Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Who on SK, noob or not would like to see this implemented?
Poll ended at Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:57 am
Yes? 41%  41%  [ 9 ]
No? 59%  59%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 22
 Post subject: Life Savings
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:57 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Walthur
I think that your wealth kept in the bank should not be taken for criminal actions. There are quite a few ways to be placed in legal trouble that are out of the characters control and to rob them of their life savings is a terrible way to punish them. I feel a few more days in jail or other means could be used to make punishments as harsh without taking someone for the worth they've accumulated. This post does not come from someone who this has happened to, it comes from someone who is just starting to accumulate a small fortune and has realized how quickly it can be taken for actions that are not even his own. I'd like the builders to seriously consider this if they would because I think it would make SK better. I have been mudding here for at least five years so I have had time to evaluate this comment and it isn't coming from a nood. Regardless of what happens thank you all for listening.

Post subject: Life Savings
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 1:00 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Walthur
... coming from a "noob" that is ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 1:10 am 
Mortal

Yes, it sounds too harsh to me, too, cause then you just have to start ALL over, having nothing to begin with. At least your bank account would allow you to buy some store-bought stuff to begin with. Maybe it should just change so that there is an amount you get fined from your account for each kill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 1:58 am 
Mortal

Perhaps a minimum amount of cash should be left behind, but that's it. If you want to be a terrible, feared criminal committing atrocities, then why should the nations of the world not rip off your property for better purposes?

Somewhat irrelevant: Since you mentioned the "starting all over" problem; I was thinking of a personal character cache where we could store a handful of items. Only non-unique, unlimited items might be allowed. This would allow people to have "RP" items in there, or just emergency food and water and a few basic weapons, or books.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:27 am 
Immortal

SK Character: Achernar
PC CACHE = NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

Although I could see them leaving the last few platinum in the account. Although...really it isn't that hard for any character to get started again. You just have to get creative. Maybe just dont commit crimes in kingdoms that cause you to lose your cash. Never noticed it as any sort of problem in the game.

Post subject: Re: Life Savings
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:39 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Sorel
I'm going to vote to let it stay as it is. Taking cash from your account is one of the few real punishments there are in SK. Besides, money is easy to make.

My whole problem with treefinger's post is:
Mr.Treefinger wrote:
There are quite a few ways to be placed in legal trouble that are out of the characters control and to rob them of their life savings is a terrible way to punish them.

I don't see any way that you could be placed into legal trouble out of your character's control that would strip your bank account. Even if a tribunal member attacked you to outlaw you the crime would not be severe enough to take your money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 7:06 am 
Mortal

Achernar wrote:
PC CACHE = NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

Yes.. uhm.. you might want to explain why it shouldn't happen, but regardless I never said I -expect- it to happen. I'd gladly listen to your reasons against such a thing taking place though.

Just to emphasize this; I spoke only of non-unique, completely common and unlimited numbered, even non-magical items allowable only. And a very small number anyway. So no abuse in terms of hoarding anything that marginally resembles an "uber item", potions/herbs, wands/staves, artifacts and the like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 7:18 am 
Mortal

While we are talking about criminals. Criminals should get shackles or ball and chains, them iron ball things on their legs when confined. It should automaticly cast slow on the target, and is removed when freed. However when broke out of jail it remains and first must be uncursed to be removed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 8:08 am 
Mortal

Where's the justice in this? You leave the a "memento" to remember their sentence? Punishment should befit the crime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 8:17 am 
Mortal

This would be bad simply because it lowers the penalty for killing in civilized areas. The law acts as a deterrent against killing for trivial reasons - a good thing in an RP game.

If you have the knowledge and character strength to attempt PK, starting from scratch shouldn't be a problem; it just takes some time.