Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Balance things
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:28 am 
Mortal

Thuban wrote:
Do you envision this basically returning the same information as though they were standing in the room and typed 'look'? Instead of invisible and hidden creatures potentially not being detected, should sneaking creatures not be detected? Would you really want to limit this to doors, gates, and area entrances, or do you think it would be a nice PvE boon to be able to use it to listen in areas of darkness to see if anything is in the adjacent room? It would be a great way to get around in the Wastelands faster, for instance, if the rogue could detect what is in the next room even if it's dark outside.
Actually, expanding the idea in all the ways you suggest sound great to me.
I was envisioning at minimum a count, with a full success being similar to a 'look'.
Thuban wrote:
divert - The rogue can divert an attacker targeting him or her to another viable target it the same formation. So, say the rogue were on the second rank and being hit by a blue Fytrysk. He or she could use divert to make the Fytrysk switch targets to anyone on the first or second rank. Sort of like a reverse rescue but, unlike rescue, it wouldn't change the formation. It would be more versatile than tumble, but, unlike tumble, it couldn't be used when prone.
If something like this was implemented, why not pair it with another skill.
harass - The rogue can draw the attention of an opponent to him or herself, if out of reach the opponent would redirect to the first rank in the column. (a taunt without secondary benefits)
This would allow a rogue to draw and redirect an opponents attention, allowing even a shaman to act as primary tank without needing to rescue.

Thuban wrote:
evade - The rogue has a chance to avoid damage altogether instead of taking half damage on a save vs. AoE spells and breath weapons if the rogue succeeds on the save then succeeds on an evade check. That would be useful against fireballs, gas breath, flame strikes, a certain cabal spell, etc. Gas breaths still seem to be among the biggest wreckers in PvE, so that could come in handy. It would offer some marginal benefit in PvP, though the AoE spells don't tend to be the most dangerous. The alternative is it could apply just to reflex saves, not specifically to AoE spells, which means some AoE spells would not be subject to evasion.
As much as this is a standard for rogues in many games, I would think the reflex bonus should be a general ability for most adventurer classes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:46 am 
Immortal

TacoRobot wrote:
It's really hard to weigh a rogue's PvP ability. Strictly speaking, on paper, without looking at factors beyond their skillset, they're actually pretty good. Backstab can and will one shot people, including adventurer classes. Circle stab can easily do 30-50%+ of a squishy's health. A backstab and couple circles can even kill warriors in the span of what, 3 rounds?

Just to be clear, backstab and circle stab do less damage than they used to prior to the enhanced damage reduction. Even still, sure, a buffed and prepared rogue can dish out large amounts of damage.

Quote:
Nevermind if somebody put a pet/guard/whatever behind them. People can also get stone skin fairly easy. Warlocks can brew it, there are wands and staves and scripts of it, and this basically neuters a Rogue's entire skillset unless they have one of the very few energy material w/ magic damage backstab weapons in the game. Then even if you do have one of those, you have to worry about if it's a type of magic damage your target is resistant to. And hope it's one of the 2-handed backstab weapons. Also hope your target isn't spamming 'c cause light self' once every 2 minutes or something similar to keep their pulse racing (maybe this was fixed while I was away?). Etc etc, and the issues from the other paragraph.

There are more rogue weapons that can bypass stone skin than there used to be, but there are still not a great deal of them. Some non-standard damage types are more potent than they used to be, too, with some of the changes that went in in the last year with regard to innate racial magic resistance.

Quote:
Basically, the stars have to align for a rogue to get to use their main 2 abilities (backstab, circlestab) to any real degree of effectiveness.

Perhaps there are too many sources of stone skin and mirror image.

Quote:
Divert would definitely be a good idea for them, IMO. Evade would be nice. Both would, IMO, be a great start to making a rogue more than just a liability in PvE. Don't have time to worry about rogue in your group dying when literally everyone else who is being hit by fireballs/breath/etc is probably more important.

I think divert has a lot of potential. It can even be used to set up bizarro formations with a rogue in the front rank diverting to other front rank characters, or second-rank characters against enemies with reach, allowing the rogue to use more of its skill set, or letting them go around with totally non-standard tactics like using a great sword in PvE just to do something different for no particularly good reason. It would also let rogues of more than just one cabal be far more useful in general. There are also interesting implications for mounted or mountable rogues. Basically, you could try things besides just spamming circle stabs for 30 minutes in PvE.

It also doesn't strike me as OP or potentially unbalancing, just something different and useful which could be unique to rogues. Some rogues may prefer to just keep spamming circle stabs, and that's fine, too.

Evade seems decent, just a little boring and vanilla. Kind of stereotypical rogue stuff. I agree it would help them in PvE and also wouldn't be unbalancing or OP.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:57 am 
Immortal

Avenel wrote:
Actually, expanding the idea in all the ways you suggest sound great to me.
I was envisioning at minimum a count, with a full success being similar to a 'look'.

How would you feel about this also being a racial skill for minotaurs? Minotaurs supposedly have sensitive hearing according to their help file. Would that be cool, or should it be unique to rogues?

