Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Should warriors receive a weapons spec from aging.
Yes. They should receive a weapon spec. 72%  72%  [ 23 ]
No. They should not receive a weapon spec. 28%  28%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 32
 Post subject: Warrior Aging
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:14 am 
Mortal

This was brought up in another post but I believe it could use its own topic.

Problem: Warriors get the shaft with aging. They have lowered physical stats but nothing to show for their increased knowledge with weapons.

Solution: At the first age (read: 1/2 max age) provide warrior classes with an additional weapon spec. This would include Paladins and Hellions along with the adventuring classes (rogue, scout, and bard).

This would also give people an advantage to playing long-term characters.

Comments?

Edit: Noticed a major error.

Last edited by Summ97 on Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:38 am 
Mortal

Mercs, sure.

Everyone else.

No.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:48 am 
Mortal

Don’t get me wrong, I like the idea of warriors getting some kind of benefit for being the wily old warrior that isn’t as strong or fast but knows all the tricks, or some concept like that. Problem is giving weapon specializations away to all warrior classes (and adventuring classes) acts as a wimp to Mercs in two ways and over powers some of the classes that get the specialization. First, since specialization would no longer be unique to mercs, this acts as a minor wimp and reduces the flavor they currently have. Second, it is much less of a benefit to mers then it is to the other warrior classes…thereby it wimps the class indirectly by buffing other classes to a greater degree. Third, for a merc they would then have 3 weapon specializations where a swash would only have one, but would reap the benefits of finesse being tied with it. The barbarian also gets much more from a specialization because of how it will interact with fury.

As I said I like the idea of warrior/adventuring classes getting something (in fact I like all classes getting something) for sticking with a character. I believe this would promote greater rp because there would be more staple character like what Sark and Cyndre use to be. We still have some like Inidil, but the 4 month wonder is by far more common. So I would like to see something, just not this.

Lei Kung

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:55 am 
Mortal

Giving spec to classes other then mercs =! a good thing.

Warriors need something to go with age but spec is not one of them, maybe a increase in chance to parry dodge and shieldblock? Since they have had so much practice doing all of them that they have learned all the little tricks to doing them better and with less effort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:00 am 
Mortal

I like this idea, but I do not think that it should be at 3/4 and 7/8 marks. By these times, people are thoroughly set in their ways and have a favoured weapon, and so on. At the half way point, I do like the idea of them gaining a specialization, even another for mercs.

To compensate further for aging, rather than making everything static in losing/gaining stat points, make it a random, tiered process.

General example:

Warriors go their life fighting. Their constitution and strength are constantly being tested and used. Because of this, they shouldn't automatically suffer for keeping fit. Instead, at the halfway point in their life, rather than losing the physical stats, they have a 25% chance of losing a point for each stat affected. At 3/4 it increases to 50% and at 7/8 75%. But, due to so many hits in the head, their chances of mental increase have fallen considerable to 25% at 3/4 and 50% at 7/8.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:22 am 
Mortal

TheIceHellion wrote:
Since they have had so much practice doing all of them that they have learned all the little tricks to doing them better and with less effort.

Wait, so they've learned better ways to parry but they haven't learned a better way to use a single weapon? You're arguing against yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:42 am 
Mortal

Summ97 wrote:
TheIceHellion wrote:
Since they have had so much practice doing all of them that they have learned all the little tricks to doing them better and with less effort.

Wait, so they've learned better ways to parry but they haven't learned a better way to use a single weapon? You're arguing against yourself.

Does it make sense that they should know a weapon better? Yes
But it would be unballanced to give non merc classes spec. On a swashie they could be using two fast weapons like rapiers getting 5-6 attacks because of this or you give one to a barb who get spec in lets say Landskent then he has fury on top of that then they can haste wich is just crazy.

And no I'm not arguing against myself summer yes they know weapons better but not just one singular weapon they know a wide range of weapons and the tricks to using the full potental of each one to parry with/against to dodge and how to block it with the min amount of energy spent to do so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:43 am 
Mortal

Guess I'm one of the ones that keep bringing it up....

I'm not saying add "specialize <not learned>" to every old fighter/adventurer since it WOULD take some out of mercs, just as I wouldn't like to see ANYONE get "backstab <not learned>" other than a rogue.

Its more of a suggestion along the lines of specialize, something of an increase to parry/shield block without calling it specialize or limiting it to a weapon in particular...

(stupid name)
veteran fighting: due to warriors' long life and experience with arms, they are able to foresee attacks by those younger and less experienced than them, thus increasing the chances of blocking, parrying, or dodging such attacks.

what it does: compares age (hours maybe?) between fighters that acts like a stat of str/dex and adds it to the chances of parry/shield block/dodge/(other defense skill I'm forgetting). In case of two oldies fighting each other I suppose they are both well learned and either both get the bonus or it ends up being negated.

edit: p.s. quisi RP reason: the way I see it its that an older more 'seasoned' fighter would know what the little youngling is trying to do. Pretty much the young one is repeating the moves the weaponmaster showed him, while the older one has formulated some moves of his own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:03 pm 
Mortal

<sarcasm>
Code:
Champion - Being an old fart (not learned)

</sarcasm>

RP and old friends is more than enough of an incentive to play an old warrior type. People get older, slower, and weaker. Deal with it.

But if you *have* to add bonuses, have them be for non strength based or agility based skills. Example: Taunt, Retreat, and the like.

Or an aged based skill *per class*. Maybe we could give shamans/priests craft stave, sorcs/necros, craft wands. And various other ones for other peoples. Rogues - Hide in plain sight... stuff like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:30 pm 
Mortal

Sure, people get older and weaker, but you always see the sensei (sp?) like splinter in ninja turtles, the karate kid's teacher, as well as just about every other movie that has a 'teacher' involved, that he is old, gray haired, weaker, but he knows where to hit to make them stay down and none messes with them.

With age, have some sort of battle wisdom come. Fine, don't give warriors +5 str/dex/con, keep taking away the points, but give them some sort of fighting finnesse (sorry to overlap the name of swashi skill).

Or...

We could always just go for the second idea. Skills based on age, rogue get some sort of uber hide (as in hiding not in skin). Sorcs a glorified scribe/recharge, priests a better brew, swashi a more bitting taunt.

Eh, just rambling though, I guess I'm just starting to get bored and want a new skill to play and brag about :(