Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

What do you think of this suggested change to enchant?
Like it, lets see it. 43%  43%  [ 29 ]
Neutral. 10%  10%  [ 7 ]
Do not like it. 37%  37%  [ 25 ]
Other, don't care, or just want to see results. 9%  9%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 67
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:22 pm 
Mortal

Well, hey, think how effective Uranium bombs would be if we only set half of them off, then saved them for later. We could put little recycling signs on all the bombs, and little ads to recycle all your used bombs. It would save tons and tons of Uranium.

Post subject: red fire alarm
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:01 am 
Mortal

I'm kind of dependant on equipment to give different stats, but I hate how most of what I've found so far looks. The best thing about the armor enchanting change would be that I could find things I like and make them useful. Maybe this seems silly, but I really hope this can happen. It would also be nice if a weapon's speed could be increased as well.
I've seen the suggestion too that enchanters or brewers or whatever be able to speak and emote while working. I find it really hard to ask someone to do something so boring if they can't do anything but watch themselves slowly casting. Both these changes would make something that's kind of painful now better for everyone I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:19 am 
Painful, what is painful about it? And there is a way to increase weapon speed. It's called haste. It is everybody's friend.

Weapons used to be dependant upon just your skill in them for damage and accuracy and your skill at second, third and fourth attack for weapon speed. If accuracy and speed stats for weapons did not exist everybody would just pick up the most damaging weapons and use those, instead of any other weapon subtype. And that's exactly what happened. People would go straight for level 50 weapons, while ignoring everything else because those weapons did the most damage. That and weapon damage in the old days was obscene.

Weapons are balanced out by their differing stats in those categories. And it's exactly that reason that I don't think there should be an enchantment that increases weapon speed. You do that and everybody is going to pick up a greataxe and enchant it that way. And then they are going to stack haste and specialize and fury on top of that to create something that is just wildly out of control.

I would, however, like to see an enchantment that would increase material durability. It may be a pipe dream and just as imbalancing as what I just pointed out, but it's an idea nonetheless.

I've always loved getting my stuff enchanted though.

Post subject: the moon is down
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:29 pm 
Mortal

Arsilan wrote:
Painful, what is painful about it?

I guess it just looks really tedious for the enchanter and I hate asking people to do something for me that isn't any fun for them. It's probably also because, at least so far, I've not been killed in a situation where better willpower or whatever would have saved me so it seems less urgent. Maybe my opinion will be different though once I do start having someone enchant my things.

I see what you mean about weapon speed and definitely agree a way to improve durability would be nice. It seems like it would just make using interesting but breakable items less irritating. There could be really amazing things though that are only balanced by their material, but since I think if each improvement to something's durability would take the place of some other enchantment it might be ok anyway.

Last edited by mamimi on Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:53 pm 
Mortal

I guess it just looks really tedious for the enchanter and I hate asking people to do something for me that isn't any fun for them.

Find other people. Some people love the challenge. Find Mel when she's bored. She spends hours and hours on a single piece of Equip. So does Ghent if it's for a friend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:32 pm 
Mortal

Even Achrid will do it, depending on how busy she is with other things. She doesn't mind enchanting at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:00 pm 
Mortal

Achernar wrote:
I agree with the way enchantment works now, allowing the addition of stats to armor would be imbalancing, but there are several ways of limiting the way this would work in order to keep it from being imbalancing. If giving a shaman so much ME he can rawkill anything is a side affect, perhaps voodoo should be given a maximum damage regardless of mana. If it will create 1000 HP animates, maybe animate needs fixed so the HP have a cap. Maybe you could only get the bonus of one items enchantments for a specific statistic or resistance. I simply don't understand why you would be a trained sorceror and not be able to at least have a chance of succeeding in the desired enchantment. Perhaps instead of a chance of explosion, add a chance that some negative modifier could be applied for a failure or overenchantment. The more you try to enchant an item, the more you end up trying to cover up the side affects of the magic, after a certain point. Any of these or other suggestions are interesting, and indeed add more flavor to the enchant spell, which is fine as is. I wouldn't mind seeing the trade for final strike to greater enchantment, and perhaps as a bonus spell to those cloth armor priests. Anyway, its all speculative, and I like what discussion I've seen.

A

Except now you're adding artificial caps to problem spells, and even in just light theory crafting already two have had to be named. Now you have to deal with changing said cap, and choosing when to alter it, and when to leave it alone when class balance has been shown to shift.

To put it simply, the best answer is usually the most elegant, which also happens to be the one with least amount of "unless" clauses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:57 pm 
Mortal

A simple answer disenchant. You can remove unwanted enchantments from things. Example Disenchant leggings magical resistance. Strips magical resistance from the leggings, risk of full fade.

By doing this it would reduce the need to re-re-re-enchant items. Say an item can hold three enchantments. You can enchant three times. Im not happy with X disenchant replace the one or two that you didnt want with new random enchantments. It will then take a bit less than three times as long as now if you want to get what you want. There is still risk and there is rewards for spending time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:32 pm 
Mortal

3?

3????

There are some things out there that can hold over 10 easily.

No no no no no.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:08 pm 
Mortal

Disenchant? If would remove specific spells, but enchant would add random ones?

I like it. So if your enchanting a breastplate that has 5 MP and you add two MR with a crit enchant. You can disenchant for MR and if successfull it would remove ALL MR. Then you could continue trying for more MP or whatever.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next