Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

What do you think of this suggested change to enchant?
Like it, lets see it. 43%  43%  [ 29 ]
Neutral. 10%  10%  [ 7 ]
Do not like it. 37%  37%  [ 25 ]
Other, don't care, or just want to see results. 9%  9%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 67
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:40 pm 
Webadmin

SK Character: Viltrax
Konge wrote:
Quote:
A persistent enchanter with a pushy and persistent warrior is going to turn out a perfect suit anyway that no one else will have the patience for.

Exactly ... they should be rewarded for their efforts.

They are being rewarded for an *extended* time spent enchanting - the question being, how many players would have the time to do this? At present, any sorceror can spend at least a few minutes and have a go at enchanting and get a comparable result. Those that spend more time don't end up with results that are too disparate with those who have less time to enchant/fade/repeat.

Other ideas added to the mix -
Maybe if there was a greater chance to explode the item?
<aybe if it was a 'greater enchant' spell that was selectively chosen to be learned for either weapons or armor, but not both?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:47 pm 
Mortal

Quote:
<aybe if it was a 'greater enchant' spell that was selectively chosen to be learned for either weapons or armor, but not both?

Note that all the discussion in this thread has been focused on armor enchanting, everyone would "specialize" in armor enchanting if it was possible merely because the benefits are significantly higher mostly through the sheer number of slots but also through the many different enchants you can get on armor as opposed to weapons where you just have to get lucky number wise, whereas a high number of enchants on a piece of armor isn't necessarily good.

Quote:
Maybe if there was a greater chance to explode the item?

This would merely require even more time to get a good set, this does not lower the gap - But might even make it wider.

My 10 cents would be to just leave it as it is, a sorc/priest can easily and quickly make a decent set (No focus, just ~5 enchants on each piece) and if they so desire, they can spend more time and make a better set.

EDIT: Also, the 'solution' by making it explode more often isn't going to solve much, for example, when I try to go for "leet enchanting" I normally start with a piece which greatly modifies what I aim for - If it fades, I junk it and get it again. In my oppinion it is far less time consuming, and thus this leads the "blame" away from the enchant armor spell and to the players experience with equipment and where to find good base enchanting items.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:59 pm 
Mortal

On sorcs. Remove final strike (t3h suck) Add embue (mastered)

help embue

The ability to embue specific attributes to create startling artifacts have been the dream of many arcane artists. With this invocation you can embue the attibutes typically done through rudimentary enchanting, but much more focused. Also you can embue other characteristics such as strength of mind and body as well. The process alters the very fabric of the device, greatly improving it's quality, but also can have very violent and destructive side effects if too much magic is concentrated.

usage: cast embue <target> protection/willpower/fortitude/reflex/resistance/Hp/Me/Mov

The target can be any worn item, weapon/treasure/container/et cetera. The process requires a significant amount of mana. Read five times or more what current enchant armor is set to. The forcefulness of concentrating the magic causes the caster's pulse to race. Each cast raises the quality of the device to the next quality level. If cast upon a near-godlike quality device, read GM, there is a 50/50 chance of destruction. No fading.

Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:04 pm 
Mortal

First thought: Call it imbue instead of embue...

Second thought: Never, ever, allow me/hp/pe to be enchanted...

Third thought: It sounds fine (without the me/hp/pe possibility), if when it explodes it does damage akin to failed brew/scribe.

Fourth thought: I love the suggestion of taking out final strike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:12 pm 
It should work on stat mods rather than armor enchanting just so builders do not have to have the necessity to create such items.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:16 pm 
Mortal

Rather stats than hp/me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:27 pm 
Mortal

So MP/willpower/fort/reflex/resistance/strength/con/wis/int/dex/charisma?

Oh, and who can forget art! </sarcasm>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:28 pm 
Mortal Philanthropist

I think that mp should be more restricted on armor and make the base saves even better. If I were to do a poll about what you would put on armor I would bet mp would win easily followed up by willpower. Maybe willpower doesn't need a boost but reflex and Fortitude does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:30 pm 
Immortal

SK Character: Achernar
I agree with the way enchantment works now, allowing the addition of stats to armor would be imbalancing, but there are several ways of limiting the way this would work in order to keep it from being imbalancing. If giving a shaman so much ME he can rawkill anything is a side affect, perhaps voodoo should be given a maximum damage regardless of mana. If it will create 1000 HP animates, maybe animate needs fixed so the HP have a cap. Maybe you could only get the bonus of one items enchantments for a specific statistic or resistance. I simply don't understand why you would be a trained sorceror and not be able to at least have a chance of succeeding in the desired enchantment. Perhaps instead of a chance of explosion, add a chance that some negative modifier could be applied for a failure or overenchantment. The more you try to enchant an item, the more you end up trying to cover up the side affects of the magic, after a certain point. Any of these or other suggestions are interesting, and indeed add more flavor to the enchant spell, which is fine as is. I wouldn't mind seeing the trade for final strike to greater enchantment, and perhaps as a bonus spell to those cloth armor priests. Anyway, its all speculative, and I like what discussion I've seen.

A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:56 pm 
Mortal

Fepel Veiled wrote:
So MP/willpower/fort/reflex/resistance/strength/con/wis/int/dex/charisma?

I'd agree with this and fepels previous post. Take away final strike, give imbue, let imbue have limited usage. Like you can enchant a certain item so many times, but you can only imbue it two or three times. The imbueing would stack with enchantments.

So if you have a dagger that can be enchanted five times normally you could place five enchantments and two imbues without it exploding. On the sixth it would eigther fade/blow up as normal. If you went over the imbue limit it would garauntee an explosion, hitting everyone in the room with a color spray.

This would help out alot with stats. This would give newbies a break too! Instead of having to look high and low for stat mods, they could pay a sorc to do it. I know I've been trying to figure out the perfect stat mods for my dream suit with my char. This would make that a great deal easier.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next