Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:39 pm 
Mortal

He wasted my time :(

That's five minutes I'll never get back *cries*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:43 pm 
Mortal

I AM NOT A HE! I'll stay if you can help me.

Post subject: Re: Hi. I'm new, and I NEED HELP!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:45 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Sorel
You guys assumed several things that I don't think you should have assumed. I think her case was the reverse of most people's, in that she found the site first and is looking for SK as opposed to finding SK and then discovering the forums.

In case you're still around...
Nirvelli wrote:
I am so VERY confused. Question after question for me!
1. What is this "game thing" everybody is talking about?
2. What am I supposed to do here?
3. WHERE IS THE ROLEPLAYING?!
4. I'm so alone...

1. This is a MUD, an online text-based roleplaying game.
2. On the MUD, roleplay. The forums is just for discussion about the game (the mud is called Shattered Kingdoms)
3. Not here- connect to the MUD first and make a character. Read this to learn how to connect:
http://www.shatteredkingdoms.org/connect

Hope I got this out before you gave up completely.

edit: i'm refreshing this page every minute or so, so if you respond i can help pretty quickly. Go ahead and post any other questions.

edit: changed male references :P Sorry, but years of use have neutered the male pronoun to become the default.

Last edited by Adder on Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:46 pm 
Mortal

okay, THANK YOU!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:47 pm 
Mortal

Do you know what a MUD is, first? If you don't, you might want to ask, because it'll be damn confusing at first otherwise 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:50 pm 
Mortal

okay, I don't know what a MUD is, and another thing to say, I clicked that image to sign up or whatever, and well... a box came up, then dissapeared. What do I do now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:55 pm 
Mortal

To connect to the "game", you need a client. This is just a (very small) program that you can download, or just use your built in client on windows (which i'll assume you have) which is telnet.

For starters, just to get you hooked, try this:

Click the start button (i really hope you have windows) and then go to the "run" command (should be very close to the bottom). After it opens, there should be a space where it says "Open:" Copy and paste this into the box:

telnet 65.242.224.4 1996

And hit ok. This will connect you to the server directly through telnet. See if this works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:59 pm 
Mortal

well, i did, and it said connecting, then the box dissapeared after a few moments. was that supposed to happen?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:02 pm 
Mortal

As opposed to defining a MUD (which i'm a bit shifty on) i'll just tell you what SK is. Basically, this is an imaginary world that has been created and is run by several "immortals", who are builders of the world (and also police officers at times). You create a character (if you've ever played any RPG like D&D, Rifts, Deadlands, etc., this will sound very familiar) to play in this world. You "roleplay" this character in the world, interacting with other real people (who are also at a computer somewhere in the world, like you) and also Non Player Characters, who are there to help enhance the flavor of the world (shopkeepers, monsters, animals, etc., are all NPCs). You interact with the world through a series of commands that you type. At the bottom of your client, whatever it is, is a message box (like any chatroom, or instant message window). Type commands into it to "do" things.

Basics:
look - Gives you the description of the "room" you are in. A room is just an area of the MUD which can hold players, objects, NPCs, etc. You can only be in one "room" at a time.

To leave a room, enter a direction (for instance, if you type "northeast" without the quotes, it'll move you northeast if possible). Also, there are specialized exits that have names, for instance, door, portal, tree, entrance, vines, etc. Just type the name of the exit in to go that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:05 pm 
Mortal

Nirvelli wrote:
well, i did, and it said connecting, then the box dissapeared after a few moments. was that supposed to happen?

Err. No. There's probably somebody around who knows exactly why that happened, but since i can't know for sure, I'll just tell you an alternate way to log on.

There are other clients available besides telnet. The one I use, which is completely free and an extremely small download, is GMUD. It'll do to connect you to the game, at the very least.

http://www.candyland.compu-aid.net/gmud.zip

-When File Download window appears, click ok
-Save the file to your Desktop
-When the download is complete, double-click the GMud.zip icon
-Follow the steps to unzip the files
-When the files are unzipped, click on the GMud icon
-Click on the Edit menu, and then Worlds.
-Once inside the Worlds menu, click the "Add" button at the bottom. For the window that pops up, type in "Shattered Kingdoms". Then, it should appear on the left hand side in the list, and on the right there should be a bunch of empty fields to type stuff in.

Under host name, type mud.shatteredkingdoms.org
Under port, type 1996

You can leave the rest blank. Now, click exit after everything is filled out, then go to the File menu->Connect.

Note: if you don't have winzip (you probably do, but it's possible that you don't) then tell me, and i'll give you instructions on where to get that and how to unzip the file.