Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Griffion Emotes
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:41 am 

Hey everyone.
After a few days of mindless killing (A LOT of) termites (didn't really know what to do), I have come to the world outside of the academy.

Being new to MUDs and role-playing in general, I have stumbled upon a problem (sorta my fault for not choosing a human like race) I don't know how to express my character right so I was wondering if the people around the forums could give my some helpful suggestions on things griffons would or might do to express themselves. It's bad enough as it is that I'm pretty bad at role-playing, but I seem to lack the creativity needed. I wish to continue playing and hope for the best that the community might give me a lending hand into this new world I have so far throughly enjoyed.
I know the obvious answer would be to re-roll, but I don't want to throw away all the time people have spent mentoring me the past couple days. I would feel bad and more importantly...MY character would feel ashamed

Post subject: Re: Griffion Emotes
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:06 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Airkli
Well you have a beak. So how do you smile? Well you cant. What does a smile express? Happiness. How do creatures with beaks express happiness?

emote makes a cheerful chirping noise.

Frown? Dissatisfaction.

emote stamps his front talon in apparent distaste.

Hug?

emote wraps his wings around @xxx in a griffon-hug.

Laugh?

emote cranes his neck back and makes several loud gurgling noises.

Contemplative?

pemote eyes seem to settle on nothing in particular, expressing deep thought.

Use what you know you have. Wings. Eyes. A beak. Talons. Rear paws. A large body. Feathers.

Griffon RP is great once you get into it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:40 am 
Mortal

Quote:
Griffon RP is great once you get into it.
Just like makar RP would be.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:31 pm 
Mortal

I like emotes with snapping and clacking beaks.

Also, thesaurus.com is your friend, to try and liven up your emotes so they don't all look the same. For instance:

Quote:
Synonyms for chirp
trill
warble
call
chip
chirrup
lilt
pipe
purl
quaver

Just be creative and have fun with it. I love the thesaurus, it helps me a lot sometimes. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:48 am 
Mortal

Code:
emote excitedly bobs up and down as a high pitched whir emits from her throat.

say Do za barrel rollz!
Smoochy used to have a lot of pet Parakeets. Not much of a griffon fan.

Anywayz, to be honest, the fun parts of any non-humanoid race is describing any of the animal traits associated. Seeing as Griffons share parts of both birds and felines, kind of leaves a lot of options on the table. Its probably best to watch someone with experience to that race as they RP. Research also helps...

Speaking of, OA does make a handsome Griffon~♫

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:05 am 
Mortal

Hello, I am new to this MUD (hope we'll meet there!). I think it is very difficult to role-play when you are new, because we don't know enough of the world to talk of Gods or things like that, and we are quite immersed trying to learn the commands, directions, etc (and not understanding half of what is said, but we can't keep asking..that in itself is RP, the non-asking :D ). I was about to choose Griffon, because I saw somewhere they start at 3 years old. :D If I had been a griffon, I wouldn't have spoken as if I was a bird...that looks quite impossible for me to do.

I guess our first character has to start role-playing as somehow ignorant. Maybe a bit deaf or distracted even. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:37 am 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
Many of the newbie areas give new players an out. For instance, Kytar University is where Imperials begin their training to become legionnaires -- the country expects everyone to give service to the Empire. Whether or not they ultimately do, everyone starts at Kytar as a recruit. Everyone in the Northern Wastes must earn his or her freedom.

Feel free to take basic cues from what is provided. There is no penalty for adding depth to a character as he or she progresses. In fact, some of the most rewarding characters (both on a personal and a game-wide level) start with a very basic premise and go from there based on IC interactions.

Welcome to SK!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:54 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Amorette
Welcome to SK, newbies! Glad to have you here!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:55 am 
Mortal

Vera wrote:
I guess our first character has to start role-playing as somehow ignorant. Maybe a bit deaf or distracted even. :roll:

You could definitely roleplay ignorance of things that are considered common in Pyrathia by making up a background story for your character which suggests s/he was very sheltered, perhaps raised by a hillbilly or something out in the boonies, or maybe an escaped slave or something. ^_^ It's never bad form to ask questions, though, and if you feel that you can't ask something in game, just come here.

Welcome to the game!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:26 am 
Mortal

Thank you all. :)

Yes, I've made this account because it looks like a good place to ask questions. I've been guided though, and intend to take it easy. I read a bit the forum before creating a character and chose a combination of class/race from one of the threads here for new players. Let's see how it plays out.