Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Lame Nub Questions...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:23 pm 

1) Um, so I bought a key to a room at an inn. I went to the room, unlocked the door, opened the door, closed the door, locked it, and went to sleep (then "quit" shortly after). When I relogged and woke up, I lack the key (checked inv + cape container). I can't unlock/open the door.

I didn't see any messages about having anything stolen by thieves in the night (which iirc happens as an "anti exploit" or at least "balancing" mechanism to remove over-powerful gear from you if you are carrying something too high for your level?).

What am I supposed to do? :oops:

2) On a whim I decided to go ahead and ask the commandant of Kytar for the Pass to Menegroth, and indeed the legionnaire Mage ported me to Menegroth. However, I didn't quite think it through fully, and I guess I was supposed to wait to do that until I was "done" with the lowbie zone. I'd like to get back to Kytar but I'm not quite sure exactly where Kytar is in relation to Menegroth. Looking at the map, I'm guessing it's a bit NW of the city? Perhaps the % sign on the Google map? (I saw other % in places it looked like other start zones would be, but I'm not sure, maybe it's a ? on the map).

I'm level 5 atm and one of the main things I remember about this game back in the old days was that it was really dangerous to explore the wilderness at such low level/crap gear, especially solo. Can anyone give me some advice on what to do here? (well, what to do after I figure out how to escape from my inn prison cell, anyway :P )

Edit: Also, importantly, must I buy some pass to Kytar as well? I noticed the Yard boss guy sells a pass to Zenshi. Would I even be "let back in" to Kytar at this point?

Thanks... :oops:

Post subject: Re: Lame Nub Questions...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:53 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Rolf
The keys to the inn will disappear when you log out. It is called a "no-save" item. The key is limited, meaning that once you buy that key no one else can own the key to the same room. Of course, they may find other means of entering your inn suite. If you find yourself locked in such a place, try to "recall". At your level, you should be sent back to Kytar.

You are correct that Kytar is more-or-less Northwest of Menegroth. Stay on the road and you should be ok 90% of the time.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:12 pm 

Hurdurr. Totally forgot about recall.

Thanks alot for the timely response :D Much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:17 pm 
Mortal

Map of Pyrathia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:42 pm 
Mortal

Opey wrote:
Stay on the road and you should be ok 90% of the time.

Except in the Empire anyway. Alligators, the osquip, Imperial roads are more dangerous than most for lowbies. Aside from the North anyways.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:17 am 

FinneyOwnzU wrote:

I had pored over this (and all others I could find, such as on "other sites") before submitting OP, but for some reason on my other computer, the Legend link did not appear as a link (I wasn't sure what it was supposed to do). Thus I was scratching my head trying to figure out/extrapolate what the different symbols meant (and hence my question). That said, as I was about to post something along the lines of "yes, I read that map", I noticed the Legend was in fact a link to an actual, surprise, legend. So, thanks for your post leading me to this useful discovery 8)

Edit: And, since I'm really tired, it took me this much longer to realize that obviously the legend is the same as the ingame terrain :roll: I knew all those symbols looked familiar/rang a bell but I failed to connect the dots. Thanks twice :P

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:29 pm 

Well, I figure I might as well just necro my own thread instead of making a new one.

I have a new question: Is there anywhere that old archives from this forums have been saved?

As far as I can tell/assume/remember, these official forums have retained the same URL/phpBB identity (?) for, like, ever, right? Obviously truly ancient threads/content have been removed, but I'm wondering if any of the antediluvian past still exists in any official capacity?

It looks like other than certain threads which would naturally be archived (such as updates etc, which I see go back as far as '02), there's not much extraneous/non-technical/non-useful stuff from earlier than, eh, '07-ish maybe (Afterlife thread for instance was pared to that point, I read)?

I'm curious because for the last few years I would get an urge/tickle to "try out" SK again and/or lurk the forums a bit. However I never made it past "initial registration phase" due to a desire to see if my old forums account still existed somehow; the couple times I tried, I had no luck, but I couldn't tell if this was because such ancient things were long-ago deleted, or if these forums are actually not the same as the old ones (and perhaps only useful things were merged over). At any rate I had no clue what my original email address used was, and after browsing some threads, the impetus was always quickly lost and I "moved on" before I ever made it to the point of playing the game again.

Now I have (although not much, and usually just kind of "AFK-ishly spamming newbie training kills--I haven't exactly been actively searching for IC interaction or exploration yet), and I've had some warm fuzzy nerd nostalgia from stumbling upon some fun threads such as the "Where are they now?".

Despite this eye-rolling-ly lengthy post, I don't really care very much about this, I swear :D I'm just curious for the sake of nostalgia, mainly.

I'm not sure I could even give a general timeframe for when I'm referring to, but after reading the "where are they now" thread I'm guessing this would have been late '90s - early 00s (maybe even mid-late '90s, it's all a bit of a blur now eh, and I was a little kid back then). If I stop being lazy I'll get up the gumption to bug my cousin(s) and old SK inductee/mentor/awesome guy Salamandarin ( :o ) to offer some details if they still remember.

I notice most old players still hang around, or at least did up until the last year or 2, and a few names from my early days rang bells, as well as much-later days (several years down the road) when I wasn't even really playing the game but was being an active douchey troll on java's forums (I really had a chuckle-fit when I stumbled upon names like jarduck and mezcow and peso :D aw boy, you guys were great fun, sorry I was such an angsty tryhard back then!). One name that I remember from my early days on the (official) forums, but who I don't see listed now (and couldn't find via forum user search whenever I tried the last several times in past couple years) was Elric IV ? Or something like that? Perhaps this might give a clue as to when I'm referring to.

Anyway, I'm guessing old profiles such as this (and mine, which I believe was "ethereal paper" or something like that) have long been deleted, but if not, could I still access/re-active it?

Other than nostalgia of reading other people's posts and stuff from "back then", I'm also rather curious to read my own posts and see how big of an idiot I was back then :D So that's basically my main motivation for this.

-----------------------------------

Finally, on an almost-entirely-unrelated note, I have to say that it's unfortunate the IMM staff seems to be lacking a vital role; namely, that of a "less serious" deity of goofiness/drunken-ness/comedy/fun such as the much-beloved Yopparai of yore. What's up with that :P This game seems pretty super-cereal these days, as far as I've gathered from the admittedly-flawed technique of reading forums posts. Is this a faulty assumption, or would there be some truth to such an observation?

--------------------------

If you read all that, thanks a lot :D Sorry for such a ridiculous post.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:22 pm 
Mortal

Quote:
Finally, on an almost-entirely-unrelated note, I have to say that it's unfortunate the IMM staff seems to be lacking a vital role; namely, that of a "less serious" deity of goofiness/drunken-ness/comedy/fun such as the much-beloved Yopparai of yore.

My first ever imm-inteaction in SK was an imm giving me a shot of vodka while I was lvling 1-2 years ago, so that role is still there, even if not held by a specific imm.

My second imm interaction was one where someone was asking a deity to wear a maid outfit.

There's plenty of imm lol-moments, rest assured :p

As for the rest of the post, I'm not qualified to answer!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:07 pm 
Implementor

Regarding forum history, we have had the same forum system for at least the last 10 years. We used to do some more serious pruning of old performance due to poor performance, but haven't done much lately. Some sections may have automatic pruning going on based on how long a thread has been inactive, but I think most auto pruning is turned off.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:01 am 

Ok, thanks for the response.

My question was moreso about if the pruned stuff still exists somewhere, rather than the pruning system itself.

I suppose the answer is no, unless private individuals did their own archiving elsewhere.

Thanks for the attention.