Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Joining a religion or faction
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:16 am 
Mortal

What is the best way to join a religion or faction without knowing a lot about the game world and what is appropriate RP?

Post subject: Re: Joining a religion or faction
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:09 am 
Immortal (Inactive)

The best way is to learn by doing. The more you try to have your character find information out about things that interest them by asking around in character, the more you find out about the religions/factions as well as how the people around the game roleplay. Don't hesitate to shoot an OOC tell to whoever you are RPing with if you're not sure about anything. Most people you encounter will be glad to explain.

There is also the 'pray' command to ask a question of immortals. While you shouldn't try to draw their IC attention, you can make an OOC pray and if anyone is around they will be willing to help you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:06 am 
Immortal

There are also books on the various religions in many of the libraries in the various kingdoms. Help god and then help <insert god name here> will help you get an idea of the various faiths. I admit some are more helpful than others. In fact, mine is kinda bland, something for me to fix. Also, talking with various people, you can often get an idea of someone's religion from their title.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:48 pm 
Mortal

Or just talking to anyone in general. It helps to be a little social. Smoochy can't help but be a beautiful wall-flower, but when it comes right down to it, Smoochy learns and experiences more when poking a new acquaintance in their sides asking which way to the nearest donuts shop...As for appropriate RP? Hmmmm. Smoochy likes to think RP is like that Nike Commercial. You JUST DO IT~♫

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:36 pm 
Immortal (Inactive)

That's pretty cynical advice from grep.

Here's what I recommend, somewhat belatedly: Just find chars IC and ask them about various religions, even religions to which they may not belong. Then if you find one which suits your char theme, either hunt down someone in the faith and make your desire known, put something in your title along the lines of "Seeking the Church of XXX", or pray ICly, declaring your devotion to XXX. Once you're invested in the faith, you may have some new friends, or at least some new people to RP with.

To avoid metagaming, stay IC and just play. Religions tend to be the most casual groups you can join, so I wouldn't worry too much about putting a giant crosshair on your forehead. Just roll with it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:13 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Caric
Religions and factions should probably have a small foot note warning on them to newbies. Regarding it is a lot less likely kid gloves will be used if you directly stand opposed to another play which by joining a faction will will undoubtedly do. As greps other question regarding what is a newbie once someone joins a faction of influence you really can not treat them as such. I know when ever I hold a leadership position I take a little time to remind people of this when they join my faction.
Nashira wrote:
To avoid metagaming, stay IC and just play. Religions tend to be the most casual groups you can join, so I wouldn't worry too much about putting a giant crosshair on your forehead. Just roll with it.

While this is true for most grey religion, it is less true for light religions then even less true again for dark religions.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:56 pm 
Mortal

I think you're exaggerating the danger of religions. No one says you have to wear the symbol or bring up your religion in conversation. Personally, the number of times I've been killed for my religion alone is zero.

Now if you're going to travel to the Empire and talk about how much better Alshain is than Algorab, then I'd predict heavy-duty conflict. But it wasn't being a follower of Alshain that made that happen.

Factions definitely will involve you in PK, but they're also a lot of fun. Realistically, you can't get the most out of SK if you're unwilling to go through character-death once in a while.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:15 pm 
Mortal

Well, grep's response is part of my question: I don't know how to find out more about religions/factions without painting a big NEWB sign on my head and making it difficult to join said religions/factions. :-?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:38 pm 
Mortal

cheesekk wrote:
Well, grep's response is part of my question: I don't know how to find out more about religions/factions without painting a big NEWB sign on my head and making it difficult to join said religions/factions. :-?

Then why not just paint the newb sign? Dive in... and see where the rabbit hole leads~♫

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:54 pm 
Mortal

Asking IC about religion is the right course. You don't have to worry about blowing your chance. Even if you put your foot in your mouth, that won't prevent you from being accepted once you've confirmed a religion is a good fit.

Factions are more challenging to join, but asking some casual questions of passerby isn't going to be taken as an entrance application. I would just hold off on asking for membership until you've developed an IC relationship with the characters involved.