Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Newbie Helpers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:33 pm 
Mortal

I've always gone out of my way to help people with the new to pyrathia title, whether they are just old players using a different email or not. And I know Paragons are like the thing people needing help or looking for good RP aim for, but what about players from other muds coming over, where a newbie helper flag is a common place thing. Think it'd help to incorporate something like this?

Post subject: Re: Newbie Helpers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:53 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Arkex, Chronis, Azoreth, Kyln
Are you talking about adding another question to the halls of creation?
"Have you played other MUDs in the past? Y/N?"

Make it "New to Pyrathia*"?
So that we know they have some knowledge in regards to mud commands and such?

I can buy that.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:39 am 
Mortal

I think he means people who have played SK long enough to be able to help other new players (and who want to help new players) getting a flag to flag them as approachable for help.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:40 am 
Mortal

He is talking about something like a Helper, as it is known on one mud, or a Guide on another. People who field questions on a newbie or prayer channel to help new people to the game. As it is, I think there there are more than enough tags, and channels for that matter, on the prefix of a player without adding more. I do think that if someone is interested in doing this sort of work, to use their title command to this benefit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:12 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Gailehn, Stephanov
Yeah. Mentor is OK but if there's a regular player about who is on a new character, they won't get the mentor call.

Here are some thoughts:
Helper flag (can toggle this on and off, similar to mentor)
auto helper (toggle the help flag on the who list on and off) <-- that way people who don't want to see it, don't have to see it - on for newly created characters.

If someone calls for a mentor, any mentor or helper would see it. Helpers can not teach skills and do not get the benefit of loyalty tokens.
This keeps things like favoritism from happening that would affect a player. This also encourages helpers to level up to mentor so they can teach.
Helpers don't need to be of any particular level. It's just a way for anyone who wants to be helping newbies to be more receptive to knowing they want help.

Perhaps there could be a means IC you'd have to go to 'become a helper.' Kind of like serving the education system in a way. Your character can sign up to leave a kingdom. Perhaps, your character could speak with a similar NPC in some office or some NPC at the entrance to the training school to sign up to be a helper. This makes it a bit more organic.

No additional commands for a helper, and nothing additional a newbie would have to do. (They'd still just be typing: mentor.)