Post subject: Adjectives
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:46 pm 
Mortal

Help file wrote:
help adjective
[Communication help] adjective

Syntax: adjective <describing word>

You get one chance to give yourself a SINGLE describing word of less than
15 letters that will stay with you for the ENTIRE life of your character.
This word should be something that describes your character's physical
appearance and would be immediately obvious to people seeing you for the
first time. Be sure that the adjective is:
- still valid if you are asleep or unaware of someone looking at you
- does not refer to emotions or behaviour not based on appearance
- should not represent anything that is not a part of your body
- should not refer to clothing or equipment, color or have punctuation

You will NEVER be able to change your adjective, so use this command very
carefully. Adjective changes may be requested but we don't make any
guarantee that we will do it for you. An adjective is REQUIRED, so please
set one as soon as possible. Players who haven't greeted you will see
something similar to the following:
Adjective not set: A male human is here.
Adjective of tall: A tall male human is here.

The adjective can be used as a target for a command in the same way that
your name would be used. Here are a few example adjectives that would be
considered acceptable:
short tall wrinkled dirty
immaculate red-haired green-eyed brooding
rotund mercurial sneaky pale
smelly frail flamboyant noble

See also: description action title faq pray

Okay people. Once again for Fepel to [REDACTED] about something. The majority of you out there find fairly good, PHYSICAL adjectives out there, but when I peek around and find "A bipolar male half-elf", or "a profound male human", or "an antediluvian male giant".

Let's look at a few definitions, shall we?

Quote:
bi‧po‧lar  /baɪˈpoʊlər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[bahy-poh-ler] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective 1. having two poles, as the earth.
2. of, pertaining to, or found at both polar regions.
3. characterized by opposite extremes, as two conflicting political philosophies.
4. Electronics. of or pertaining to a transistor that uses both positive and negative charge carriers.

Quote:
pro‧found  /prəˈfaʊnd/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pruh-found] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation adjective, -er, -est, noun

–adjective 1. penetrating or entering deeply into subjects of thought or knowledge; having deep insight or understanding: a profound thinker.
2. originating in or penetrating to the depths of one's being; profound grief.
3. being or going far beneath what is superficial, external, or obvious: profound insight.
4. of deep meaning; of great and broadly inclusive significance: a profound book.
5. pervasive or intense; thorough; complete: a profound silence.
6. extending, situated, or originating far down, or far beneath the surface: the profound depths of the ocean.
7. low: a profound bow.
8. deep.

Quote:
an‧te‧di‧lu‧vi‧an  /ˌæntidɪˈluviən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[an-tee-di-loo-vee-uhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective 1. of or belonging to the period before the Flood. Gen. 7, 8.
2. very old, old-fashioned, or out of date; antiquated; primitive: antediluvian ideas.
–noun 3. a person who lived before the Flood.
4. a very old or old-fashioned person or thing.

So... to be bipolar, in a physical sense, is to have to magnetic poles... Half-elves, to my understanding are not magnetic. The mental characteristic of being bipolar is NOT a physical characteristic. When you are sleeping... you are not bipolar. When you are dead... you are not bipolar. When a person looks at you for the first time, before you utter a word, a phrase, an ideal, and twice as much before you can utter a conflicting one, you are not bipolar.

To be profound physically...... you can't be, it's a mental characteristic. See bipolar.

To be antediluvian, the only possibly good one in this list, is to act or dress in an achrononystic fashion, or to be very very very old. Frollith is antediluvian... Delear is antediluvian... both not by their own concession, but by the concession of time. A giant just created at the ripe old age of fifteen is not an ancient, though he may act with the disposition of an anachonist, perhaps this is more a mental trait than anything else.

People can be short, or tall, or a certain skin tone, or a hair colour, or an eye colour, or have a cleft pallet, or buck teeth, or comely, or ugly, or lithe, or peg-legged, or one-eyed or a bajillion other physical characteristics. Why is it time and time again that people keep using mental characteristics to describe themselves?

Please please please adhere to the helpfiles in your future creations. If you aren't sure if it's a physical characteristic, ask yourself these questions. When I'm dead/sleeping do I still display this characteristic? When someone sees me for the first time, knowing nothing else of my person, would they/could they refer to me thusly?

Thank you for your attention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:15 pm 
Mortal Contributor

I would've taken your post seriously if you would honestly stop using the goddamned code tag. You're:

a) Not using it for code,
b) Not apparently realizing it stretches the goddamned forums out of normal margins, forcing us to scroll to read your post.

People seriously don't even bother reading what you post anymore after you do stuff like that. I know I didn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:29 pm 
I don't understand why people always complain about the code tags for, I've never noticed a problem with having to scroll to read anything?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:32 pm 
Mortal

If you have a screen resolution smaller than 1280x1024 you will notice this problem. It's because the <tr> of this forum are set to 100% width, instead of a set amount of pixels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:42 pm 
Sadly, I have no idea what D-A is talking about. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:00 pm 
Mortal

Don't worry Syn, you aren't the only one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:02 pm 
Mortal

SK Character: That one guy who pk'd you.
I hate adjectives where I have to whip out a dictionary to understand what it means.

Keep it simple please.

But not too simple like a big male giant.

And I asbolutely HATE when folks make adjectives to help them in pk. Like a large male hellion to go with his large horse. IMHO if you make an adjective that will make it the same as your pet, then have it so you cannot buy a pet that has the same adjective as you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:43 pm 
Mortal

A cheer for bashing all these silly adjectives based on mental or spiritual traits. Especially if your character's actions sometimes contradict it. I understand the desire to be original, but adjectives are meant to be more vague than names. SK can live with a few more burly characters.

A jeer for using code. Contrary to DA, I'm using a much bigger resolution than 1280x1024, and it STILL stretches the forum so I have to scroll left and right to read anything on this page. If you must use code instead of quote (which there's almost no reason to do), add regular carriage returns!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:25 pm 
Gold Donor

SK Character: None
Remind me to use 'sundering' again sometime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:40 pm 
Mortal

Dark-Avenger wrote:
If you have a screen resolution smaller than 1280x1024 you will notice this problem. It's because the <tr> of this forum are set to 100% width, instead of a set amount of pixels.

You mean the <td> silly n00b :P