VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Background
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:59 pm 
Mortal

Dulrik wrote:
:roll:

No, not a wiki. A journal command in game with contents only visible to the character and admins.

This be what I speak of. I realized after the first thought that I hadn't clarified that, but yes. :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:16 pm 
Implementor

grep wrote:
OP didn't suggest it was only readable by self and admins

amandagreathouse wrote:
I meant less for other characters and more for the staff

Anyway, great question Amanda. It is something we have been thinking about doing, but it hasn't quite hit the top of the list yet. More requests or favorable replies will help the idea get more traction.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:19 am 
Mortal

Dulrik wrote:
grep wrote:

amandagreathouse wrote:

Anyway, great question Amanda. It is something we have been thinking about doing, but it hasn't quite hit the top of the list yet. More requests or favorable replies will help the idea get more traction.

I refuse to chase your carrot like a mindless donkey. Nice try.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:49 pm 
Mortal

I hope it does gain traction. I've always loved the ability to do that in all the rpis I've played, and I figured since there was a similar command in the other rpe I played (the now defunct Whispers of Times Lost), that there might be one here. >.<

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:51 pm 
Mortal

Dulrik wrote:
grep wrote:

amandagreathouse wrote:

Woops. I missed that post of hers. This round is yours, D. My bad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:43 pm 
Mortal

While this idea sounds cool and all, the things I've learned about writing and talking about other people about writing, these backgrounds are the gateway to poor writing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:15 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Arkex, Chronis, Azoreth, Kyln
I'm confused as to why this needs to be a thing. To justify your actions to the Imms? How often to imms question someones actions? (aside from cursing jreid's swash for killing priests in tlaxcala. lulz)
I feel as though most actions are justified or are simply accepted.
If something like this was to be implemented, I think it would be cool to see a shop where you could buy a personal journal. Everything you've already written in the past would 'auto fill' the pages. You could then add to this book. If someone were to pk you, they could read the journal. They could potentially learn of new developing secrets or you could spend some time learning their back story. Someone could give their journal to someone if they wanted to learn about them. (thought that would take away from the RP that explains a backstory. It could still provide more depth than what is said in person.)
Things to consider:
Should the journal crumble after a time to protect secrets?
Could we 'rip' out pages to edit it? (The 'umteenth' page seems to be ripped out)

I dunno. Pick apart my terrible idea.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:01 am 
Mortal

Trosis wrote:
I'm confused as to why this needs to be a thing. To justify your actions to the Imms?.

Not to justify your actions, no. But to show them the story you are trying to tell, to put your actions into the context of how you were born and raised. So that you have greater insight into why a character is the way they are, or really anything about them that you would want conveyed and recorded.

So... not justification, so much as context.

ninja_ardith wrote:
While this idea sounds cool and all, the things I've learned about writing and talking about other people about writing, these backgrounds are the gateway to poor writing.

I couldn't say that with any measure of confidence I believe that or have seen that. Multiple people from the last RPI I have played are actually published authors, one of them being Cat Rambo. Aside from that, I can't see how having the 'option' of inputting a paragraph or three of information to give context to the role you are playing for someone who might be curious on staff would make anyone -worse- at writing?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:44 am 
Mortal

While background would be cool, the other posters make a good point. All we need to know about your character we can learn from the HELP ROLEPLAY, HELP ALIGNMENT, and other relevant files, because that's how it's enforced.

It might be better to write about your character on a medium where, like Ardith is observing, feedback and quality can be a goal. Have you considered fanfiction.net?

... FYI, ninja_ardith is a published author, OP.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:28 pm 
Implementor

grep wrote:
While background would be cool, the other posters make a good point. All we need to know about your character we can learn from the HELP ROLEPLAY, HELP ALIGNMENT, and other relevant files, because that's how it's enforced.

That's only how you like to paint it. There are subtleties that are possible when you consider characterization in more than broad strokes.

As for uses for a journal, it could be published after the retirement of the character. It's not just about your background, it's possible to chronicle your character's entire story day by day.