Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

What do you think of this suggested change to enchant?
Like it, lets see it. 43%  43%  [ 29 ]
Neutral. 10%  10%  [ 7 ]
Do not like it. 37%  37%  [ 25 ]
Other, don't care, or just want to see results. 9%  9%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 67
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:00 pm 
Mortal

I would go one step further, OVT, and say that the mana or time cost should be nearly equilivant to FS (making the value of imbue worth the mana cost in the long run). After all, putting such things into armors should not be an easy task. I would also go so far as to say that yes, damage should hit everyone in the room, but make it hit the sorc 3 times as much, just to cut back on sorcs taking items into empty rooms to imbue with minor damage to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:25 pm 
Mortal

Imbue sounds alright perhaps give it to cloth priests as well (it would add more to the choice of a cloth faith over heavy faith).
A good kicker to a spell to make it not used a lot in a row would be fatigue (or spirit disorientation) for 15 min. You can then keep casting it but your making yourself useless for a while afterwards. You could run and hide in a "safe" place and do it but you have to make the commitment to Im going to be enchanting for the next 20 to 30 minutes and if something happens there is stuff all I can do to help. Also limits the number of casts in a row to around 20 for most people (con limit).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:02 am 
I'm against all of these priest specific spells, for the first thing. They have a skill/spell set, it works wonderfully for any priest that wears any type of armor, so they do not actually need anything to balance them out.

Our jolly fat friar has shown many times that it isn't the type of armor that is worn that makes you lethal. He has outclassed even heavy armor priests many times.

I also do not like the idea of having a spell that is set at master that is essentially the same thing as enchant armor. I do, however, like the idea of creating your own items. And what I mean by that is taking an item and imbuing any specific stat into it. Now, I've already read the whining that it's going to create mass pandemonium, the sky is going to open up and rain destruction upon everybody, and there will be 40 years of darkness. But that's just not the case.

I've had many characters where I had to do the balancing act with stat mods and enchant armor, and it's not as easy as it sounds. Enchanting equipment with stat mods doesn't work out as well as it might sound because it's already a lot easier to destroy or get the "fade" effect. If someone wants to max out all of their stats, they can do that already. All they have to do is find enough stat mods to raise all their stats accordingly. This can already be done in game.

What I'd like to see for such a spell would be to pave the way for players to make their own equipment, so that imms can do other things. This could include such things as being able to buy fabric at a shop and then take it to the tailor and make a say, skirt with one's own words and color scheme. The same can be done with ores of metals at a forge. And then players can go through the trouble of enchanting and imbuing them as they see fit.

It might require that certain limitations be imposed, say you couldn't make a piece of equipment that gave more than 10 hp if you put hp on it. It's also something I don't see being implemented immediately, if at all. I'm also not scared of a necromancer getting a bunch of +hp equipment because their undead will always have the weakness to dispel magic, and holy word. Their natural predators, I mean enemies in the wild, paladins and lightie priests can still destroy them with ease. As well as shamans with voodoo, those of you who still think it's not a joke of a spell...well, you're special.

This takes the necessity off of imms to build equipment that is needed for classes like hellions. And we can always remember our friend, the junk command.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:55 am 
Mortal

I, for one, was in favor of the 40 years of darkness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:07 am 
Mortal

Location: My heart's in <strike>Iraq</strike> Texas with my newly re-enlisted 'som' 'soq' daughter
SK Character: Galida Apelila Shaloush Mayumi
If you're going to go with imbue, instead of exploding with color spray, explode with molten (object material). Molten adamantite>molten mithril>molten cloth in the damage done and duration. Similar to magma but the values are adjusted on a per material basis. Could have 7 or 8 different value sets into which everything would have to fit. And instead of a hard limit of 2, have varying hard limits of between 1 and 4 depending on each item starting quality and material. This moderate apparent randomness would supply the chance factor more readily. While the experts among us would be able to figure out the different limits in time, every new enchanter would need to learn them, thus maintaining the chance factor.

Oh, by the way, make the modified and renamed magma spray non-aggressive. We don't need 50 people attacking a sorceror for a failed imbue attempt and we don't necessarily need imbue to be a super-secretive spell that nobody is permitted to watch being cast.

Edit: All sorcs that have FS trained will automatically have their training transferred over to imbue and all FS trainers will switch to imbue trainers just to give current sorcs a break.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:22 am 
Mortal

Update to my idea + bump.

On sorcs. Remove final strike (t3h suck) Add imbue (mastered) Possibly add to cloth priests if that shift is taken.

help imbue

The ability to imbue specific attributes to create startling artifacts have been the dream of many arcane artists, and diviners alike. With this invocation you can imbue the attibutes typically done through rudimentary enchanting, but much more focused. Also you can imbue other characteristics such as strength of mind and body as well. The process alters the very fabric of the device, greatly improving it's quality, but also can have very violent and destructive side effects if too much energy is concentrated to both the object and the caster.

usage: cast imbue <target> protection/willpower/fortitude/reflex/resistance/strength/dexterity/constitution/wisdom/intelligence/charisma

This is a Master level spell. The target can be any worn item, weapon/armor/treasure/container/et cetera. The process requires a significant amount of mana. Read five times or more what current enchant armor is set to. The forcefulness of concentrating the magic causes the caster's pulse to race, and for them to experience fatigue as if they were coming down from being hastened at the level of the caster. Each casting raises the quality of the device to the next quality level. If cast upon a near-godlike quality device, read GM, there is a 50/50 chance of destruction. No fading. If an object is destroyed in this fashion, then the room is stuck with lightning damage equivalent to a GM casting of chain lightning. If this casting would reduce the caster's constitution to zero they die instantly, and the object is destroyed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:50 am 
Mortal

Heh, I didn't read the thread, just the first few posts, to realize this is a bad idea, and it will lprobably never happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:55 pm 
Mortal

Well, I am not sure I like imbue specifically, but I DO like the idea of sorcs enchanting better than, say, priests. It doesn't make sense to me that a priest of any faith will be just as good at a spell as a sorcerer, who is completely dedicated to the pursuit, study, and use of magic. (as I see them, anyway)

Now, if art actually affects enchanting, and if I am right in thinking that sorcs have a higher art cap than priests, then tell me to STFU, but as far as I know art does not affect enchanting.

Say, there's an idea. Allow art to determine the % likelihood of getting a specific enchant, whether it be just the existing options and you are better at obtaining your desired result because of art, or the new options that have been discussed.

Also, regarding final strike... it seems like a very cool spell, but I seriously doubt my char would EVER see his way clear to using it. He just isn't the sacrifice yourself type. ([tangent] I think it would be cool if casters who were killed in the midst of concentrating did room damage or chain lightning, as the magic they were summoning needs a place to go. [/tangent]) A spell I might actually use would be nice....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:34 pm 
Mortal

I'd like to see FS changed to that you can release it at different points, releasing a different amount of energy (and taking an equivalent amount of mana). That way, you can use it w/o completely killing yourself off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:59 pm 
Mortal

Rusin, then you do not fully understand the FS spell. It's like wanting to only setting off 1/2 of the uranium in an atomic bomb. You can't do it.

There is a tome out there with a fish on it, find it an read it.

Last edited by Fepel Veiled on Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next