Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Should final strike be replaced by a different spell?
Would you like final strike replaced by another spell? 47%  47%  [ 22 ]
Would you like final strike to remain in the game unchanged? 21%  21%  [ 10 ]
Would you like final strike to remain in the game with alterations to make it more useful? 15%  15%  [ 7 ]
Don't care 17%  17%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 47
 Post subject: Replacing Final strike with another spell
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:53 am 
Mortal

In my opinion the final strike spell is dumb. It doesn't fit with a game where cabals/tribunals/religions, and presumably characters are player run. This spell needs to be cast under fairly stringent conditions and you need an immortal to get you back to life in a satisfactory way.

I think that Final Strike should be replaced with another spell. You look at the other two caster classes; necromancers and warlocks, and they get way way more use out of their master level spells then any sorceror will ever get out of final strike. I can say with some certainly that even a big score final strike will still kill less people over the course of a sorcerors career then a warlock will kill with magma spray, and a necromancer will kill with finger of death.

The spell is all flash and no real substance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:41 pm 
Mortal

I'm not a fan of Final Strike because it discourages player-run events. I wish it could only be cast while wounded and in-combat, so we'd have more protection against stealth group assassination. I wouldn't be sad to see it go altogether, either.

That said, sorcs have a truly amazing variety of powerful spells. Even if they lose Final Strike, I don't see any reason to give them a new Master-level spell. They have Petrification instead of Finger of Death. And while they don't have a damage spell like Magma Spray, that seems a fair exchange for their fantastic utility and save-or-die spells.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:54 pm 
Mortal

help sorceror wrote:
Sorcerors concentrate on those spells which affect
the world and people around them.

I wasn't thinking so much of giving sorcerors an attack spell at master level instead of final strike. I was thinking of giving them something like D&D's prismatic wall. Only on SK it would be called wall of colors. In truth though if Dulrik took it out he'd put his own spell in so I didn't bother suggesting anything.

But yea, Prismatic wall could work in all kinds of places. It could work indoors as a barrier placed by a player to close off a room from other rooms. I don't see it working well out of doors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:08 pm 
Gold Donor

SK Character: None
My experience with final strike has been quite slim. The only times I've actually seen it used was with poor RP after, or going into it with little or crappy RP in the first place. ...And the one time I actually remember using it was near deletion, soooooo...

I will side with the people who say it should be replaced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:30 pm 
Mortal

And with the changes to Final Strike, even if it is a good time for it, it really discourages players to use it. I don't agree with prismatic wall though, don't think it'll work well.

You think of a great spellcaster, and not only can they absorb spells, or affects, but possibly send some back toward the caster. Just an idea. I think a defensive spell is a good idea though if final strike is ever taken out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:00 pm 
Mortal

In my opinion, final strike was never *meant* to be a useful spell. Sorceror do not need the sort of boost a more useful spell would give them, in any way shape or form. It is one of the most played classes already - if anything, they can handle a whimp (though I think they're fine where they currently are).

I don't really care whether final strike is taken away or not - I havent seen it abused in the 1½ years I've played, and I rather like it for pure RP reasons, but hey. If it is wished removed I'm not a great enough fan to protest that either. I am, however, strongly against replacing it with anything more useful.

Last edited by Alea on Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:06 pm 
Mortal

Sorcerors are already extremly powerful. Nigh unstoppable in the right hands. They don't need a replacement for final strike that is useful. I could see final strike being removed and then sorcerors not having master level spells. Quite a few classes stop at mentor. Be glad they got what they do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:21 pm 
Mortal

Final strike is there for a reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:22 pm 
Mortal

It might be cool to replace it with a weak spell that could be kewl for rp purposes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:02 pm 
Mortal

Final strike is fine as is. Its an epic spell.