Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:16 am 
Mortal

Because if you don't get it trained to mastered, and if mastered doesn't give you a 100% success rate, it's going to be a pain.

And if you can train it right to mastered, what's the point?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:24 am 
Mortal

SK Character: Galstan/Cyril/Ulrich/Elar
If you noticed I said harderer. I honestly don't care and don't quite understand why you would lobby so hard to have such an insiginifcant change. I really don't see what making a skill into something that we get already for free adds to the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:58 pm 
Mortal Contributor

silmar wrote:
Two quick things about how it makes Sk harder XP to train skill ride at a newbi this could mean an extra hour in the newbi school RL time. Chance to get hurt from failing ride this could mean a trip to the afterlife as a newbi. It comes back to the simple Pro vs Con. Im seeing a lot of Cons and, well as it stands no Pros. What is the point of the Skill. What does it achive. Basicly why should coding time be spent on this over say making a new race. Reworking the level advancement system so that is says congratuations you are now a mentor.

- Since when does it take an hour to get the exp to learn any amature skills? And even if it did, who cares? If you want to boil the game down to an hour by hour series of events and results your going to be wasting your time. When those newbies grow up they can look forward to wasting three or four hours in dying and getting corpses back all over the place. One hour is a paltry amount of time. You are just getting desperate.

- I dont' think you should get hurt if you fail the ride skill. I think your mount should stop for a tick. So newbies won't be dying.

- Why should time be spent coding a new skill? What it acheives is it makes the game funner and more realistic. It enables you to further immerse yourself in the game setting, it makes travel for newbies easier so they can get skills and find training areas quicker instead of spending your precious one hour having their mounts sleep or loosing mounts and spending all their coins, which can be hard to get under the new economic system, on new horses. The list goes on and on.

- If you think Dulrik can get a new race onto the mud in the same amount of time it would take him to add a skill you are dreaming. Dulrik spent 7 years adding bards. Who knows what a race would take.

As for the pro's and con's count you inventing non-existant cons, and overlooked all the pro's I have stated again and again and again. In fact your arguement is so devoid of anything even resembling a good reason to be against this skill and so blatently over looking the many benifits that I have stated over and over again, that I am begining to think that you are against it for personal reasons and not even considering the game. Do you have a grudge against me or something?

Adding this skill isn't insignifican't. Infact It's far from it. As it stands now everyone moves at the same speed so if you are riding, running, or darting, you will be hard to catch but as skill like this could help people overcome that in many ways. I'm not going to go into how useful or important this skill is because you either can't think of it yourself or you won't accept it. But a skill like this is not insignificant and it's not as useless as having a congrats message when you reach to mentor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:48 am 
Mortal

Quote:
Adding this skill isn't insignifican't. Infact It's far from it. As it stands now everyone moves at the same speed so if you are riding, running, or darting, you will be hard to catch but as skill like this could help people overcome that in many ways.

If you're seriously suggesting different movement speeds, I agree that could be interesting. But why would horses and camels be faster than wyverns? Are we going to increase the speed of monsters in general? I think escaping by fleeing is quite hard enough for many chasers.

If you're just talking about less PE loss from riding, I don't see the problem. I don't see many low-level riders resting their horses along the roads. High-level characters have potential access to fly, which is supposed to be better.

I grant there are some characters who shouldn't know how to ride horses. But I don't mind letting them roleplay that. The rest of us can do just fine without dealing with the training mechanic. (Besides, does it really make sense a low-intelligence mercenary would ride worse than a priest?)

So I'm afraid I'm not seeing something worth coding yet. Sorry.

[Edited to add: Oh, and whatever concept you come up with should include griffons, who are both player characters and mounts. For example, does it make sense that they travel with less PE loss when carrying someone?]