Quote:
If something like this was implemented, why not pair it with another skill.
harass - The rogue can draw the attention of an opponent to him or herself, if out of reach the opponent would redirect to the first rank in the column. (a taunt without secondary benefits)
This would allow a rogue to draw and redirect an opponents attention, allowing even a shaman to act as primary tank without needing to rescue.

That would turn a rogue into a battlefield commander, which doesn't seem entirely like their style. They would be able to redirect foes from anyone to anyone with two commands, which seems over-the-top for what they are. I'd personally rather keep the two abilities separated and unique, so that swashbucklers and rogues each bring their own distinct formation tactics to the table. All that said, a rogue already could turn a shaman into a primary tank with just divert in many types of formations.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:41 am 
Mortal

Thuban wrote:
Quote:
Basically, the stars have to align for a rogue to get to use their main 2 abilities (backstab, circlestab) to any real degree of effectiveness.

There may be too many sources - I just don't think the main problem is availability, but rather how long the spells last? Mirror image on scrolls, staves and wands should maybe not last so long that you can sit around with it all the time. Perhaps make its duration the same as that of spirit aura, so that MI and SS is something you only use when you know it is needed? That would at least make surprise attacks somewhat more likely to be successful?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:54 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Gemyna Milmyra
I like the idea of WHERE for Rogues if it weren't quite so accurate of real time location. Since it's based on the rogue's street smarts to find out where a person is, perhaps a WHERE command would give a semi-random NPC report of who last saw that character pass by. For example, if the character had visited Jemm recently, a WHERE would report "Jemm reports seeing character X go south at 5pm on such and such day." It wouldn't give an exact location but definitely would give a trail that the rogue could start trailing the victim IF they know the location of the NPC who is reporting to them. Maybe it would be a charisma-based save as to whether a given NPC would report so that a higher charisma would be needed for city guards and the like while a lower charisma would only get townsfolk and merchants. Just a thought.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:32 am 
Mortal

Thuban wrote:

Possibly so. I think in this specific circumstance though, these two buffs just do too much to neuter the rogue class in particular. On top of their other weaknesses. Against any other class in the game, these spells are helpful buffs but not to this degree.

Counterplay is a good thing, but not so much when you can effectively make this one class relatively easy to ignore with one or two very easy steps.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:38 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Rolf
This "where" idea sounds oddly similar to an idea I pitched for the MC when they were lacking an ability. It was determined to be too OP then but now you want to give it to an entire class instead of just a cabal?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:00 am 
Mortal

None of these suggestions will fix rogues for either PvE or PK.

In PvE, you either heal, tank or do repeatable, sustained damage. Rogues do repeatable, sustained damage, but so do mercenaries and barbarians. However, those classes can also tank and they are better equipped to absorb more of the splash, incidental and AoE damage from encounters in end game zones. Obviously, rogues are not ever going to be able to heal or tank (light armor) so the focus should be on damage. In most games, the light armor melee classes do more damage than the heavy armor melee classes.

Not on SK, though.

TLDR: Rogues need to be able to do more repeatable, sustained damage than heavy armor melee classes or they will never have a spot in my group (unless I'm feeling sorry for Mayra or need a door picked).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:09 am 
Mortal

How about you make persuade work better and on pic's, put songs of sleep back the way it was, and give bards shield block to stop the squishy.

Part of the reason being a bard sucks is because of the damn lag time when you start and stop singing, oh and you can't order/ recite/ cast while doing your thing, can't quaff so you can't heal or word out. You are also the very first target in any skirmish. So, I would like those three things and I would quit ranting about bards sucking.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:34 am 
Implementor

Opey wrote:
This "where" idea sounds oddly similar to an idea I pitched for the MC when they were lacking an ability. It was determined to be too OP then but now you want to give it to an entire class instead of just a cabal?

I don't remember this particular conversation or the exact pitch that was made. But there are definitely abilities that I would consider fitting for a specific class that would be OP when applied to a faction, because then ANY class can get access to it and also ONLY that faction would have access to it.

As for this specific ability, I don't find 'where' to be at all thematic. Finding the theme first often helps you determine the outline and limits of an ability. I would define this as 'streetwise' and require the rogue to find an intelligent humanoid in a room in order to use it. Each use would involve a bribe. If you fail the skill check, that person doesn't have any info and you wouldn't be able to use it on them again for some amount of time.

If the check succeeds, then what you get depends on how far away the target really is. If you are not even in the same kingdom, then you would be told they are somewhere 'in Uxmal'. Then you can travel to Uxmal and use it again and get an area such as 'in Necropolis'. And finally once in the Necropolis, you might be told 'at a broken street'. Each use would involve needing to find someone to ask, paying a bribe and then making your skill check.

That's my thoughts on how it might work. I don't think this is too powerful because it takes some amount of time to zero in on a location. And you may not even want to bother with the in-area check if the person is moving around a lot. Being limited to rogues makes them a more valuable asset for a PK team, but you could also use it to find NPCs which might be required for a quest and wandering around.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next