Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: How to avoid PK, 95 percent guaranteed
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:41 am 
Immortal (Inactive)

Another very-old post of mine I’m reposting. Seems like it needs re-posting every 18 months or so. I'm reposting it now specifically because I haven't heard much complaints lately about PK: I didn't want this post to seem like it was directed at someone in specific.

How to avoid PK, 95 percent guaranteed
*Don’t join any cabal, tribunal, religion, or player-group of any kind. Your group’s enemies are your enemies.

*Don’t hold onto any valuable equipment. People might want to take it from you.

*Don't become involved with or associated with other players who are PK-happy or PK-prone. You’re known by the company you keep. This includes priests who are known to resurrect certain characters; their enemies may come after them.

*Treat all characters politely: even newbies. Players have long memories for those they feel have maligned them.

*Don’t play light auras or dark auras, especially not elves, deep-elves, necromancers, paladins, hellions, or griffons. People will kill you based on your aura.

*Avoid adjectives that are common or distinctly associated with someone else. You may be mistaken for someone else.

*Avoid boastful or antagonizing titles. Avoid boastful or antagonizing actions. Also avoid stupid names or titles. People will kill you for a stupid name or a stupid title. Not fair or IC, but it happens.

*Avoid high-traffic areas like cities or leveling grounds. The more people are around, the more chance you’ll have of being randomly killed.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
As you can see, a person who followed these guidelines scrupulously would have a fairly marginalized character. I don’t really see how one could have a character of any consequence and follow all the above guidelines.

The point is, the more accomplished and connected your character, the more likely your character is to face PK. The decisions you make have consequences—fairly or unfairly. But, I’m willing to wager that 19 out of 20 PK situations have to do with a choice the PK-ed player has made.
Thus, if you don’t like PK, you may need to find a different character or a different play-style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:53 am 
Mortal

Bottom line is, as a new player, just learning the game, you have to make connections to learn the game, but those same connections can get you Pk'd. *shrug* That's how the game works as it stands right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:16 pm 

Or have a very boring character. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:59 pm 
Mortal

You get connections to learn the game, and those same connections get you enemies, which helps you learn PK. I fail to see the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:15 pm 
Mortal

Translating what werttrew said: the more you do, the more chance you will get PKed. Its the risk you take. Once you learn how to live with some of the BS that is involved with PK, you actually start having real fun.

sleeper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:20 pm 
Mortal

How to avoid PK %100: Don't play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:32 pm 
Mortal

My priest was pretty damn good at avoiding pk. Tanking pet in front + Word of Recall = escape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:07 pm 
Yeah, Fepel thought the same thing about his priest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:53 pm 
Mortal

It's a good original post, but the awareness of PK should be there. Invest a little time on preparations, and learn a few basic defenses to beat that remaining 5%.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:14 pm 
Mortal

own! wrote:
Yeah, Fepel thought the same thing about his priest.
Except mine actually worked.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next