Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Should starvation/thirst eventually add fatique and eventual death?
Yes 31%  31%  [ 13 ]
No 36%  36%  [ 15 ]
Possibly, but I feel fatique isn't the appropriate maledictation. 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Your a dolt, how could you even suggest such a thing! We don't want bloody realism!! 24%  24%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 42
 Post subject: Starvation/thirst
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:51 pm 
Mortal

It seems to me that being hungry or thirsty for extended periods of time should have a slightly higher negative affect than just.. you don't regenerate as quickly. Would it be possible to add possible fatique affects and maybe even eventual death if you get stuck somewhere long enough without food or water? Seems to me it would add realism to the game.

Please feel free to post any ideas you have on this subject. Possible ideas or changes to the original idea, differing opinions.. I'm easy, whatevers clever.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:41 pm 
Mortal

Stupid realism. Shut up.

:rant:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:49 pm 
Mortal

Could add some more RP for some.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:50 pm 
Mortal

Not really. It would just make newbies die in (even more) annoying ways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:58 pm 
Mortal

Well like most things, perhaps have it subject to some level requirement. Although I try to occasionally make sure there is food around the newbie area to make it easier for the younger characters to not starve to death. I will also go into the newbie area and see if there is anything they might need or if they need some help in something. I am also receptive if they contact me as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:52 pm 
Mortal

Mot wrote:
Not really. It would just make newbies die in (even more) annoying ways.

As a note: Characters level 5 and below never suffer food/thirst penalties. :)

But yes, I think it is a great idea. I think it should be applied to characters 11 and up. (5-10 is still tough for some classes to get adaquate food and drink).

sleeper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:52 pm 
Mortal Contributor

I voted no, there are just to many reasons why this would be very bad for unintended reasons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:14 pm 
Mortal

Location: My heart's in <strike>Iraq</strike> Texas with my newly re-enlisted 'som' 'soq' daughter
SK Character: Galida Apelila Shaloush Mayumi
There shouldn't be much difficulty in setting up a system where you're warned for several ticks you're getting hungry/thirsty to a progressive degree. At the extreme point, reducing your hps by 2% of max each tick wouldn't have a major detrimental impact. If you're not fighting, it could take nearly 1 rl hour before you died of starvation/thirst. Plenty of time to go hungry during some RP and eat afterward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:57 pm 
Mortal

Yes, but ONLY, I REPEAT, ONLY if the time was like 10 times slower. I just HATE the way my character grows noticeably hungry and thirsty so quickly.

Anyway, water would be the important thing, not food. Dehydration would take its toll on you after the first day, but food could just annoy you a lot during the first week of abstenance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:10 pm 
Mortal

Ditto rad. And to needlessly elaborate:

[sarcastic straw man paragraph]However, what if your character lost weight? They could lose all that hard-earned, well-described muscle tone! You'd have to tamper all around with it or you'd take str, dex, and con penalties. And you know, it's proven people test better on a full stomach, so let's make it penalize int/wis too! And let's make it so you need 8 hours of sleep! Or 4, to be generous! And exercise. You can't be living a sedentary lifestyle, honey, it's just not good for you. Don't be a couch potato![/sarcastic straw man paragraph]

Anything this sims-like won't work in a standard timeframe mud because time passes way too fast and it would become annoying. I already have to eat and drink pretty frequently, which sometimes isn't viable. Food and water already [REDACTED] me off when I forget to get them and I end up pseudo-crippled as soon as I deplete my ME and can't regen it without dropping my spells. It's tolerable because I can just ignore it during RP much of the time, but I really don't want to have to scarf my weight in veal during a long conversation to avoid taking damage/being fatigued. Realism is not needed past a point.