Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

What do you think of this idea?
I love it 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
I like it with some changes 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
I hate it 79%  79%  [ 26 ]
I secretly like the idea, but don't want to tell Lucius...so I will say I hate it. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 33
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:13 am 
Mortal

FS is either premeditated mass murder, or a "ha ha! I made you lose your lewt" spell. It is not a final act of a desperate mage. With the casting time, but the time you got it off you either A) had a wall in front of you to soak the damage. B) Caught them with your pants down.

The spell is cool, yes, but I've only seen maybe 3 uses of it properly in the whole near 3 years I have been SKing.

And Wert if you take away my eth and poly, I'll find you and... and... and cry all over you until you drown in a river of emo tears of sadness. :rant:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:45 am 
Mortal

werttrew wrote:
Am I the only one that finds the idea of final strike really cool? The idea of the lone mage, in a final desparate move, eliminating all his enemies but at a great cost to himself? Man, that's a kernel for great rp there. Sure, only one out of ten sorcerers would ever use it. But it is there, a Hail Mary move, if one needs it. It's that terrible act that should only be used in the most urgent, move grave of situations.

The problem here Wert, is that the casting time requires some big fighters to guard the mage. That takes away the spirit of the spell description right there. For instance, my sorc will die to one bash and four landed blows from an average fighter, yet in the time it takes to cast FS I could be hit 15 times by my reckoning. If there are more than one enemy, my pet and I will be hit multiple times more and be dead in no time. So there is not a time that I would be "desperate and cornered" and be able to use the spell.

FS needs to be made instant for it to be a "last desperate act". Further, the mage needs to not be cursed for using it. Put the fear back in those that hunt mages. :devil:

For these reasons, I think the class needs a different High level spell.

Here is another idea: take the curse element away, but make FS only for Grand mastered Sorcs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:49 am 
Mortal

No. Sorcs are extremely powerful as is. You do NOT need another high level, more efficient spell. No and no.

FS was never meant as a greatly efficient, easy to use spell, at grandmaster or any other level.

If something is to replace it, it needs to be of equal low usability, or the consequence would be a ridiculous imbalance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:06 am 
Mortal

Alea wrote:
No. Sorcs are extremely powerful as is. You do NOT need another high level, more efficient spell. No and no.

FS was never meant as a greatly efficient, easy to use spell, at grandmaster or any other level.

If something is to replace it, it needs to be of equal low usability, or the consequence would be a ridiculous imbalance.

I disagree. So there. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:15 am 
Mortal Philanthropist

SK Character: Imolth
I agree that final strike cannot be the act of one desperate mage because who in his right mind would see a lone enemy caster starting to concentrate and not bash/trip him?
That makes the spell pretty much useless, on the other hand, some ideas where stated that the spell should be triggered upon the caster's death, something not wise to do either, since everyone will then avoid killing the sorcerer in fear of the consequences.
I think that the best choice would be a final strike not changed in any aspect but casting time reduced to insta cast (or make it that IF the sorcerer dies before managing to finish the spell it triggers anyway, but maybe not in full force)

[Edit: spelling]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:12 pm 
Mortal

Actually, There's nothing wrong with making it so that a sorc goes boom when he dies. Let's say you have to prime a fs. Which means for 3 rounds (equivalent to a bash, maybe), the sorc spends concentrating, and then becomes flagged fs, to be released on his death. If the sorc is stunned, flees, or through some grace of luck isn't killed (either by his opponents fleeing, or some strange divine intervention), then the priming goes away (when his pulse returns to normal). That, I think, would fix a lot of groaning about it. It'd also add a bit of tactics to the mix. Sure, you can stun the sorc, THEN kill him, or retreat, and wait until you think he won't go boom, and go back after him...It adds uncertainty to the spell. And uncertain death is far more cooler than certain death.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:47 pm 
Mortal

Goldlantern wrote:
Actually, There's nothing wrong with making it so that a sorc goes boom when he dies. Let's say you have to prime a fs. Which means for 3 rounds (equivalent to a bash, maybe), the sorc spends concentrating, and then becomes flagged fs, to be released on his death. If the sorc is stunned, flees, or through some grace of luck isn't killed (either by his opponents fleeing, or some strange divine intervention), then the priming goes away (when his pulse returns to normal). That, I think, would fix a lot of groaning about it. It'd also add a bit of tactics to the mix. Sure, you can stun the sorc, THEN kill him, or retreat, and wait until you think he won't go boom, and go back after him...It adds uncertainty to the spell. And uncertain death is far more cooler than certain death.

Sometimes you surprise me on good ideas dude. I love it- it gets the idea of the spell across, and adds excitement to the PK for others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:05 pm 
Mortal

I would like Final Strike to be a moderate cocnentration held spell that goes off on death, using the last of the sorcs available mana to deal damage to the room. Like a voodoo for a full room on death. That way if a sorc uses all his magic spam casting there is very little to no damage. If the sorc uses a mana battery or something and gets to full mana before death he blows up and does ALOT of damage. If the mage does die with 100% mana it is a final strike with the 100% dmg calculation plus whoever lands the death blows gets their corpse incinerated as happens to everyone nowaday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:31 pm 
One Valiant Truth wrote:
I would like Final Strike to be a moderate cocnentration held spell that goes off on death, using the last of the sorcs available mana to deal damage to the room. Like a voodoo for a full room on death. That way if a sorc uses all his magic spam casting there is very little to no damage. If the sorc uses a mana battery or something and gets to full mana before death he blows up and does ALOT of damage. If the mage does die with 100% mana it is a final strike with the 100% dmg calculation plus whoever lands the death blows gets their corpse incinerated as happens to everyone nowaday.

Could you come up with a less stupid and less abuseable idea? I can imagine the days of elite [REDACTED] talking sorcerers in the future and kamikaze pilot sorcerers that hold final strike and then engage in melee with people in the room just to die and vaporize the area.

Thank you for adding another useless idea. Final strike is fine as is. If you want a spell that is useless look no further than detect poison.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:27 am 
Mortal

Arsilan wrote:
Thank you for adding another useless idea. Final strike is fine as is.

Have you played a sorc that has landed one?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next