Total votes : 16
 Post subject: Rapid shot: A minor change
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:47 am 
Mortal

Code:
Those with the rapid shot skill have the ability to fire an extra missile
from a projectile weapon every round that they receive their full attacks. To
ensure that you get the most from this skill, be sure to always have extra
ammunition for your weapon in your inventory.

To ensure that scouts are not inferior to mercenaries in the ranged combat aspect, why not make it so that rapid shot -always- grant an extra shot? That would make it more like a specialization in all ranged weapon (excluding the accuracy) instead of just making the fast bows viable.

With most fast bows, it is highly likely that the merc would reach the fourth attack which he has naturally, while the scout gets his three + rapid. However, for slower and more damaging bows, the mercenary has an advantage. Because the scout does not receive his full three attacks, rapid shot will not proc, while the mercenary can reach the same number of attack without specialization, and even more than the scout with it...

A simple, minor change which would ensure the scouts dominance regarding ranged combat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:37 am 
Mortal

That will take out the tactical use of several bow subtypes and any scout will always use a certain subtype.

If scouts need a buff, this is not the answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:27 am 
Mortal

I'm not a wiz on the scout mechanics, but I am of the belief that most bows that will grant the scout third attack on a regular basis will also grant the mercenary the fourth attack. This renders mercenaries superior to the scouts in terms of ranged combat, which I do believe was never the intent.

There are melee weapon subtypes which are never used too, or some which have distinct purposes. This change would also encourage scouts to use crossbows more, something which is never seen nowadays...

Post subject: Re: Rapid shot: A minor change
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:50 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Sorel
Konge wrote:
To ensure that scouts are not inferior to mercenaries in the ranged combat aspect

I thought the whole point was that mercs are supposed to be better than scouts at ranged combat? Prove to me that scouts should be better at ranged combat and then I'll consider the idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:02 am 
Mortal

Konge wrote:
I'm not a wiz on the scout mechanics, but I am of the belief that most bows that will grant the scout third attack on a regular basis will also grant the mercenary the fourth attack. This renders mercenaries superior to the scouts in terms of ranged combat, which I do believe was never the intent.

There are melee weapon subtypes which are never used too, or some which have distinct purposes. This change would also encourage scouts to use crossbows more, something which is never seen nowadays...

Scouts don't need buffed when it comes to ranged combat. Mercenaries aren't superior to scouts in ranged combat because scouts get free unlimited ammo. That ensures that the scout will always outlast a mercenary in a bow fight (which isn't all that fun). With the reduction in the amount of adamantite in the game as well mercenaries really only have the same advantage as a scout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:05 am 
Mortal Philanthropist

SK Character: Imolth
scouts ARE the masters of wilderness, if there is anything that comes to mind when thinking about scouts are bows. they learn how to use one since they are novice and the merc is what Jman? the scout IS better with a bow and should be better than a merc.

Of course its been ages since I last played a scout but that is how I see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:22 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Pilnor, Surrit, Berr, Rall
A scout's purpose is to survive in the wilderness; A mercenary's purpose, however, is to kill things, plain and simple. The idea of a mercenary is much more killing-oriented than a scout, and although the scout is a master of the wilderness, the mercenary is a master of combat, so it makes sense that he'd be better at using bows.

Mercs aren't bumbling heavy-armor brainless killers, they're tactical, smart, and resourceful killers. When it comes to weapons, they don't have any weapon-specific moves(IE: Ambush, backstab) but they know how to use them to do the most damage.

If barbarians started using bows, though, now that would be a bit much. Mercenaries should be better at ranged combat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:38 am 
Mortal

I guess it boils down into whether mercenaries or scouts should be the superior ranged combatant. To me, it's always been obvious that it should be the scout but now I took the time to look through the help file and I can see that it doesn't unambigiously state that.

I just think that the massive utility scouts have in terms of ranged combat should go hand in hand with their actual combat ability. I can see that ambush tips the scales a little, but in my opinion, not enough to make scouts the masters of ranged combat they are to me.

Quote:
because scouts get free unlimited ammo

There are ways to get around it, but of course, it is nifty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:48 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Sorel
Scouts aren't "masters" of ranged combat. Are they good at killing people with bows? Yea. They'll still beat any other class in the game in ranged combat.

I doubt any scout grows up thinking, "I'm going to be the best archer in the world!" along with "oh yea, and I better pick up a bunch of herb lore, the abililty to track other people, how to talk to, calm and befriend random wilderness critters, butcher animals for meat, be able to skin their hides, etc. Clearly all those skills are going to help me be a better archer."

If you want to be a master archer, be a merc and spec in a bow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:52 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Galstan/Cyril/Ulrich/Elar
One word. Ambush.