Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: I can't get a confirmation email sent to my Gmail.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:57 am 
Mortal

Except that it is, evidently, a problem. This post proves that. What's more, if this post was made to bring the problem to light, you can bet there were others that had the same problem and just didn't bother to bring it up. Generally, when you get a complaint like this it is because the person actually wants to be participate in the service (in this case, play SK) but they want this thing to be fixed in order to enjoy the experience more. If you do not plan on coming back to SK, why complain? Just move on. But if you do plan on continuing your time at SK, improving the experience makes sense.

So, again, you can continue to deny that a problem exists, in which case the problem will continue, or you could eliminate the problem altogether. An alternative, which might be what you're going for, is to educate your population in order to get them to do the work that needs to be done to make the experience better.

You might be wondering why I seem so adamant about this. It is because I brought this very same issue up when the alert system was first implemented. I predicted this exact user response. I was ignored and told something similar, that any idiot can fix it on their own by setting their email up right. It was a bad idea to begin with. As usual, SK doubled down on a bad idea, defended it in the wake of negative consequences and still response the same way as they did in the beginning.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:30 am 
Mortal

yrangol wrote:
You might be wondering why I seem so adamant about this.

Tell me you maliciously spam-reported the alerts without telling me you maliciously spam-reported alerts. I have never seen a bank robber walk back into the bank with a Groucho Marx mask and the backpack of money he'd taken, but this is what I imagine it looks like.

This is a newbie forum for helping to answer questions, my guy. Even if the fresh blood supply is a little dry, we can still strive to keep our defecation to the appropriate facilities, can't we?

I believe transferring e-mails is solely on the administrator(s?) as a manual task. Context clue being what pops up with the email change command: You already confirmed your address. Email head-administrator@shatteredkingdoms.org to request a change.

I know the game may feel a bit twilight right now, but have you tried e-mailing Dulrik/Thuban or the head-administrator bucket (at emails via wizlist)? I can't imagine it would be such an overwhelming number of loyalties that need an e-mail change that it couldn't be a quick favor ask. Oddly glad I kept my trash 5,000 year old yahoo email for spam.

if you take that strange but benevolent fellow up on his offer earlier in the thread, you too could race for some of the best addresses still available on the internet to switch to, e.g. grandmas @stickybuns.com

and they said all the good domains were taken

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:51 pm 
Mortal

Jerinx, I'm fine with the accusation. It isn't true, though. I have not reported SK for spam to gmail. I will note that it always comes to my spam folder, though. You all probably understand this stuff a lot better than I do, but the fact that gmail automatically thought it was spam is notable.

It is also possible that my tone has been pretty mean. I'm sorry for that. I do so often feel like a Cassandra when it comes to SK... That is frustrating.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:51 am 

I set up my email to automatically mark any email from SK as spam. Given my many many many inactive alts over a long period of time, we're probably looking at several thousand emails.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:36 pm 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
yrangol wrote:
I don't remember their name, actually. This was around 2002-03. Taslamar was attacking Menegroth. Most of the Empire players had just logged off. Taslamar enters Menegroth to attack. YIM signal goes out and Empire players log back on. Punishments were passed out. At least one character was deleted. I think others suffered punishment. I do not recall if anyone was banned but I do not believe anyone was.

Seriously, this was 19-20 YEARS ago. And a literal decade before I was an Imm. So, no, I don't "know." You want to split hairs about alerts being opt-out vs opt-in? Great; that's a valid debate about something else I had no part of doing. I am 100% used to being a scapegoat for this playerbase, so please do feel free to have at me because I'm the one here trying to communicate our efforts to fix a problem that's been brought to our attention. Pile on about everything that's ever happened to you regarding OOC communication since 1996.

:drunk:

But as it's been pointed out, you do actually solicit SK emails by verifying your email.

ANYWAY - I think we almost have this ironed out, regardless. Waiting on a step that demands access that I don't have.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:20 am 
Mortal

SK Character: That one guy who pk'd you.
I heart you Meissa.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:25 am 
Mortal

Meissa deserves a raise. <3

Also - just for clarification, we are squabbling over Spam, but really this is classified as graymail. I thought I'd throw that out there to be pedantic. Cheers!

:drunk:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:40 am 
Gold Donor

Meissa wrote:
I am 100% used to being a scapegoat for this playerbase, so please do feel free to have at me because I'm the one here trying to communicate our efforts to fix a problem that's been brought to our attention.

It is sad you have to do that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:16 am 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
I'm sad that I got frustrated and responded like that, honestly.

Still, a fix is in the works. I put in some time on it over the weekend even though I was on a family vacation and had seriously limited internet access: checked in on the situation whenever I got a bar of data. Had a half-hour Skype with D before I left.

We love you guys, too. Contrary to some opinions, we don't go out of our way to grief you or make things needlessly difficult.

Have we made missteps and changes you guys don't like? Yep, not here to dispute that. But I really liked the brief moment when I felt like we had moved past staff vs. players. Can we go back to that?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:44 am 
Gold Donor

I can not speak for everyone, but personally respect the work you, and others, do! Please, keep on creating!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next