Shattered Kingdoms

Where Roleplay and Tactics Collide
VOTE NOW!
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:20 pm 
Mortal

Travelling is one thing. Anyone can do that at the normal saunter, but not everyone would be able to properly ride a gallopping or trotting horse. And that doesn't even count the fact of people fighting on the back of a mount. I highly doubt that everyone had practice with this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:24 pm 
Mortal Contributor

silmar wrote:
Why dont we make it so the Ride skill costs PE per move.
Just because it is true to life doesnt make it improve the game. Yes in history people might not have had contact with a horse to learn to ride. Guess what in History people couldnt communicate mentally across the world.
Ride skill will make SK less newbi friend. I ask what is the point of it beyond that?

How about, no? I don't see what possible connection you could make with the ride skill costing more pe then just riding. If anything the ride skill would reduce the pe cost of using a horse for both horse and rider. Anything after you first sentance I'm not reading because it's so totally rediculous.

In fact now that you brought this up I can see horses being used untrained but at the normal pe cost, where as a skilled rider would reduce the pe cost for for both horse and rider. That's probably exactly how it should work. Also on a failed skill roll you'd be force to stop your overland travel for a round.

Deep down, I think this skill isn't in the game already because it's probably going to come in some form as a trade skill in the future. Maybe a charioteer or wagon driver skill. I don't know. Dulrik said he wants ships and vehicles in the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:33 pm 
Mortal Contributor

silmar wrote:
Just because it is true to life doesnt make it improve the game. Yes in history people might not have had contact with a horse to learn to ride. Guess what in History people couldnt communicate mentally across the world.
Ride skill will make SK less newbi friend. I ask what is the point of it beyond that?

How about, no? I don't see what possible connection you could make with the ride skill costing more pe then just riding. If anything the ride skill would reduce the pe cost of using a horse for both horse and rider. Anything after you first sentance I'm not reading because it's so totally rediculous.

In fact now that you brought this up I can see horses being used untrained but at the normal pe cost, where as a skilled rider would reduce the pe cost for for both horse and rider. It would effectively reduce the PE cost for each speed walking, trotting, and galloping. So you could actually hop on a horse and ride someone down across the desert or what ever just like in stories like; "Black Colossus." That's probably exactly how it should work. Also on a failed skill roll you'd be force to stop your overland travel for a round.

Deep down, I think this skill isn't in the game already because it's probably going to come in some form as a trade skill in the future. Maybe a charioteer or wagon driver skill. I don't know. Dulrik said he wants ships and vehicles in the game.

Now why don't we say something totally off the mark and compare it to tells and call that arguement. Why should someone have to wield a sword? I mean in a world where people can pick up fifty objects at once off the ground with a simple get all comand shouldn't just be able to type kill so and so and your character would do it? Yiou shouldn't have to equip him yourself.

:o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:34 pm 
Mortal Contributor

silmar wrote:

In fact now that you brought this up I can see horses being used untrained but at the normal pe cost, where as a skilled rider would reduce the pe cost for for both horse and rider. It would effectively reduce the PE cost for each speed walking, trotting, and galloping. So you could actually hop on a horse and ride someone down across the desert or what ever just like in stories like; "Black Colossus." That's probably exactly how it should work. Also on a failed skill roll you'd be force to stop your overland travel for a round.

Now why don't we say something totally off the mark and compare it to other commands and call that an arguement. Why should someone have to wield a sword? I mean in a world where people can pick up fifty objects at once off the ground with a simple get all comand shouldn't just be able to type kill so and so and your character would do it? You shouldn't have to equip him yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:36 pm 
Mortal Contributor

silmar wrote:

sarcasm wrote:
Now why don't we say something totally off the mark and compare it to other commands and call that an arguement. Why should someone have to wield a sword? I mean in a world where people can pick up fifty objects at once off the ground with a simple get all comand shouldn't you just be able to type kill so and so and your character would do it? You shouldn't have to equip him yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:43 pm 
Mortal Contributor

silmar wrote:

sarcasm wrote:
Now why don't we say something totally off the mark and compare it to other commands and call that an arguement. Why should someone have to wield a sword? I mean in a world where people can pick up fifty objects at once off the ground with a simple get all comand shouldn't you just be able to type kill so and so and your character would do it? You shouldn't have to equip him yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:49 pm 
Mortal Contributor

silmar wrote:

How about, no? I don't see what possible connection you could make with the ride skill costing more pe then just riding. If anything the ride skill would reduce the pe cost of using a horse for both horse and rider. As for making the mud less newbi friendly it would do just the opposite, read on.

Now that you brought this up I can see horses being used untrained but at the normal pe cost, where as a skilled rider would reduce the pe cost for for both horse and rider. It would effectively reduce the PE cost for each speed walking, trotting, and galloping. So you could actually hop on a horse and ride someone down across the desert or what ever just like in stories like; "Black Colossus." That's probably exactly how it should work. Also on a failed skill roll you'd be force to stop your overland travel for a round.

I wouldn't have normally said this, but around here with people like Silmar I guess I have to. If a newbie trains the riding skill, it will actually make it easier for him to travel because the newbie, with a mount, would use less pe, then an untrained newbie on a mount. So there's a crap paragraph for all you who follow the herd and don't think.

sarcasm wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:54 pm 
Mortal Contributor

silmar wrote:

How about, no? I don't see what possible connection you could make with the ride skill costing more pe then just riding. If anything the ride skill would reduce the pe cost of using a horse for both horse and rider. As for making the mud less newbi friendly it would do just the opposite, read on.

Now that you brought this up I can see horses being used untrained but at the normal pe cost, where as a skilled rider would reduce the pe cost for for both horse and rider. It would effectively reduce the PE cost for each speed walking, trotting, and galloping. So you could actually hop on a horse and ride someone down across the desert or what ever just like in stories like; "Black Colossus." That's probably exactly how it should work. Also on a failed skill roll you'd be force to stop your overland travel for a round.

I wouldn't have normally said this, but around here with people like Silmar I guess I have to. If a newbie trains the riding skill, it will actually make it easier for him to travel because the newbie, with a mount, would use less pe, then an untrained newbie on a mount. So there's a crap paragraph for all you who follow the herd and don't think.

sarcasm wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:04 pm 
Mortal Contributor

silmar wrote:

sarcasm wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:09 pm 
Mortal Contributor

silmar wrote:

sarcasm wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next