn't want to repeat whats already been said. But like everything, its best to brush up on finer details before getting into things. Kinda like when you learn to swim, and you have floaties, and a paddle board, and a snorkel, while you're standing on the shallow end, with the super hawt lifeguard, and the water next to your classmate is suspiciously warmer then you think it should be...what couldn't be better?

Anywizz!

Seeing as you've made your choice, you should turn this box around and check the "How to use Label". Telnet won't do, and you won't be able to comfortably play SK without a proper Client to interface. SK is really no different then any MMORPG, minus the ridiculously anime-proportioned player characters. You said you like how Mud's look, so, Smoochy suggests Mushclient. Its very simple to use ♫.

Kind of imagine the oooonly thing you'd have trouble with is the RP part. Lots of people are willing to help with writing descriptions, speaking/emoting, or interacting with the game. A lot of things are either hush-hush, or are simply not covered in the Helpfiles.

Another suggestion? Be a social character. When in-game, play what you are: fresh, young, and naive about the world...

Someone will reach out to you... or bash your head in for dribbling like a giddy idiot~♫

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:11 pm 

Well I got Mushclient and I definitely like the size of it.
Much better than playing on the main site on that little square.
Looks like there's much more to it! but I have other things to focus on at the moment like learning how to play in general.

I've been really embarrassed by my interactions so far because I freak out and become laconic with a nod or shake of the head.
I feel like its going to take a few weeks to get use to it, but that's just me. I expect my character to evolve as I evolve myself as a player.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:24 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Airkli
You sound amazing, just by your forum presence. Glad you're here.