Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: How to avoid PK, 95 percent guaranteed
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:14 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Karsh
grep wrote:
The result seems to be that avoiding PK is seen as a sub-standard method of gameplay.

This is absolutely true, because PK and RP do not exist in separate universes in the paradigm of SK.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:17 am 
Mortal

Right.

As said, does it say that on the tin? Can a true newbie really learn that if she doesn't participate in the forums?

Quote:
"Roleplay required.* Roleplay Rewarded."

* PVP often necessary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:24 am 
Immortal

SK Character: The Shining One
Quote:
Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:36 am 
Mortal

My point is the question, "What does that mean?" I thought tactics might be PVE when I first signed up. I won't derail this thread any further though; case rested.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:45 am 
Mortal

SK zMUD description wrote:
Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide! Massive, beautiful world; original areas; and overhead map. Roleplay required and rewarded. Tactical group PvP. Player-run cabals with raid system. Advanced economics. Newbie-friendly mentor system. Hundreds of quests. Free to play! Shattered Kingdoms is a roleplay-enforced MUD that successfully unites quality roleplay with the tactical considerations of challenging PK.

The Mud Connector SK description wrote:
Shattered Kingdoms is a roleplay-enforced MUD that successfully unites quality roleplay with the tactical considerations of challenging PK.

Top Mud Sites SK description wrote:
While killing other players is restricted only by roleplaying requirements, it is possible to play a non-violent character as well; experience can be gained through quests, roleplay rewards, bonuses for discovering new areas, and casting spells.

The description of Shattered Kingdoms on several sites leaves no doubt (at least in my mind) that tactics refers to PK.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:16 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Gailehn, Stephanov
Here's the thing -

If you can not (or will not) participate actively/shy away from PK, then your overall involvement with the game will be skewed at best. At the core of this game is conflict. Not all of it need be PK, but you should not take it personally or be even surprised when others may take action against your character for its beliefs/thoughts/words/actions physically.

This being said, my character is one of those who has spent a relative half lifetime or so at this point doing what he can to stay out of the public eye. The amount of realized influence one has in the game politically can not (and should not) be based solely on one's ability to role play/be their character/in the moment, but on their level of skill both in leadership/supervision(training/motivating/however you want to put that) and also they can physically defend their view/influence in combat.

If you are willing to accept that as a weaker character tactically/strategically you're not going to be a key leader and don't expect to make a lot of waves (especially to/while avoiding getting stomped on) then that is your prerogative. Nothing says you can't/shouldn't play the game this way.

I have found plenty of enjoyment adventuring, struggling to learn the combat system, and finding an interesting niche to observe, and simply finding amusement when someone bothers to be all bothered by my character. Occasionally, a character will come along that is so diametrically opposed to how my character thinks, things will light up (Hi, Hantera!) ... but ultimately that is really what has the potential of making the game fun. That which you do not allow to get to your personally can become the essence of what becomes fond memories in the history of a long played, deeply developed character. Am I 'missing' some of the game? Could I be 'better' at it? Certainly. But I think, as long as my character is not overstepping his bounds/my own abilities then I am at a very happy medium.

(I will note this is likely not the most common of perspectives, but it is how I have come to play a single character for well over a year now.)

Hope this helps you, Grep.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:11 pm 
Mortal

I'd color this slightly differently:

There is a distinction between being uninterested in PK, and in avoiding PK. This thread points out how limiting the latter is. Tolerating that your character will die occasionally, gives you many more opportunities for interesting roleplay.

Learning and playing the PK game further expands the character roles open to you, but that's a secondary point.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8