Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Who on SK, noob or not would like to see this implemented?
Poll ended at Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:57 am
Yes? 41%  41%  [ 9 ]
No? 59%  59%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 22
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:12 pm 
Implementor

own! wrote:
My argument is based on the simple economics of shattered kingdoms rather than some vague notion of fairness. When it comes down to it, if you deposit money in Menegroth and you're arrested by guards in Exile (who decide to confiscate all your money) there is no way they're going to be allowed to waltz into Menegroth and withdraw your funds, nor is it likely that there is a national Pyrathia conglomerate of banks (these are shattered kingdoms, remember), so that money-grubber Aztalyn can't simply dip his hand into your Imperial account from his cozy office in Exile.

Actually, I have posted on the forums a few times before on this very topic and my response will be the same this time. The suggestion isn't based on economic sense. The banks are not run by the individual kingdoms, but by a business entity that operates across kingdom borders. Since you have access to your money that you put in the bank from any bank chain in the world, then it makes equal sense that the money can be docked. Governments have the power to make laws that regulate businesses that operate inside their borders. In the real world, the government can seize money or garnish wages to force the payment of money owed. It's the same way in SK. If the bank were not to honor these requests, it would be breaking the laws of the kingdom it operates in and could itself be fined or driven out of the kingdom entirely.

While there could be a good argument made for making the whole banking system more complex and allowing kingdoms to use it as a pawn for "economic warfare", we aren't ready for that yet. Also making a system more complex sometimes just results in it not getting used anymore - which is what happened with the noteboards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:52 pm 
Two totally different issues. I think that having a unified banking system in shattered kingdoms is laughable and unthematic. But at the end of the day, you're the boss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:11 pm 
Mortal

I'm surprised this has yet to be mentioned. What about those unusal circumstances where I attack the same person in the same room at the same time and get 5 attempted murders. (Yes, for those of you unaware, this at least has happened if not continues to happen.) If something like this gets implemented, then the law system should be overhauled as well.

... Not that the law system already doesn't need an overhaul. (Assuming it hasn't already had one. I don't remember hearing/reading anything about it).

sleeper