Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Stacking for newbies (or idiots)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:56 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Amorette
Hello,

I've been playing a sorcerer for a few months and I've come to the glaring realization that I do not understand stacking in the slightest. I've scoured the help files and I still feel like a moron. It ignores the slightest enchantment? I don't get it.

Please explain it to me like I'm a child or a new person playing the game. I really, really can't wrap my head around it. I'm too used to the old system and I've never really played other MUDs/games than SK.

Post subject: Re: Stacking for newbies (or idiots)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:56 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Amorette
I almost made a new account to ask the question, but I'll just lay my permanoob out on the table.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:22 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Karsh
Okay, here's as simple an explanation as I can manage for enchantment stacking.

Innate enchantments (enchantments that come from an item at build-level) stack with each other and with the largest enhancement enchantment (one added at a character level.)

So, if you had 3 pieces of gear with innate +2 to willpower, you would have +6 willpower. If you enchanted a fourth piece of gear with +2 willpower, you would have +8 willpower. If you enchanted a fifth piece of gear with +2 willpower, you would still only have +8 willpower because only one enhancement enchantment applies at a time.

Does that help?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:10 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Caric
I can see where Ladyjennbo might be getting confused with the slight and moderate, in the examples given in the help file because the slights are innate. The two important distinction is Innate (on the item to start with) and enhance (added by a player). Ill give you something very similar to OA said with it set out a little differently it might help more or less.

It may help if you consider enchanting in two different groups. First consider an items innate enchantment. Innate enchantments will add together as you think.
Example 1) You have a ring with +1 innate will power and you have a bracelet of +1 will power you have +2 will power.
Example 2) You have a ring with +5 innate willpower, you have a bracelet with +5 will power so you have +10 will power and you use a second a ring with with +1 innate will power you have 11 will power.

The second group is enhance enchantment, those added by enchantments/consecrate. These enhance enchantments come from players only. These do not add together (but do with innate). So to find out your enhanced enchantment bonus you work out what the biggest of that type of enchantment you have.
Example 1) You have enchanted one ring to +1 will power and other to +1 will power you have a total of +1 will power.
Example 2) You have enchanted one ring to +5 will power one bracelet to +3 will power one ring to +2 will power, you effectively have +5 will power from this.

So once you have the total Innate and the largest enhance enchantment you then add those together. Combining the examples above.
Example 1) You have +2 innate and + 1 enhance for +3 will power.
Example 2) You have +11 innate and +5 enhance for +16 final bonus.

Keep in mind this is for ability and save mods only. AP MP and MR work differently if you need more explanation on those let me know.

Rule of thumb enchanting. Innate enchantments are good get as many as you can before you start enchanting. Thing enchant only a single enchantment type on each item and push it as high as you can.
You can always ask me in game as well but it seems my attempts to help you there didnt quite work but I think if you still dont understand from my own or OAs examples you might need to actually have a conversation in regards to how they work so you can speak up about the bit that confuses you.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:34 pm 
Mortal

The above examples all fail to do what OP asks for.

Think of innate and augment bonuses as blocks. You can stack one on top of the other and the structure gets bigger.

Think of enhancement bonuses as buckets. If you try to stack them they just collapse until you're still left with only the biggest one.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:36 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Caric
Grep you missed the bucket on top of the boxes example grep.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:40 pm 
Mortal

Cordance wrote:
Grep you missed the bucket on top of the boxes example grep.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:11 am 
Mortal

If it says in are it stacks with all other enchants/consecrates of it's kind. If it says enhancement only the HIGHEST enhancement of its kind stacks with all the other innates.

Example:

You have 3x +4 innates. They stack. That makes 12.
You have 2 enhancements one is a +2 one is a +4. Only the plus 4 stacks with your in ages. The +2 is ignored. So you have a total of +16.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:04 pm 
Mortal

The part I never understood is how peak attributes are affected by this when it comes to spells like haste.

That one really has me completely lost.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:11 pm 
Mortal

So, let's say you are playing a halfling with a max dex of 22 and you eat a haste herb that gives you +3 max peak dex for a maximum dex of 25. Now, with the stat points you allocated, you raised your natural dex to 20. You have equipment that gives you dex. Lets say two different pieces of equipment with innate dex bonus of +3, for a total of +6 on the char. Without haste, the maximum benefit you can get is raising the dex to your racial max of 22, wasting +4 of the total possible dex bonus. With that haste herb though, you max dex is now 25, in which the equipment can now raise the dex from 20 to 25. Wasting only +1 of the dex, now.