Poll ended at Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:57 pm
Yes? 25%  25%  [ 9 ]
No? 75%  75%  [ 27 ]
Total votes : 36
 Post subject: POLYMORPH
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:57 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Walthur
No law should arrest a polymorphed criminal, how the **** do they know its you?
For example:
A small male sprite is here. (criminal)
c polymoprh giant huge
A small male sprite starts to concentrate.
A huge male giant is here.
look w
You see a local guard nearby west.
west
A huge male giant walks west.
A local guard says "Halt, lawbreaker!"
A local guard says "I will now carry out your sentence."

BS
TY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:06 am 
Mortal

First off, then if law NPCs can't see who you are, then neither should PCs when you gank them and they try to report you but can't. Sooooooo.....

1) c poly <thing> <adj>
2) Go to city
3) c pet <target>
4) couldn't be reported

Or

1) c poly <thing> <adj>
2) go to city
3) c charm <target>
4) order all remove all; order all drop all; get all; c tele <target>
5) couldn't be report

Or

1) c poly <thing> <adj>
2) go to city, preferably an Inn
3) wear demise; brand
4) go through corpses taking what you like
5) couldn't be reported

Or, for the necros out there...

1) get scrolls of poly
2) get an army of undead
3) recite <thing> <adj>
4) kill city
5) couldn't be reported

Or

............. The list goes on...

This would mean you a) have to rewrite the whole law system, and b) it would be abused as all holy hell.

Image to your poopy idea. And yes I am a GM sorc who would abuse the holy hell out of it.

Last edited by Fepel Veiled on Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:08 am 
Mortal

I'm sorry, but polymorph is fine. However 'realistic' it would be, further empowering it by immunity to law would make it overpowered, as it is also available to classes with the scrolls skill. Disabling its scribability would be unfair for non-sorcs who like polymorph (particularly, anymore, bards and their plays). And even if sorcerors were the only once able to use the spell, they would constantly remain polymorphed in order to avoid blame. One could argue that detect magic should be able to see polymorphs. But like the first statement, even though this might be more 'realistic,' it would take much of the fun and confusion out of the spell, since detect magic is so widely available. Over time, I've seen polymorph evolve from adjectiveless, to the ability to use adjectives, to the removal of sex indication from some non-sentient species. Certain overpowered races have also been disabled or otherwise tweaked. Our implementor fulfilling my every wish in regards to this magic (except having corrected the 'bug' of hooves being able to be had on non-ungulate races...nothing like seeing a drow stride around with unicorn shoes and hooves in her description to freak out lighties), the spell has grown into something even more fun now than ever it was.

I've played sorcs as my only main characters, and have had a GM one, so I know what I'm about on this: Leave Polymorph Alone

(leaves a 'no' vote)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:33 am 
Mortal

Polymorph is basically the same type of spell as a certain cabal spell which one can cast without being reported, how polymorph still allows you to be reported and the other one does is beyond me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:38 am 
Mortal

mageZorekin wrote:
Polymorph is basically the same type of spell as a certain cabal spell which one can cast without being reported, how polymorph still allows you to be reported and the other one does is beyond me.

Maybe sorcerors aren't good enough actors to fully pull it off in the eyes of an experienced lawman. Or maybe it's because almost every sorceror I see never bothers to change their description upon casting. Or maybe it's because certain tweaks of, ahem, 'realism' would unbalance the game, and it would take too long to recode so much to 'fix' so little. :wink:

I would rather see every possible effort poured into the fixing of CRS to the majority of players' satisfaction before anything else is done to the game, as it is quite obvious at this point that the system will never be removed.

Post subject: Poly poly
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:54 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Walthur
The immunization is a valid point .... as is the cabal spell point ..... anyone else got somethin to say?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:42 am 
Did you change your desc too when you polymorphed? The cabal spell that does the similar thing masks your desc and eq. Maybe those slick guards read your desc? :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:24 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Sorel
The cabal spell is far more powerful, since it masks name, eq, description, equipment, etc. etc. etc. It's pretty much a full disguise. Try greeting somebody while polymorphed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:26 am 
Mortal

Adder wrote:
The cabal spell is far more powerful, since it masks name, eq, description, equipment, etc. etc. etc. It's pretty much a full disguise. Try greeting somebody while polymorphed.

Dimmel greeted me while he had this cabal spell up, and I guess wasn't bright enough to realize that after he released this spell that I then knew his true form.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:50 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Sorel
mageZorekin wrote:
Adder wrote:

Dimmel greeted me while he had this cabal spell up, and I guess wasn't bright enough to realize that after he released this spell that I then knew his true form.

I don't think he cares.