Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

What do you think of this suggested change to enchant?
Like it, lets see it. 43%  43%  [ 29 ]
Neutral. 10%  10%  [ 7 ]
Do not like it. 37%  37%  [ 25 ]
Other, don't care, or just want to see results. 9%  9%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 67
 Post subject: IDEA: Enchant (change)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:25 pm 
Immortal

SK Character: Achernar
I had an idea for changing enchant armor. Right now the way these spells work is fairly random and unpredictable, but the cost of enchanting is not too high. As the help file reads now:
Quote:
Enchant armor imbues armor with powerful protective magics. It is not
nearly as reliable as enchant weapon, being far more prone to destructive
effects. Each succesful enchant also increases the quality of the armor
piece.

Enchant weapon magically enchants a weapon, increasing its to-hit and
to-damage bonuses by one or two points. Multiple enchants may be cast, but
as the weapon grows more and more powerful, it is more likely to be drained
or destroyed by the magic.

What I would like to see is a triple in cost as far as mana and time. Perhaps along with an increase in the status of the spell. In trade for this you get the ability to add any affect to an item that is available on that type of item currently. All the attributes, including PE, ME, and HP, as well as the enchantments which are placed on items randomly now. You could specify the type of enchantment you desired when casting.

Weapons could have an increase to hit, for damage, or for any attribute or magical property. You would only be able to increase one affect at any one time with weapons. Armor wouldn't be allowed to have enchantments to increase accuraccy or weapon damage, but would allow every other affect. Critical successes would simply increase the desired affect.

This basically allows someone to custom-make the enchantments on their armor and suit. This trade off makes enchant an IC day and a large chunk of mana. What you end up with is a suit with the enchantments you want with the same amount of input now. The time invested in echanting will be better spent and the reliance upon specific equipment will be less.

A

PS These ideas are solely my own, not anything intended by Dulrik or even sponsored by any of the IMM staff. Just an idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:29 pm 
I like it, but only because it'll become easier for me to make cheater suits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:31 pm 
Mortal

The idea removes enchanting as an important aspect of the game. It will severely cripple sorcs and increase the amount warriors can tank.

If you think casters are overpowered, this is a nice change. If you don't, then you probably think this is an awful idea.

I personally don't care - I'm a warrior.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:37 pm 
Mortal

While I hate spending time enchanting, this would make a 'perfect' suit far too easy to acquire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:38 pm 
Mortal

Bad idea IMO. Imagine adamantite suits of +10 MP each piece, and treasures of +10 HP. Even worse, a level 1 cloth armor suit enchanted to +10 mana each. I'd love to have that as my shaman.

I think enchant is fine as it is now. With little effort you get average enchants, with great effort you get great enchants. It's all part of how much you prepare for PvP/PvE situations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:42 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: Delear - Maridosen
Great idea IMO.
Enchanting can be trully frustrating, boring and time consuming as it stands now.
If such change is implemented, it will make all those classes with the ability to enchant much more fun to play and allow the average player to have a few more enchants without utterly broozing a sorc/priest to get them.

PS. The random-enchantment-effect struck me funny when I first played SK and never really got it's point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:43 pm 
Gilgon wrote:
The idea removes enchanting as an important aspect of the game. It will severely cripple sorcs and increase the amount warriors can tank.

If you think casters are overpowered, this is a nice change. If you don't, then you probably think this is an awful idea.

I personally don't care - I'm a warrior.

What? With my last character I was able to acquire a suit that had some extreme enchantments in all categories.

However, the post after yours by Dark-Avenger strikes me as ridiculously funny. It still doesn't change how people make extreme suits. If somebody wanted all MP, they'd go all MP. I'm pretty sure the difficulty in adding new enchantments would keep increasing as you added them.

+10 MP? Yeah, who cares, most stuff starts deflecting when you get +5 MP. Doesn't make any difference. This doesn't actually change how people will enchant stuff, just the way they will enchant. Also with added options like HP and ME it makes it tougher for someone to decide.

I am however, opposed to weapons gaining affects like MP and willpower. I'd rather see affects like an increase to durability (material) so that things don't break as often. Sort of like how magical vestments helps priests increase the power of their armor. And finally breaking away from D&D tradition the bonuses to hit and damage need split apart.

Last edited by Arsilan on Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:47 pm 
Immortal

SK Character: Achernar
This gives anyone the ability to have a suit enchanted to their tastes, newbie and twink alike. The tactical part would be in knowing which enchantments would be the best. How does it make warriors overpowered any more than any class? It simply makes your choice a tactical one. It makes that one suit with the perfect enchantments a thing of the past. With time, any suit could be enchanted to that end. Everyone would have the same access to those enchantments, and if limits needed to be put on how much magic items could hold, that could very well be tweaked.

A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:52 pm 
Mortal Philanthropist

I think this idea has some very good possiblities. I would add one thing to it. As a restriction. Depending on the type of eq, it would have a maximum of a certain kind of enchantment: neck slot items would have a different restriction on mp than would armor slots.

Just an idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:30 pm 
Mortal

13 pieces of +5-10 HP gear each? Sign me up! Thats like 750-1,300 extra HPs!!

Imagine a suit like that on a necromancer, uber animates.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next