Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: swashie and pe
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:53 pm 
Mortal

As a scout and having put in 3-4 trains into PE, I have noticed a difference, from the time I trained through grand master. It does help.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:48 pm 
Mortal

Any actual newbies reading these threads should be able to recognize both the forum IDs and hyperbole of users who would be best taken with a grain of salt. For what it is worth, I am probably one of such a caste. That being said, if any character option is so good that to not take it would be silly of you, you may want to consider whether that option will remain as it stands mechanically in the future.

For some builds, the opportunity cost of art or even reducing reliance upon item-based attribute bonuses to allow for more aggressive enchanting of saving throws and various protections might drive a player to forgo training physical energy with the understanding that things like refresh potions may play a more important role in that character's life than others. If everyone makes characters the same way, the subset of items useful to that build will feel more rare than other options; this is no hypothetical matter any more than the rest of economics is a disservice to mention. When was the last time innate +6 to your favorite attribute was easy for a newbie to come by? More significantly, if there are 12 classes and more than 12 ways to play a character, we can safely assume that there are choices, or builds, within these classes. It would take a special kind of enmity or playstyle hubris to discount that fact.

Let's try not to overlook or belittle playstyle diversity; it is one of the most profound benefits of newbie activity in any multiplayer game. Training one's physical energy is intended to allow a character to run out of physical energy less often and spend less time recovering from such a scenario than otherwise. This may or may not interest a player depending on one's gamer archetype and character plans.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:30 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Theodoric
Sorry, word count doesn't equate to good advice. Not training moves is not a question of diversity. It does not impact your RP unless you decide to RP an asthmatic. It is a question of whether you want your character to be built factually better or factually worse.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:41 pm 
Mortal

patrisaurus wrote:
Sorry, word count doesn't equate to good advice. Not training moves is not a question of diversity. It does not impact your RP unless you decide to RP an asthmatic. It is a question of whether you want your character to be built factually better or factually worse.

Yes, and those trains usually are only good for when you have low PE (leveling). Usually, your trains are better spent in other areas (HP in the swashie's case). If those trains even allowed you to have some PE regen during combat, okay sure. They don't though. They are good if you plan on walking everywhere, most combats don't last long enough to worry about and the ones that are long enough you usually either have vials or a warlock with you. Even my bard in the fists never had PE issues... usually. Then again, I was always prepared.

Straw man arguments also don't make good advice, btw.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:44 pm 
Mortal

You guys are insane. Max moves is the best way to go for every character. There's nothing better to spend trains on.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:50 pm 
Mortal

Wow, this topic exploded while I was trying to reply to patrisaurus' arrogant reply in a way which could not be construed as a flame.

Of course not training one out of several options is a question of diversity. Sometimes good ideas are only so in the eye of the beholder, like not being able to report your own murders upon resurrection. It's interesting to consider under what circumstances a subjective quality like better or worse could be rendered as a factual outcome in a choice of options.

For the sake of the concept, I believe an asthmatic character build would not only warrant not training moves but also intentionally having a low constitution. Check out help constitution.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:59 pm 
Mortal

Using attribute points to train moves is a QoL decision, in my opinion. It will make traveling and leveling a bit easier - especially for melee characters. It is only moderately useful at GM, since the increased PE regeneration doesn't work in combat and the actual increase to the PE pool is not that significant (about a 1% difference in the cost of bash for example).

You won't gimp your character no matter what decision you make. It will be a QoL improvement, though, and might make your game play more fun as a result.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:31 am 
Mortal

Changing % is not a good way to determine value.

I only ever trained moves on my mercenary, but it was a fantastic decision. I don't know what your problem really is though. It doesn't seem like you should be running out of movement points at the rate you are. There's a lot of factors into how you regenerate pe, your overall constitution score, your endurance skill, so on and so forth.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:52 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Caric
Wait did we check they where not hungry and thirsty ... It has a significant effect on your hp me and pe regen rates.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:03 pm 

Okay so maybe i should clarify a bit on this discussion. I am currently the last level of master in status. Max con str and dex. A couple of trains in hp and one into move thus far. Using my epees i range between 4 and 7 attacks in aggressive stance and im burning through pe so fast i am more of an encumberance to train beside than i am helpful. The question was more so should training my pe be a good idea or not.... But what i have grasped is it wont help alot at gm and that is what worries me most. I want my character to be competetive when it matters most.

Thanks
Ziggy