Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Quick theme reference
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:18 pm 

Is there any kind of quick reference for the world/theme I can use. I have an absolutely terrible memory, and am kinda shy of player interaction if I think Imight forget something or have to look it up mid game. Kinda slows things down.

EDIT: should note, I consider the site a long reference.

Last edited by Wishing_I_was_Batman on Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Quick theme reference
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:21 pm 
Mortal

The documentation is all available outside the game in entries that never go beyond one page or so. The major lore items are included. The internal links are bad; stick to using the ones on the left frame.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:23 pm 

Yes I saw that. Was just hoping for a cliff notes or such. Ah well. Thanks for the help :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:56 pm 
Mortal

I don't intend to be negative at all, but if you find that two or three paragraphs of text is something that needs to be cliff noted, you might be setting yourself up for eventual disappointment and boredom by playing a text-based roleplaying game: most helpfiles aren't any longer than most descriptions.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:03 pm 
Mortal

I ran into a problem like this myself. It's not that its a few paragraphs of text, it's in even where to start looking.

My suggestion is to assume a general fantasy world, read up on the things that are relevant to you (god, alignment, race) and be comfortable with that those say, and then just try to skim the helpfiles if there's something else that comes up. I also got used to the tell person ooc: is there a helpfile I can reference? and moving on from there.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:15 pm 
Mortal

The above is good advice. You could, and probably should, spend about half an hour just reading help files before you make a character you intend to play. Start with the top-most "HELP" command, then "HELP FAQ." Afterwards, if you still like what you see, proceed through all the topics in the help command in a methodical, web-spider fashion. Take notes. Search for phrases you find confusing -- they've probably already been discussed on the forums. E-mail staffers or post here about whatever is left over. It's like getting help in any other forum for any other topic: demonstrate that you have done the basic RTFM and "Is it plugged in?" work, and you'll probably find it both easier to find support and less likely that you'll need it.

SK will rarely, if ever, spoon feed you things in-character. It's best to find ways to cope with that before you get too invested in one.

We MUD players are probably further along the hubris spectrum than WoD larpers. Take that into account.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:55 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Caric
grep wrote:
The above is good advice. You could, and probably should, spend about half an hour just reading help files before you make a character you intend to play. Start with the top-most "HELP" command, then "HELP FAQ." Afterwards, if you still like what you see, proceed through all the topics in the help command in a methodical, web-spider fashion. Take notes. Search for phrases you find confusing -- they've probably already been discussed on the forums. E-mail staffers or post here about whatever is left over. It's like getting help in any other forum for any other topic: demonstrate that you have done the basic RTFM and "Is it plugged in?" work, and you'll probably find it both easier to find support and less likely that you'll need it.

SK will rarely, if ever, spoon feed you things in-character. It's best to find ways to cope with that before you get too invested in one.

We MUD players are probably further along the hubris spectrum than WoD larpers. Take that into account.

If this advise was given to me I would have quit playing SK before I started. The way I learnt was by doing and being a part of. If you interact with other players are low levels you will learn worlds of information. If you make a "wrong call" with the RP you have two choices either a suck it up as part of who your character is, or B learn from your mistake and discard your progress and reroll. However this is a very different mind set to Grep's instructions first approach. My advise as far as help files type help everything you see in halls of creation until you get bored. Then get into the world and see what happens. If you want the overview read the nations and race and write the names down so you can quick reference them in game with the help command. If your looking for commands you might not know about "command" is the command to bring up all the standard actions you can do.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:33 pm 

I see, thanks for the info everyone. To note I did spend a few hours reading over everything, took me a few days before I thought I'd be comfortable playing. The issue is mainly that all put together it is a lot of information and I have a hard time remembering it all. I primarily learn by doing as opposed to just reading things. As I go along I pick up more and more which I do remember.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:43 pm 
Mortal

Taking notes is essential to a successful MUD experience.

I use one of these whenever I seriously explore an area for the first time in any game, whether it's Shattered Kingdoms, minecraft, or The Long Dark.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:09 pm 
Implementor

Different strokes for different folks. You don't need a journal to play SK. But if that would make you feel more comfortable, go for it.